PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Alonso

ShiftingGears
16th March 2008, 11:29
He drove like he was possessed today! Utterly amazing car control. This guy is supreme. I am certain that he will win another world championship.

Thoughts?

paulcrazy
16th March 2008, 11:45
He drove like he was possessed today! Utterly amazing car control. This guy is supreme. I am certain that he will win another world championship.

Thoughts?

He will, probably a few more to come but not sure if it's with Renault.

Bradley
16th March 2008, 11:53
Allonso made a great performance. The camera time he got proved that. I regret that we did not get to see RD's face again when Allonso passed Kovalainen :p :

TMorel
16th March 2008, 12:03
I've been fairly vocal in my dislike of Alonso, but his performance today was a joy to watch, and who can deprive him of punching the air at the McLaren pitwall when he retook the place.

more of the same please Fernando *nods*

F1boat
16th March 2008, 12:30
Alonso is really great. Amazing driver.

Valve Bounce
16th March 2008, 12:34
...............unfortunately, if you consider the performance of the BMW's, Ferraris and McLarens, I think the Renault will have a very difficult task this year. Check my sig!

F1boat
16th March 2008, 12:58
You are right, Valve, but I hope that Renault can improve.

markabilly
16th March 2008, 13:07
Beemer is the loser....had the chance but settled for fine and solid rather than grabbing a driver capable of going toe to toe with the best, and winning for the last few years. and still capable of a wdc.

Tazio
16th March 2008, 13:15
Ill he find a way out of his contract with Renault, and join a team(who's name I won't mention) that really needs him?

Ninse
16th March 2008, 13:26
Alonso dislikes me, best said Alonso's attitudes dislike me but I need to recognize his supreme performance on board F1 car, He's really amazing to see, ever gets 105% of his possibilities.

ioan
16th March 2008, 13:30
I really liked the way he went today!
He put his wheels on the grass a few times with no consequences whatever (not the same can be said about Kimi's fortunes).
I have to give it to him, he has awesome car control!

VkmSpouge
16th March 2008, 15:00
Fernando Alonso drove well today. The Renault looks to be worse than last year so Alonso needed every bit of his experience to stay out of trouble and secure points today.

Robinho
16th March 2008, 15:33
he was awesome today - he is one of the few out there who can driver at 100% plus for the entire race and deal with the consequeces of pushing past the limit - he'll put the renault a long way further up than it should be a few times this year, but unfortunately for him that'll only be points and if lucky the odd podium. it was nice to se him rag the car round, and i'm particularly loking the lack of TC and watching the cars arriving mid corner in a drift when they are pushing just too much

harsha
16th March 2008, 15:37
good drive by Alonso today

stevie_gerrard
16th March 2008, 17:49
took advantage of the retirements around him, and did a good job to keep Kovalainen off, but i do feel that the renualt isn't quite ready for a title challenge just yet.

Kevincal
16th March 2008, 18:18
Hopefully by mid-season the Renault, with the help of Fernando, will be fighting for podiums on a regular basis. I think it will happen. :)

veeten
16th March 2008, 19:33
just don't have Bourdais ahead of him. ;)

He was spending more of his last laps fending off Heikki than trying to pass Sebastien. Only on the 3rd last lap, when the Torro Rosso's engine blew, did Alonso pass him. During that time prior, Bourdais had his measure.

mstillhere
16th March 2008, 19:44

Thoughts?

He definetly earned my respect yesterday. And don't day it lightly

janneppi
16th March 2008, 19:52
Alonso's effort to drive above his car's abilities was entertaining, He was on the limit trying to get past people. You can't really blame him for Heikki getting past him in the final laps, he can't do miracles against someone much faster than him, but instead was rewarded with one in the end. :)

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 19:55
Very entertaining, very skilful — again, I'd rather watch someone showing those two attributes fighting over a place in the lower points-scoring places than someone romping away at the front. It was so nice to watch someone really trying.

f1rocks
16th March 2008, 20:03
He drove well today. But lets not all go overboard here. He lucked out with the SC. He was on a 2 stopper and would probably have ended up between 12th-15th if everyone had finished. In the first half of the race he got overtaken by Kimi and DC..He couldnt really pass anyone.

