PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race - Australian GP

ioan
16th March 2008, 22:13
For me it's between NH, NR and FA.
I'll go with NH because he got his place based on his steady and fast driving. But any of these three are good candidates.

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 22:16
There are too many candidates, none of whom I can choose between.

Hamilton was just very impressive throughout a disjointed race. Likewise, Heidfeld and Rosberg couldn't have done any better. Alonso made the very best of his equipment. And, had his race not turned into an utter disaster, Barrichello would be right up there in my list.

ioan
16th March 2008, 22:22
You're right too many of them.
I'll add Bourdais to the list. He was very steady and could hold his position very well in front of FA, HK and KR.

Rubens did show what a real old school driver knows, good clean racing! :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2008, 22:25
I think i'll go for Lewis for making the win look so simple

gloomyDAY
16th March 2008, 22:31
Bourdais!

Unbelievable when his engine failed, but he put in a great drive.
This is all I wanted to see. The fire from CCWS has carried over to F1.

Nikki Katz
16th March 2008, 22:35
That's a tough one. Realistically it's probably Hamilton, but I don't want to give it to him on the grounds that he was hardly actually on telly. He was certainly very good and it didn't look like past the first corner he was really tested. The same could really be said about Heidfeld and Rosberg.
Oh, possibly Alonso for making overtaking moves that worked rather than just punting people off the track, which seemed to be the preferred method today.

Tazio
16th March 2008, 22:38
Fred

Tazio
16th March 2008, 22:44
Bourdais!

Unbelievable when his engine failed, but he put in a great drive.
This is all I wanted to see. The fire from CCWS has carried over to F1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYbEPZVVIA

Rollo
16th March 2008, 22:54
The commentary seemed to suggest that Bourdais was doing very well considering it was his "rookie" season. I discount their surprise to be honest because you don't get to be champion of any racing series without having a fair amount of nous and skill; yesterday Bourdais showed us yet again that he has both in spades.
What let him down was the same reason as every Ferrari engined runner, quite frankly the engines were rubbish.

wedge
16th March 2008, 22:57
Lewis is an obvious choice.

I'd go for Heidfeld, Bourdais and Alonso where wise heads prevailed.

Tazio
16th March 2008, 23:04
Webber

markabilly
16th March 2008, 23:10
FA or LH

NH? Are you kidding?? Put FA in the car and we would have atleast made LH do some racing, and at least one attempt at a pass after the safety car left the track for the last time.

Beemer perhaps for "car of the race" due to their improvement, but they still need a super-duper champion quality driver

Stuartf12007
16th March 2008, 23:53
Bourdais for me, he showed his true driving skills off by having no offs or incidents, only the car failed him.

wedge
17th March 2008, 00:06
NH? Are you kidding?? Put FA in the car and we would have atleast made LH do some racing, and at least one attempt at a pass after the safety car left the track for the last time.

Beemer perhaps for "car of the race" due to their improvement, but they still need a super-duper champion quality driver

Can't disagree with that. It was a crazy race and NH deserved credit at the very least for keeping out of harms way and getting the podium. Another classic example of NH of being the kind of driver who would rather bring the car home than risk glory.

mstillhere
17th March 2008, 00:18
Alonso. I really was impressed. I did not think you would have been able to keep the escargot he was driving in front of a McLaren. Hats off to FA.

millencolin
17th March 2008, 00:23
Bourdais. He really impressed me. Wasn't fazed about who was behind him, just kept his head down and raced as hard as he could. Now all he needs to do is sort out qualifying and he'll be sweet.

Osella
17th March 2008, 00:24
Bourdais, without doubt.

Had to laugh/sigh in dismay when the commentators in the UK expressed such surprise he was holding off two 'world champions'...
He's actually a 4-time world champion himself you know guys ;)

Roamy
17th March 2008, 00:55
what a good showing by some drivers

I liked FA SB because they drove their asses off in inferior equipment.
But KR, NR and RB really looked good too. It is a exciting season beginning.

SB was probably the most deserving !!

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 02:10
Bourdais

Tazio
17th March 2008, 02:34
Bourdais

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/8106/Anthems/france.htm

CNR
17th March 2008, 03:01
how would Bourdais have gone in an A team. ?

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 03:06

Answer: A Helluva lot better than Junior!

truefan72
17th March 2008, 03:56
1. Hamilton
2. Bourdais
3. Alonso

Shifter
17th March 2008, 04:23
Boudais. Yes hes a true talent, but in a Toro Rosso? Wow they havn't even brought their 08 car to the party yet! (Remember how bad that late chassis worked out for Ferrari a couple years ago?)

