PDA

View Full Version : Overhyped, over-heated. Who is Ron talking about?

Mickey T
16th January 2007, 22:09
from Ron Dennis at lunch monday.

"a couple of the young drivers in Formula One are overhyped, over-heated and overblown. And, what's worse, they are starting to believe their own press, to their detriment."

who do you reckon he was talking about?

BeansBeansBeans
16th January 2007, 22:16
Probably Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton.

schmenke
16th January 2007, 23:33
Fisichella and Massa

pino
16th January 2007, 23:38
I am sure he's not referring to Trulli :p :

DonnieDarco
16th January 2007, 23:44
Well, one of them's almost bound to be Kimi :D

Just to clarify, he did call Ron a control freak :D

Mickey T
17th January 2007, 00:03
the word "young" was the key one...

could only be one of the following:

1. Rosberg
2. Kubica
3. Vittel
4. Heikki
5. anybody from red bull 2/spyker/

it could not be:

1. anyone from Ferrari (including its two testers)
2. anyone from McLaren (he's not slagging his own)
3. anyone from toyota
4. anyone from honda
5. anyone from red bull 1
6. anyone austrian from Williams...

DonnieDarco
17th January 2007, 00:13
You know Kimi's not old, right? :D

BeansBeansBeans
17th January 2007, 00:23
You know Kimi's not old, right? :D

Well, he may not be old, but in F1 terms, he isn't young either. He'll be 28 this year.

XSARA
17th January 2007, 01:09
did you happen to be at this lunch?? are you reporting Ron saying this first-hand?? :eek: :eek: :D

Ranger
17th January 2007, 05:33
I'd say Hekki. Briatore thinks he is the Anti-Alonso. Considering Ron now has Fernando in his pocket, I'd say that is who he is referring to.

harsha
17th January 2007, 05:39
it might be Heikki,but it could be the BMW duo of Kubica and Vettel

iks
17th January 2007, 07:33
heikki and kubica are my guesses.

millencolin
17th January 2007, 07:38
Rosberg and ... alonso? :p :

ShiftingGears
17th January 2007, 07:47
Dunno, I just see it as him trying to psych up his own team by vaguely critisising others without factual evidence. But thats just me.

Gannex
17th January 2007, 08:46
I feel sure Ron has Kubica in mind, and I think there's a lot of truth to what Ron said. The boy is obviously very talented and very quick, but he does, in his public statements, appear a little over-confident. Contrast that with Hamilton or Kovalainen; these guys are confident, yes, sure that they can cope, definitely, but appear to be under no illusions about the massive challenges they are facing. Not so, Kubica.

wmcot
17th January 2007, 08:59
Relative to Ron, all drivers are "young" so you can't really rule anyone out. (But it's probably not Ide and Yamamoto.)

jens
17th January 2007, 13:25
Easy. We just have to see whom we and the media are hyping up. :p :

So one guy, he probably refers to, is Kubica, who got a lot of attention at the end of last season. Other one is probably Kovalainen - a driver from a potential rival team, so Ron is trying to downplay their chances.

DimitraF1
17th January 2007, 13:34
ron dennis will have plenty of time all year to discuss for other teams drivers ,as his team will be midfield :P

AndyRAC
17th January 2007, 13:34
Jensen Button, not the youngest, but certainly over hyped and overheated. Always has been since he first started.

Where is Marc Hynes now?? 1999 British F3 Champion, (not Button).

Knock-on
17th January 2007, 14:59
Probably JV :laugh:

BeansBeansBeans
17th January 2007, 15:02
Where is Marc Hynes now? 1999 British F3 Champion, (not Button).

He was last seen racing an LNT TVR in 2005 I believe.

I struggle to see why people think Hynes is automatically a better driver than Button, simply because he came out on top in one season of F3. Warren Hughes destroyed Marc Hynes in an F3000 shootout, so perhaps that means Warren Hughes is better than Button too.

