PDA

View Full Version : When will Porsche give in?

Funks
16th March 2008, 15:04
The result at Sebring proved that you can be an LMP2 car that is 2 seconds a lap slower than the P1 cars - but still win.

When are the suits at Stuttgart going to stop messing around and take up an invitation to do Le Mans? I don't buy this excuse that they are waiting for the day to come when the rules change to give them a decent chance of overall victory, just go for it.

They are going to have to build a dome cockpit prototype to comply with the new rules sometime soon anyway, so perhaps they have a P1 design in mind already? Unless they stick with the US market I guess.

FormerFF
16th March 2008, 15:37
The result at Sebring proved that you can be an LMP2 car that is 2 seconds a lap slower than the P1 cars - but still win.

When are the suits at Stuttgart going to stop messing around and take up an invitation to do Le Mans? I don't buy this excuse that they are waiting for the day to come when the rules change to give them a decent chance of overall victory, just go for it.

They are going to have to build a dome cockpit prototype to comply with the new rules sometime soon anyway, so perhaps they have a P1 design in mind already? Unless they stick with the US market I guess.

If they stay in P2, they can keep the open topped car. Only P1 will have the coupe rule.

Remember, the RS Spyder was built at the urging of Porsche Cars North America. My guess is that when Porsche finds the right partner, they will build a P1 car.

harvick#1
16th March 2008, 15:54
well, they can bring back the 911 GT1 and form the mold to a LMP1 body.

but the ACO only lets Privateers to enter Lemans in the P2 category, I don't think Penske would be allowed since they have backing under Porsche, Dyson on the other hand is a Privateer and could go.

Funks
16th March 2008, 19:05
But if that is the case and so clear cut, how come Mr Penske doesn't just come out and say so? He has been asked plenty. P1 is crying out for another top name manufacturer at Le Mans - even if the duelling diesels are currently providing for a good match.

Sleeper
16th March 2008, 20:12
As far as I know, Porsche AG dont enter Le Mans because they dont think they can make any money out of it.

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 21:49
The fact that Le Mans isn't part of any wider championship, participation in which would bring greater marketing benefits than involvement in one race (even Le Mans), and wouldn't fit readily into one even if the ACO wanted it to, must surely have entered the Porsche bosses' minds as well.

But I'm another who would dearly love to see Porsche's return to La Sarthe.

harvick#1
16th March 2008, 22:49
the RS Spyders will still be at Lemans

31 Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder
34van Merksteijn Motorsport Porsche RS Spyder

wmcot
31st March 2008, 08:03
the RS Spyders will still be at Lemans

31 Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder
34van Merksteijn Motorsport Porsche RS Spyder

But will they have help from Porsche in setting them up? Dyson was known to have a hard time setting them up to be competitive last year. It seems Penske figured out the secrets, but will they share them with the Porsche factory and other teams?

Vegasguy
24th April 2008, 01:59
Another consideration is that Porsche is in the midst of buying VW which owns.... Audi.... do you really want to race against yourself?

Miatanut
8th May 2008, 19:07

They have a car that is a winner on tight tracks. They don't have a chance at an overall win at Le Mans because they have too much drag for the amount of power they have. Some folks don't like the idea that a P2 can beat a P1 ever. I think it's fun that a P2 can beat a P1 at a tight race track, but perfectly reasonable that the P2 doesn't stand a chance at a track with long straights.

harvick#1
8th May 2008, 19:31
They have a car that is a winner on tight tracks. They don't have a chance at an overall win at Le Mans because they have too much drag for the amount of power they have. Some folks don't like the idea that a P2 can beat a P1 ever. I think it's fun that a P2 can beat a P1 at a tight race track, but perfectly reasonable that the P2 doesn't stand a chance at a track with long straights.

the Spyder is without a doubt the best P2 car out their, it will be good because now the other teams in teh P2 class all have to work harder and hopefully will become more reliable. the Spyder won at Sebring fairly after Audi and Peugeot both had problems.

you never know, the P1 teams may have attrition again this year and the Porsche I think can be in the top 3 overall, hell the Corvette GT1 team was 4th overall in 06, so it can happen

jslone
13th May 2008, 05:45
Another consideration is that Porsche is in the midst of buying VW which owns.... Audi.... do you really want to race against yourself?
Bentley won when it was a part of AUdi I do believe,so if thats the case it should not matter.I think it is ultimatley up to Roger who decides to go.I mean the invites are there,it would be sweet to have Porsche there.

wbcobrar
15th May 2008, 02:51
ALMS rules are bent over backwards to enhance the prowess of the RS spyders . Bigger airbox , bigger gas tank etc... A P1 car the Quality of the Audi may lose a race on a street course here or there , but when the spyders won last year at Road America , a long ,wide open, pure racetrack with a multitude of passing zones ? I dont think they would fare as well adhearing to the stiffer LMS rules .

Paul Holroyd
29th May 2008, 08:47
It's all about selling cars...don't forget Porsche is still privately owned, they put lots of money into FI some years ago that nearly put the company under.

I think that once the wrangling with VW is over we may see P1 versions...also the new Panamera is due our soon, you never know DTM could be on the table before P1's

http://www.porschesport.com

harvick#1
31st May 2008, 18:59
I thought the Carerra GT was in rumors of becoming a P1 car

Paul Holroyd
2nd June 2008, 12:51
The Carerra GT was designed to be a racer (P1 Car) but Porsche pulled the plug ...so instead of losing what money they had spent at the time they produced it as a road car to make some money back.

weeflyonthewall
11th June 2008, 00:43
But will they have help from Porsche in setting them up? Dyson was known to have a hard time setting them up to be competitive last year. It seems Penske figured out the secrets, but will they share them with the Porsche factory and other teams?

Do you really think Penske brought DHL to the ALMS dance? Take away Porsche influential support and bye bye Penske.

F1boat
16th June 2008, 09:12

This is very interesting, thanks for the info. I want to ask something about this because I was very interested when our commentator of Le Mans said that Porsche wins in ALMS. Aren't yellow flags a huge part of this? I mean street courses usually provide safety car periods which coul eliminate the advantage of a faster car.

Miatanut
17th June 2008, 17:28
This is very interesting, thanks for the info. I want to ask something about this because I was very interested when our commentator of Le Mans said that Porsche wins in ALMS. Aren't yellow flags a huge part of this? I mean street courses usually provide safety car periods which coul eliminate the advantage of a faster car.

I think yellow flags can be something of a lottery, but they generally just allow the slower cars to catch up with the leader. I don't think they would give an advantage to a P2 over a P1.

American tracks are generally tighter and slower than European tracks, and the Porsche is a momentum car, able to get through the turns faster than the P1, and the relatively short straights sometimes don't give the P1 cars enough room to use their extra power.

Back in the '70's it was kind of the same thing with the Alfa T33's. They would get their clocks cleaned at Le Mans, but at the tighter European circuits, the smaller, lighter Alfa T33's could beat the bigger, more powerful cars.

F1boat
18th June 2008, 20:59
Interesting. How many races won Audi last year and how many - the Porsche?

Miatanut
19th June 2008, 01:17
http://www.americanlemans.com/assets/pdfs/RECORDS.pdf

Start at page 8. They note who the overall race winner was. Looks like 8 of 12 went to the P2 Porsche. I didn't remember it being that dominant.