Rollo
17th March 2008, 04:26

http://www.geocities.com/boswald6/sebteam.jpg

Bosco "Bad Ass" Baracus wouldn't have taken any of his jibba-jabba and would have belted the living **** out of him. He don't hate Bourdais, he just pity da foo'

harsha
17th March 2008, 04:27
Winners

1.Hamilton
2.Bourdais
3.Rosberg
4.Alonso
5.Heikki

LOSERS

1.Piquet
2.Ferrari
3.BMW Strategy on Kubica
4.Honda
5.Barrichello

Ranger
17th March 2008, 04:41
Alonso, Barrichello and Bourdais.

leopard
17th March 2008, 05:40
and Rosberg. Considering Renault is now not even better car than Toyota, I think the vote may go to Alonso.

It seems without Alonso driving a competitive car, McLaren will snatch the title away from Ferrari far easier. ;)

Storm
17th March 2008, 07:55
Sebastien Bourdais..very unlucky to miss out on 4th place on debut.

Also good were Alonso, Hamilton and Rubens (except for the red light brain-fade)

pino
17th March 2008, 07:58
Sebastien Bourdais...thread closed ! :p :

samuratt
17th March 2008, 08:52
Lewis was great, but he didn't have to push at all. Heidfeld was perfect again but he didn't risk a bit. Sebastian was impresive in his Toro Rosso, but he didn't finish the race...

So my vote goes to Alonso. Great driving in a clearly inferior car (i bet he will struggle to get in the points this seasson) and an outstanding overtaking on Kimi and Kovalainen with a car 1sec slower than them. That is driver skill and no car advantage bullsh!t

SGWilko
17th March 2008, 10:48
Rubens did show what a real old school driver knows, good clean racing! :up:

Amen to that. The pit stop screw up was the lollypop man's error, the red light, well maybe we can excuse him wanting to get on with it given his excellent drive. Nice to see Ruby enjoying himself again....

gm99
17th March 2008, 11:38
Hamilton for never putting a wheel wrong on a day when most others did.

Bourdais for a great debut and for holding his own against Alonso and Kovalainen.
Rosberg for a well-deserved podium finish.
Alonso for a very mature drive in a very inferior car.

keysersoze
17th March 2008, 12:11
http://www.geocities.com/boswald6/sebteam.jpg

Bosco "Bad Ass" Baracus wouldn't have taken any of his jibba-jabba and would have belted the living **** out of him. He don't hate Bourdais, he just pity da foo'

brilliant! well done Rollo! :D

MAX_THRUST
17th March 2008, 12:18
Don't think Alonso was that great, he was hugely helped by SAfety Cars, but then so was Bordais and he is my driver of the day, so one person suffered everytime the safety car came out and that was the leader. He pulled away at all restarts and dominated.

Well done Lewis.

Either way it was a great race for the fans and that is what matters.

aryan
17th March 2008, 14:10
Bourdais for his awesome performance in his first F1 race. He showed he has racecraft.

Bagwan
17th March 2008, 15:35
Rubens wins driver of the race hands down , for his bringing that car up .
Too bad he was worried for his team-mates , looking in his mirrors as he went through the red light .

Bourdais , although a stellar drive , benefitted greatly from not having to run the white stripes long . He might not have looked so good if he had had to .

trumperZ06
17th March 2008, 15:48
:D SeaBass... after dominating Champ Car with 1st class equipment...

moves over to Toro Rossa, a second tiered team.

Sebastian demostrated his race craft talent and experience !!!

trumperZ06
17th March 2008, 15:57
I'll add Bourdais to the list. He was very steady and could hold his position very well in front of FA, HK and KR.

:p : Hhmmm Ioan... How do you like your Crow Burger ?

;) SeaBass, being a four time Champ Car Champion...

certainly has the talent to drive in Formula One.

ioan
17th March 2008, 16:30

:p : Hhmmm Ioan... How do you like your Crow Burger ?

;) SeaBass, being a four time Champ Car Champion...

certainly has the talent to drive in Formula One.

I won't transform this thread into a stupid fight over Champ Car and so on.
I'll just give you an advice. Wait long enough to be able to have a solid base for a conclusion. ;)

PS: Saw no crow around here, they must be all sitting on top of your house! :p :

trumperZ06
17th March 2008, 16:52
I won't transform this thread into a stupid fight over Champ Car and so on.
I'll just give you an advice. Wait long enough to be able to have a solid base for a conclusion. ;)

PS: Saw no crow around here, they must be all sitting on top of your house! :p :

:p : BruHaaHaaa, another well thought out comment !!!

You ought to be ashamed of yourself !!!

:rolleyes: 1st you belittle anyone from USA Open Wheel racing, (which includes Mario Andretti & J Venenue)...

Then you try to hitch a ride on Sesbestian's bandwagon !!!