Then the SC came out due to Massa's idiotic move which helped him close the gap. His pass on Kimi and Heiki was good but again it was helped by the foolish move by Heiki and also Kimi's car was unhealthy. He could not really do much about Bourdais when they were racing for position.

Lastly his pass over Heiki in last lap was due to a mistake by Heiki who pressed the pit lane speed limiter. Again Alonso lucked out...

So I would not jump the gun here..Alonso is in a similar situation like Schumi was back in 96. Lets see if he can win some races against all odds....

AndyRAC
16th March 2008, 20:13
Very entertaining, very skilful — again, I'd rather watch someone showing those two attributes fighting over a place in the lower points-scoring places than someone romping away at the front. It was so nice to watch someone really trying.

I agree, I've always been an Alonso fan, and still am. You don't win 2WDC by chance. It's obvious that the Renault isn't a particularly quick car, but with a bit of luck, 3 SCars, and great commitment and car control he got a solid 4th place. I just hope that by halfway some progress will have been made.

Vamos Fernando!!!

truefan72
16th March 2008, 20:37
did well based on the curcumstances, but I expect him and the renault to improve over the course of the year. In fact, I'm couinting on him to score points consitently in my Fantasy GP.

And he'll probably do so.

Congrats on his 4th place today.
(secretly, I'm sure he would rather be at McLaren and fighting it out ofr a championshiop with his teammate rather than struggeling in midpack.When he looks a back at the whole situation, I'm sure he now understands that LH is more than his equal on the race track and that they had an opportunity to have a legitimate title fight all year long with both probably winning 4-5 races each at the minimum
He doesn't have to worry about intra-team competiotn now and probably doesn't have to worry about winning races either for the foreeable future )

wedge
16th March 2008, 21:39
So I would not jump the gun here..Alonso is in a similar situation like Schumi was back in 96. Lets see if he can win some races against all odds....

It's kinda strange how some drivers gain some redemption when they're driving in lesser cars.

No matter how much you hate Schumi, Senna, Alonso, you can't but help admire their skill :)

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 21:41
did well based on the curcumstances, but I expect him and the renault to improve over the course of the year. In fact, I'm couinting on him to score points consitently in my Fantasy GP.

And he'll probably do so.

Congrats on his 4th place today.
(secretly, I'm sure he would rather be at McLaren and fighting it out ofr a championshiop with his teammate rather than struggeling in midpack.When he looks a back at the whole situation, I'm sure he now understands that LH is more than his equal on the race track and that they had an opportunity to have a legitimate title fight all year long with both probably winning 4-5 races each at the minimum
He doesn't have to worry about intra-team competiotn now and probably doesn't have to worry about winning races either for the foreeable future )

I reckon that's a very good assessment.

Am I the only person, by the way, who thinks that Alonso could be a (very) dark horse in the championship? He will probably rack up points consistently, and I'm sure he'll win at least one race. This has been enough in the past.

Tazio
16th March 2008, 21:47

Am I the only person, by the way, who thinks that Alonso could be a (very) dark horse in the championship? He will probably rack up points consistently, and I'm sure he'll win at least one race. This has been enough in the past.
That depends on Renault!

keysersoze
16th March 2008, 22:07
My admiration for Alonso stems not from his speed. I'd struggle to prove he is any faster than Kimi or Lewis.

His brilliance, and the reason he is better than the rest, is his ability to improve the team. Minardi, Renault, McLaren, and then back to Renault. Each move immediately improved that team.

Kimi and Lewis can't claim this talent.

truefan72
17th March 2008, 01:17

I don't think he'kll win the WDC but he'll give the BMW's and Rosberg a run for their money.

My admiration for Alonso stems not from his speed. I'd struggle to prove he is any faster than Kimi or Lewis.

His brilliance, and the reason he is better than the rest, is his ability to improve the team. Minardi, Renault, McLaren, and then back to Renault. Each move immediately improved that team.

Kimi and Lewis can't claim this talent.

I'd say that reanault was pretty good when he came to them and for 2 years had the best chasis and most reliable engine out there.

