PDA

View Full Version : Casting a shadow

ArrowsFA1
16th January 2007, 08:52
Speaking of Michael as an ex-F1 driver...this picture shows him right in the middle of Ferrari's preparations for the new season. Is this a good thing :confused:

Yes, he has unrivalled experience in F1 (well, nearly :p :) , and at Ferrari in particular, but if you were Kimi would you want the person who previously had your job hanging around?

BDunnell
16th January 2007, 12:44
I am still rather at a loss as to what his new role is.

ArrowsFA1
16th January 2007, 13:15
According to Felipe he's one of the technicians :)

Q. Michael Schumacher attended the shakedown. What did he tell you?
Massa: "Nothing in particular, he couldn't really tell me 'well done' on a day like this, where I didn't do anything special.
"Every time I got back to the pits he would ask me for information and impressions on the car based on the telemetry he was looking at, and then he would start talking to the technicians. By now he's one of them..."
Q. Did you also chat with Kimi Raikkonen?
Massa: "Yes, but just a bit. There will be more time to exchange impressions and suggestions, to study and analyse together every situation of the car. We are still on the first day of school.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56322

IIRC Mika Hakkinen was not impressed at first when ex-F1 multiple WDC Alain Prost was the first to test the new McLaren in 1995/6 (?), even though Mika & DC were the race drivers for the coming season. In time, however Mika reportedly learned a great deal from Prost and appreciated his input.

Who knows if the same thing is happening, or will happen, at Ferrari, but as you say, MS's role does seem very vague which can't really help anyone, particularly Kimi, who needs to get to know the team, car and engineers asap.

Mark
16th January 2007, 13:54
MS very nearly won the world championship just a few weeks ago. And has driven for Ferrari for 10 years, so I think there is just a chance that his input might be useful :p

ArrowsFA1
16th January 2007, 14:14
Phah!!!! What does a 7-times WDC know :p : :laugh:

Tazio
16th January 2007, 14:22
MS very nearly won the world championship just a few weeks ago. And has driven for Ferrari for 10 years, so I think there is just a chance that his input might be useful :p

I am slightly perplexed as to how Mike's presence can be construed as negative at this point in the season!
He's being paid $6million a year as a consultant/ technician/advisor/ I think his input now is appropriate.
Let's not read too much into it.
The press will do that for us!

Donney
16th January 2007, 14:50
Whatever he's doing he's likely to do it right and I don't think Raikkonen cares.

CarlMetro
16th January 2007, 15:02
I think if Kimi and Filipe were given the choice, they'd have Michael there. The last thing I think Michael would do is interfere with car setup etc but anyone of such vast experience and knowledge, and not just with the team, would be of help rather than hinderance.

airshifter
16th January 2007, 15:14
I think both Kimi and Massa have learned to deal with pressure already, so they will feel no pressure to do better with MS around.

That might be a concern with a younger or less experienced driver on the team, but the current situation in my opinion if very positive. His experience should help the team communicate better among the technicians/mechanics and the drivers. He has vast information about what has made the Ferrari's work for years, and I can't see his assistance being anything but positive.

16th January 2007, 16:30
My take on this is that Michael is there to guide both the drivers and the engineers. He knows the team inside out, which is something that Kimi, mega-talent that he is, cannot be expected to pick up overnight.

By guiding Kimi (& to a lesser extent Felipe) to give feedback to the correct department, Michael is ensuring that nothing gets missed at this early stage in the relationship between engineers and drivers.

So long as Michael's role is a back-seat one there shouldn't be a problem. so long as Kimi & Felipe gradually take on more of the role Michael is currently playing it shouldn't be a problem.

It will be a problem if Ferrari do not gain confidence in what the drivers are saying.

That said, I'd rather have a Ferrari legend guiding me into the job than have him sat in Switzerland whilst the world watches me fluff my opening lines.

tinchote
16th January 2007, 18:05
Maybe Michael can do Kimi's press conferences? That would be an improvement ;) :D

ArrowsFA1
16th January 2007, 19:02
So long as Michael's role is a back-seat one there shouldn't be a problem. so long as Kimi & Felipe gradually take on more of the role Michael is currently playing it shouldn't be a problem.

It will be a problem if Ferrari do not gain confidence in what the drivers are saying.
Very true :up:

XSARA
17th January 2007, 00:22
if you were Kimi would you want the person who previously had your job hanging around?

If the person who previously had my job was Micheal Shumacher-sure. Why not? He'd be a great source of knowlege and insight...I mean, the man only won 7 WDC's which really is no big deal but... :p

ArrowsFA1
15th February 2007, 12:27
I am still rather at a loss as to what his new role is.

Whatever he's doing he's likely to do it right and I don't think Raikkonen cares.
It certainly seems to be a very "hands-off" role if Kimi's recent comments are anything to go by:

Raikkonen was joined by Michael Schumacher during the final day of testing yesterday.
"We exchanged a few words, we didn't have much time," he added. "I had to get back to work on the track. I didn't even know he would have come. The last time I saw him was at the presentation of the car."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56760

tinchote
15th February 2007, 12:46
It looks like he doesn't have much of a role, then. So much for the previuos speculation in this thread :D

SteveA
15th February 2007, 13:09
Maybe he just turns up uninvited - a sort of lost soul à la Syd Barrett appearing in Abbey Road studios after he had been ousted from Pink Floyd.

race aficionado
15th February 2007, 15:22
. . . .He's being paid $6million a year as a consultant/ technician/advisor/ . . . . .

Michael should be their test driver and be able to jump in and replace either Kimi or Massa if they ever suffer a tennis injury for example. . . .

:s mokin:

samuratt
15th February 2007, 16:26
Whatever he is doing he is going to do it well. I can't see Michael underperforming!!!! :D (not even in sex) :D

Anyway, i tend to think that Kimi does not like the idea of having Michael that close, cause Michael's shadow is quite big to be ignored, and must put on him a lot of preassure because everybody in Ferrari is expecting him to deliver the goods Michael used to. And that prospect is not very likeable isn't it?

On the other hand I think it benefits Massa, who has learned a lot last seasson from him and has worked alongside him... and (contrary to Kimi) he hasn't got the preassure Kimi's has in order to be WDC at last!

:bandit:

15th February 2007, 20:40
I can't see Michael underperforming!!!! :D (not even in sex)

Now, that's a mental image I can do without.

Even tifosi have our limits.

Hawkmoon
15th February 2007, 21:04
Michael's shadow would have reached all the way from Switzerland. It might be a little deeper this way but Raikkonen is going to be judged by his performance relative to Schumacher's whether Michael is standing at the back of the garage or sitting by the pool.

This is not really fair but that's what comes from succeeding a legend. Kimi's had a bit of a dry run at this sort of thing by replacing Hakkinen at McLaren. This time, he's only got to replace an extra 5 WDCs and about 70 wins, that's all. ;)