Hope you enjoy eating Crow.... looks likely to remain the main course...

on your diet !!!

ioan
17th March 2008, 17:12
:p : BruHaaHaaa, another well thought out comment !!!

You ought to be ashamed of yourself !!!

:rolleyes: 1st you belittle anyone from USA Open Wheel racing, (which includes Mario Andretti & J Venenue)...

Then you try to hitch a ride on Sesbestian's bandwagon !!!

Hope you enjoy eating Crow.... looks likely to remain the main course...

on your diet !!!

I'm not ashamed of myself, I'm rather ashamed to be involved in a discussion with you.

Lay of the cool aid before posting your next answer. I'm having troubles understanding what you are trying to say!

PS: Who's J Venenue??? :rotflmao:

jens
17th March 2008, 17:15
Most of the names that deserve credit have already been mentioned. Who else can be brought out then?

Sato - wonderful drive in the worst car. Was driving in 11th position and kept it for quite long. What a shame that the car failed.

Trulli was doing very well too - what a shame the car gave up, it could have been a very good result by the end.

F1boat
17th March 2008, 17:21
Sebastien Bourdais. If he was in a BMW, Lewis himself would have faced an invincible rookie ;)
But Lewis and Alonso drove very well, too. Nico was also very good.

GaryG
17th March 2008, 18:09
1 - Bourbais: First time in F1 in an old car, brilliant racecraft, held off Freddie and Heikki.

2 - Heidfeld: Solid, steady drive. Keep his head.

3 - Rosberg: See Heidfeld.

4 - Hamilton: Best driver in a top line car. A drive we have come to expect from him.

5 - Alonso: Showed his old fire in an average (at best) car.

samuratt
18th March 2008, 09:24
Don't think Alonso was that great, he was hugely helped by SAfety Cars, but then so was Bordais and he is my driver of the day, so one person suffered everytime the safety car came out and that was the leader. He pulled away at all restarts and dominated.

Well done Lewis.

Either way it was a great race for the fans and that is what matters.

I do not know which race you watched, but Alonso wasn't helped at all by any SC. In fact Bourdais pitstop strategy alongo the SC, helped him to overtake Alonso, Kubica and Kovalainen, otherwise he would have ended the race behind them.

555-04Q2
18th March 2008, 11:03
Hamilton. The guy is the next Schumacher.

MAX_THRUST
18th March 2008, 12:16
Someone shoot Ioan with the crows please.

You spout so much hatred about drivers and other posters why don't you just bug out and leave the grown ups to sensible discussions.

Children should be seen and not heard. You have offended me in the past by calling me a racist. Get a grip, you must have had a very lonely childhood.

Moderator yes this is a personal attack, as you don't seem to be moderating the drivel that spouts from Ioan.

Why does every thread get turned into dross when he is involved?

WALDO on the Indy car forum and Iaon over here.

MAX_THRUST
18th March 2008, 12:20
Anyone behind the leader benefits on restarts, no matter where they are. The leader always looses out on restarts.

FA did at least finnish the race. I just didn't thut didn't set my puink he set the world on fire and as a two time Champion you expect him to perform well.If he'd won I'd be saying how great he is. It was a solid performance, but didn't set my pulse racing.

aryan
18th March 2008, 12:30

God forbid! :p

Big Ben
18th March 2008, 13:37
I'd say FA. I could say LH was pretty good but since nobody challenged him and I can't stand him... he stank.

SGWilko
18th March 2008, 13:59
he stank.

Probably the heat. :laugh:

samuratt
18th March 2008, 14:02
Anyone behind the leader benefits on restarts, no matter where they are. The leader always looses out on restarts.

That is not true! Alonso was 6th o 7th before the second SC, and afterwards he was eleven. If you mean that teh gap to the leader is closer, yes. But I can see any benefit from being 5th 30sec from the 1st and being 11th 5 sec of the leader.

Knock-on
18th March 2008, 14:06

No need to insult the poor boy lol

Was impressed with Rosberg and Seb but ultimatly, Lewis lead from the front and takes the plaudits in my opinion.

ioan
18th March 2008, 18:33
Someone shoot Ioan with the crows please.

You spout so much hatred about drivers and other posters why don't you just bug out and leave the grown ups to sensible discussions.

Children should be seen and not heard. You have offended me in the past by calling me a racist. Get a grip, you must have had a very lonely childhood.

Moderator yes this is a personal attack, as you don't seem to be moderating the drivel that spouts from Ioan.

Why does every thread get turned into dross when he is involved?

WALDO on the Indy car forum and Iaon over here.

:?:

stevie_gerrard
24th March 2008, 00:26
Rosberg without a doubt, did a super job in the first race.