PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection security code

Valve Bounce
12th March 2008, 23:22
OK!! After going through the US, France and Italy, I've noticed that all wi-fi internet connections have a security code.

I use Windows XP and have a Belkin router.

Can anyone please tell me how to install a security code on my wi-fi so that only my lap top in another room can gain access to it?

Hawkmoon
13th March 2008, 01:19
You'll need to log in to the router, probably via your browser, and set the wireless encryption method you want to use. There are usually several options such as WEP, WPK etc.

Depending on which one you choose you'll have to enter a password or pass phrase. You then go to the WiFi settings on your laptop and tell it what type of encryption the router is using and what the password or passkey is.

Now anybody who wants to connect to your router has to have the not only the right encryption but also the right password. Simple! ;)

J4MIE
13th March 2008, 01:52
You can also set your network to only allow devices with specified MAC addresses to connect (this will be on a label found on your wireless device).

Of course, any determined person can still get in, but hopefully enough to persuade them to move onto the next easier target :)

Dave B
13th March 2008, 08:42
Be aware that no "domestic" method will stop a professional and determined person gaining entry to your network, but the advice above will be perfectly adequate for everyday needs.

When you log onto your router, best to do it via a CAT5 cable. They're only a couple of quid retail, and that way any changes you make to your wireless settings won't stop you accessing the router before you've finished.

Simply connect the cable from your ethernet port to any spare port on the router. Then in your browser's address bar enter the router's IP addy. This will be in your manual or on the manufacturer's website but in the majority of cases 192.168.2.1 works.

You may be prompted for a password but if you've never set one just hit submit. Now you'll have a menu with - most likely - a Security subsection.

Once there, everything should be fairly self-explanatory. Keep in mind that WPA is generally considered more secure than WEP, and the longer the passphrase the better. I think you can have up to 64 characters should you really wish!

When you're done, find the option for saving the changes and log out. Then unplug the network cable and try logging on wirelessly. You should see a warning that the network is secured, so type in your passphrase. Once logged on you'll be able to save the connection so that you don't have to re-type the phrase every time.

Any questions just shout. :)

Valve Bounce
13th March 2008, 11:44
My computer is already connected to teh router via a cable. It is my laptop in another room for which I require a passphrase to prevent others in the building from using my broadband internet to download stuff as I had a warning that I have reached 80% of my allocation and Optus will reduce my speed to 28.8kpbs when the 20% is used up; this was 12 days before my next billing date on March 20.

I had a suspicion that somebody in the building was downloading stuff using my broadband connection.

Dave B
13th March 2008, 12:19
If you're happy to continue connecting via a cable then log into the router as described and turn wireless broadcasting off altogether :)

edv
13th March 2008, 13:54
I use the MAC address method at my house, for 3 wifi devices.

Valve, if someone is using your bandwidth for downloading, I would be more concerned about their access to your other network resources (shared folders among your machines).

It always amazes me, when I am at a hotel for example, that people leave shared folders open. Many times I have been tempted to photoshop people's digital photos and replace them. :P

Dave B
13th March 2008, 15:13
Many times I have been tempted to photoshop people's digital photos and replace them. :P
:rotflmao: I like that!