GRAVETT
17th January 2007, 15:06
in september last year whilst at a silverstone i was talkin to the mclaren guys in the paddock and was surprised at how little respect they had for massa when talking about him so maybe ronny boy is meaning massa and im pretty certain kimi is the 2nd

ioan
17th January 2007, 15:11

"a couple of the young drivers in Formula One are overhyped, over-heated and overblown. And, what's worse, they are starting to believe their own press, to their detriment."

Who knows? Half the time Ron's mouth speaks without maintaining contact with his brain, so...
Keep in mind that both his drivers are young and very young.

wedge
17th January 2007, 15:55
Kubica?!

Are you guys kidding?

Monza was fantastic - he had much more fuel than the supposedly Quick Nick and easily overtook him.

Kubica proved himself as a solid GP driver and made Heidfeld pull his finger out in just about every dry race.

Anyway, Ron definitely is referring to Rosberg. One good race and he has been hailed as the next best thing, though IMO I'm prepared to give him another 11 months to finalise my judgement.

Dunno who the other guys are, maybe Vittel? Liuzzi?

GRAVETT
17th January 2007, 15:59
no need for ron to comment on liuzzi as its pretty obvious the guy is junk

VresiBerba
18th January 2007, 00:17

A source would be helpful. Do you have any?

Ranger
18th January 2007, 00:52
A source would be helpful. Do you have any?

Mickey T was at the McLaren launch and I think he has the quotes down from there. Unless he is lying, which I doubt.

Hawkmoon
18th January 2007, 01:06
It wouldn't surprise me if Ron is talking about Raikkonen and Massa. Considering Ron's dislike for all things from Maranello, his nose must be pretty out of joint after Raikkonen's defection to the Parncing Horse.

I think Ron took a great deal of satisfaction out of pinching Raikkonen from under Ferrari's nose in 2001, so to see Kimi end up in red anyway, and without delivering a championship, might be a little galling for ol' Ron.

He could also be talking about Vettel, Kubica or Kovalainen. If he is, I think he needs to be a little careful as I think Hamilton fits the same description.

VresiBerba
18th January 2007, 01:21
Mickey T was at the McLaren launch and I think he has the quotes down from there. Unless he is lying, which I doubt.

Well, good for him. But if Ron actually said this, I seriously doubt it would not pickup on at least one F1 website. It IS after all very sleasy stuff.

tinchote
18th January 2007, 06:52
The funny part is that if we cannot even guess who he was talking about, what was his point?

Classic pointless Ron :mark:

CarlMetro
18th January 2007, 09:56
Well if he wasn't talking about Rosberg then he should have been ;)

Then again who really gives a stiff what Ron says about anyone?

janneppi
18th January 2007, 10:22
From the Launch thread i would gather that Ron was asked about Lewis and how he will cope.

The Achilles heel is can he cope with the knocks? And it’s you guys who will give him the knocks.
There are some young guys in F1 that are overheated and overrated and overhyped and starting to believe their own press. To their detriment, I think. I don’t think he will be like that.
Having the more of Ronspeak put's the comment in better perspective.

It would be nice to how leading the questions were.

Mickey T
18th January 2007, 11:37
From the Launch thread i would gather that Ron was asked about Lewis and how he will cope.

Having the more of Ronspeak put's the comment in better perspective.

It would be nice to how leading the questions were.

You are correct!

The context of Ron's quote was in reference to Lewis's maturity at such a young age.

And the sledge at whichever young driver he thought of as overhyped was unprompted by a question.

Ron was arguing that Lewis was on his way in every aspect of his career in F1, except that his media profile needed to be managed very tightly. don't expect one-on-one interviews with him, for example.

My personal belief is that he was taking a shot at Nico, but he didn't actually say who he was referring to...

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 02:02
Kubica is a blow hard, I would agree with Ron on that one.....couldn't say who the other one would be.....