Contrary to his assertions, he didn't bring 6tenthsto McClaren, they were already pretty fast but suffered from reliability, whih has more to dow th the mechanics than the driver

Now back at renault, he qualified 12th on the grid and probably would have finished around 8-12 if some of the top guys hadn't conked out.

He drove well, but Bourdais actualy had his number in this race. And was even pulling away.

Drivers are very important, but they will only take you as far as the machinerary will allow. Remeber eventhe great Senna, and Mansel lloked ordinary in cars that weren't as competitive. Let's hope that renault imoproves, otherwhise he'll be in for a very long year.

A 4th to start of the season is a very good result though, no matter how it comes.

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 02:07

Yeah!! and bunsen too!

markabilly
17th March 2008, 03:00
Drivers are very important, but they will only take you as far as the machinerary will allow. Remeber eventhe great Senna, and Mansel lloked ordinary in cars that weren't as competitive. Let's hope that renault imoproves, otherwhise he'll be in for a very long year.

A 4th to start of the season is a very good result though, no matter how it comes.

And in very great machinery, many drivers continue to look ordinary (but some do appear "fine" "solid".....but fine solid drivers do not win WDC, esp two in a row)

samuratt
17th March 2008, 09:05
Ferando showed his talent yesterday. I was really impressed with hims after qualy, he hasn't been able to get on the Q3 and he was going down the paddock with a brilliant smile. "what the hell??" i was thinking...

About the race he was claiming that getting into the points was the best of his possibilities for the race. To those who claim he was luck today I will suggest them to watch the race again and see where he ends up after every SC: the last. He has been warning that Renault is not competetive enough to fight for tha podium not even win races... he will be happy to collect some points regularly and still he is smiling and having fun again.

For all of his efforts in the race driving a crappy car and pushing it around every turn, through the grass or around Kimi and Kovalainen i just have to say: thanks Fernando, thank you for smiling again.

PD: his fist to Ron Dennins was just priceless.

jens
17th March 2008, 09:37

Race win? Maybe with a Safety Car mess, when the front runners haven't pitted and he has. :p : The Renault wasn't at Melbourne even good enough to drive in point positions on merit. Even Bourdais in a STR was driving ahead of Alonso and it seemed a very hard task to catch him. If a Renault can't catch a Toro Rosso, then it should make the analysis serious. We won't have many races similar to Australian Grand Prix's (lot of retirements, SC's, which would help midfieldes to score good points). In "normal conditions" Alonso will score just a couple of points per race at best. Top4 placings will occur very rarely.

Funny that now after that 4th position a lot of people are saying that this is the start Renault's comeback. In a race with only 6 cars getting a finishing result it's not too complicated to finish 4th, especially as among the two drivers behind one had lost everything with SC session and the other had had two collisions! Regardless of the result during the whole weekend it seemed obvious that Renault was struggling. Last year after Renault had struggled at the start of the year and then it was said the same - this is only the beginning, such World Championship winning team will make a comeback. Sorry, but I'm starting to lose belief in Renault (with BS-tyres). Don't expect them to finish higher than 5th in the WCC this year. This wasn't the competitiveness of Renault that brought the 4th position, it was the experience and smart behaviour of the team to achieve a decent result in a messy race (as I said, there won't be many similar races), also Renault has for years built reliable cars, which pay off in races with a lot of retirements.

P.S. This text is not against Alonso's yesterday's racing (he did well ;) ), it's about the talk of Renault's inevitable rise. What suggests that they should definetely rise? Maybe instead of them Honda, Toyota, Red Bull, Force India or Williams will rise? Everyone can't rise simultaneously. ;)

SGWilko
17th March 2008, 09:46
PD: his fist to Ron Dennis was just priceless. :eek:
Aha, that's revealling. So last years falling out was just a lovers tiff then..... :laugh:

SGWilko
17th March 2008, 09:54
Race win? Maybe with a Safety Car mess, when the front runners haven't pitted and he has. :p : The Renault wasn't at Melbourne even good enough to drive in point positions on merit. Even Bourdais in a STR was driving ahead of Alonso and it seemed a very hard task to catch him. If a Renault can't catch a Toro Rosso, then it should make the analysis serious. We won't have many races similar to Australian Grand Prix's (lot of retirements, SC's, which would help midfieldes to score good points). In "normal conditions" Alonso will score just a couple of points per race at best. Top4 placings will occur very rarely.

Funny that now after that 4th position a lot of people are saying that this is the start Renault's comeback. In a race with only 6 cars getting a finishing result it's not too complicated to finish 4th, especially as among the two drivers behind one had lost everything with SC session and the other had had two collisions! Regardless of the result during the whole weekend it seemed obvious that Renault was struggling. Last year after Renault had struggled at the start of the year and then it was said the same - this is only the beginning, such World Championship winning team will make a comeback. Sorry, but I'm starting to lose belief in Renault (with BS-tyres). Don't expect them to finish higher than 5th in the WCC this year. This wasn't the competitiveness of Renault that brought the 4th position, it was the experience and smart behaviour of the team to achieve a decent result in a messy race (as I said, there won't be many similar races), also Renault has for years built reliable cars, which pay off in races with a lot of retirements.

P.S. This text is not against Alonso's yesterday's racing (he did well ;) ), it's about the talk of Renault's inevitable rise. What suggests that they should definetely rise? Maybe instead of them Honda, Toyota, Red Bull, Force India or Williams will rise? Everyone can't rise simultaneously. ;)

Well look, take a step back 24 months....

Alonso left Renault for McLaren. Now, he left - IMHO - not because he was annoyed with them, but because at the time the deal was done, Renault had still not committed to F1 long term, and Fred could have been left out to dry.

I am still smarting from Freds antics last year, but there is no doubting that he has raised Renaults game this year.

With his motivation, I can see this as a building year, and next as a run for the top two teams......

The Renault looked a handful, but he made the most of it.

I wish him luck.......

paulcrazy
17th March 2008, 11:14
Even Bourdais in a STR was driving ahead of Alonso and it seemed a very hard task to catch him. If a Renault can't catch a Toro Rosso, then it should make the analysis serious.

I think Bourdais drove a very good race but be fair, Bourdais got ahead of both Alonso and HK because of some pit stop strategy, both of FA and HK dropped to the back at the last yellow which didn't really FA and HK gaining on positions.

For FA couldn't overtake Bourdais, just look at how many laps Kimi took to overtake the Honda and you will find an answer.

BDunnell
17th March 2008, 11:17

All very good points, but likewise the Renault was able to fight with a Ferrari and a McLaren while they were all behind Bourdais. And I think the car, despite its very poor qualifying performance, is maybe a bit better than you do!

keysersoze
17th March 2008, 12:38
I'd say that reanault was pretty good when he came to them and for 2 years had the best chasis and most reliable engine out there.
C

Renault was in the doldrums when Alonso joined them in 2002 as a test driver.

In 2001 thy scored 10 points, with Fisi and Button as drivers.

In 2002, they more than doubled their output, scoring 23 points with Alonso as test driver.

In 2003, with Alonso now a regular driver (and with Trulli as teammate), they nearly quadrupled their point total from the previous year, scoring 88 points.

In 2004, the year before the championships started (and the year Jarno got sacked and replaced by Villeneuve--who scored no points) the team managed 105 points.

aryan
17th March 2008, 14:08
I'm no Alonso fan, not by any stretch of the word, but he was supreme on Sunday. He really pushed the car where it did not belong.

It's going to be another frustrating year for Renault, specially since if they have not significantly improved by mid-season, Alonso will be looking at his options for next season.

Kevincal
17th March 2008, 15:43
Are you all so sure that Alonso swerved toward the pit wall to "punch his his fist" at McLaren? Maybe he was celebrating for his Renault team... They probably weren't expecting to be as good as 4th.

jens
17th March 2008, 16:45
For FA couldn't overtake Bourdais, just look at how many laps Kimi took to overtake the Honda and you will find an answer.

The difference between those two cases was that while Kimi was right behind Rubens during all those laps and was trying to pass, then Alonso never quite managed to get right behind Bourdais to even have a try. He was consistently trailing 1-2 seconds behind.

samuratt
18th March 2008, 09:05
Are you all so sure that Alonso swerved toward the pit wall to "punch his his fist" at McLaren? Maybe he was celebrating for his Renault team... They probably weren't expecting to be as good as 4th.

He said he watched Ron raising his fist in a screen on the track so when he overtook Kovalainen he went next to the pitwall to thank Ron for the reward. Furthermore, when interviewed, he was told that Kovalainen had pushed the panic button (the same one Lewis pushed to ruin his 2007 championship chances), and his answer was: "oh, another one pushing the button eh, funny". He even said that beating a Mclaren, given the circustamces (Renault is too slow), had been somehow sweet.

SGWilko
18th March 2008, 09:14
He said he watched Ron raising his fist in a screen on the track so when he overtook Kovalainen he went next to the pitwall to thank Ron for the reward. Furthermore, when interviewed, he was told that Kovalainen had pushed the panic button (the same one Lewis pushed to ruin his 2007 championship chances), and his answer was: "oh, another one pushing the button eh, funny". He even said that beating a Mclaren, given the circustamces (Renault is too slow), had been somehow sweet.

Well, Alonso has regained his sense of humour thank goodness, after him turning into Mr Charisma By-pass last year....

AndyRAC
18th March 2008, 10:02
Well, Alonso has regained his sense of humour thank goodness, after him turning into Mr Charisma By-pass last year....

That's what happens when you drive for McLaren,....they might be a great team, but they love drivers in strait jackets.

Valve Bounce
18th March 2008, 11:21
That's what happens when you drive for McLaren,....they might be a great team, but they love drivers in strait jackets.

I don't believe you! How can a guy steer if he wore a strait jacket? let alone press the wrong button?

samuratt
18th March 2008, 14:06

Yeah he has been allowed to laugh and smile again at Renault... and even have his haircut a little longer... :D

paulcrazy
18th March 2008, 15:03
The difference between those two cases was that while Kimi was right behind Rubens during all those laps and was trying to pass, then Alonso never quite managed to get right behind Bourdais to even have a try. He was consistently trailing 1-2 seconds behind.

Agree, but don't forget that FA had HK right behind his gearbox, Kimi didn't. Remember how FA overtook Kimi and HK when they were fighting at that corner? To overtake Bourdai or defend HK, FA had to make the right decision.

Tazio
20th March 2008, 00:14
THIS MAY GET INTERESTING!
Fred says sepang is his favourite track! If the Renault Power plant can hold together, while everyone is wondering if Ferrari's solved their problems, and Mac. is hard at work. let us not forget about Fred!

“It’s a circuit that I enjoy and I always tend to attack a little bit more. I hope that this year I will be able to do well again,” said Alonso, who took his first pole position in his debut in Sepang in 2003.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/3/20/sports/20702819&sec=sports

Valve Bounce
20th March 2008, 01:11
I suspect that Renault, as a whole package, is slightly behind McLaren, Ferrari and BMW. BUT, even minor changes to handling and aero can make the difference minimal. We are in for a great season.

samuratt
20th March 2008, 11:42
I suspect that Renault, as a whole package, is slightly behind McLaren, Ferrari and BMW. BUT, even minor changes to handling and aero can make the difference minimal. We are in for a great season.

I think you're being very optimistic about REnault. I think Williams at least maybe infront of them too.

tintop
20th March 2008, 18:35
Beemer is the loser....had the chance but settled for fine and solid rather than grabbing a driver capable of going toe to toe with the best, and winning for the last few years. and still capable of a wdc.

Heidi is a top 4-5 driver. The car hasn't been good enough to challenge for a WDC, I can see them making a bid for more talent next year.

veeten
23rd March 2008, 09:08
well, that was a non-event. :dozey:

Kevincal
23rd March 2008, 09:19
It's obvious the Renault needs significant work, as Alonso has been saying. However, even 1 point is good. Just look at what happened in Brasil last year when 1 point meant a world of difference. :)

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2008, 10:20
Let's be honest - Fernando may be a great driver, but he won't work miracles this year. He'd be lucky to win a race this year - a few podiums maybe. Ferrari, McLaren and BMW have them covered for pace.

F1boat
23rd March 2008, 10:22
A solid race for Alonso, but he should be worried because there are many teams in front of Renault, not just Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes.

Bradley
23rd March 2008, 10:28
I did not like his move on Coulthard today (pushing Coulthard to the side while passing him). That puts him in Hamilton's category :mad: .