PDA

View Full Version : Tourist at the IMS

Rimrider
16th January 2007, 06:20
There was a tour group at the IMS today. The group was seen leaving the management office and heading to the pagoda and then touring some of the facility. The tour was shown around the complex by Brian Barnhardt. The group was made up of Steve Johnson and some of his associates. Some of the conversations that were overheard mention that there are some unhappy people over at Johnson's place of business.

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 16:17
4 posts and you have inside information on people going in and out of Barnhardts office? You want people to take you seriously? It says Shill to me....

MarcoCheever
16th January 2007, 20:19
how about a little help I've never claimed to be too bright (too many tenderloins and track fries) but I did some searching and I couldn't figure out who Steve Johnsonn is in relation to open wheel racing.

Alexamateo
16th January 2007, 20:19
Keep in mind Champcar and the IRL offices are only about 10 minutes driving time apart. I've also heard Brian Barnhardt been seen at CC's offices from time to time. They are in the same industry. I've gone to my main competition before just to needle them and see what's going on. (Heck! I used to work for them!) I wouldn't read anything into this.

I have a good friend that's an irrigation rep., so we sell non-competing products to the same core customers. He used to casually give out false leads and information that he knew the competition would hear, just to see how they'd react.

I'd take this as just what it is, gossip.

Alexamateo
16th January 2007, 20:23
how about a little help I've never claimed to be too bright (too many tenderloins and track fries) but I did some searching and I couldn't figure out who Steve Johnsonn is in relation to open wheel racing.

Steve Johnson is President & CEO of Champcar, in other words KK's right hand man.

MarcoCheever
16th January 2007, 20:30
Thanks

maybe they were just taking the tour it's pretty good and Donald Davidson is always interesting

grungex
16th January 2007, 22:22
1) This is the IRL forum, so shill is hardly the word to use for a poster putting up IRL biased info.

2) The same story has been posted elsewhere by (supposedly) different people, though there is no factual info behind it yet.

3) The implications, if it's true, remain clouded at this time.

1) It was posted as a D&G for Champ Car, no real IRL content beyond the venue. I would, however, use the word "troll", as opposed to "shill".

2) The original source is a well-known CC-hater/rumourmonger.

3) True.

weeflyonthewall
17th January 2007, 00:10
I repeat my original point #1. Had the original post been in the CC forum then you would have been correct.

What difference should it make where the comment is posted? The question being raised is about its accuracy and the motivation for posting it.

Shill Somebody who promotes something for reasons of self-interest.

grungex
17th January 2007, 00:16
I repeat my original point #1. Had the original post been in the CC forum then you would have been correct.

Huh? The post is not even about the IRL, so not only is it a troll, it's a troll in the wrong forum. Or do you automatically equate anti-Champ Car with pro-IRL?

pits4me
17th January 2007, 01:15
There was a tour group at the IMS today. The group was seen leaving the management office and heading to the pagoda and then touring some of the facility. The tour was shown around the complex by Brian Barnhardt. The group was made up of Steve Johnson and some of his associates. Some of the conversations that were overheard mention that there are some unhappy people over at Johnson's place of business.

Not sure what your motive is here. I heard Johnson was still in Las Vegas making an announcement with Bart Rietbergen.

Mark in Oshawa
17th January 2007, 07:26
Starter, my apologies for the terminology, but is a rumour so out on a limb it shouldn't be given serious consideration.

Johnson maybe is walking in and talking about another Merger with the number 2 to TG. WE have no idea why he is there, but the fact he is there isn't news if we have no idea factually what they are talking about....and I forgot to take notice that it was the Indy Car tab when I posted it....a mental faux pas, but my attitude is unchanged. Give me something that has some fact to it, or have a posting history that gives me some creedence to your rumour.

4 posts wasn't saying credability on something like this at all.....

indycool
20th January 2007, 11:37
I think everyone ought to calm down and get their stories straight.

The original poster says, as seems to be what's rumored elsewhere, that these contingents of people got together for unknown reasons at the "management office," (which could mean anything) to the PAGODA at IMS, NOT the IRL office. The IRL office isn't even AT IMS. For another, no one seems to know what the occasion was.

One thing would seem certain: Merger wouldn't be on these guys' plates. Bigger kids than Barnhart and Johnson would be discussing that.

grungex
20th January 2007, 15:43
There also appears to be considerable evidence to indicate that the original poster was wrong, and the visit never happened.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 18:16
Grunge, which was my point exactly, how much credability am I supposed to give this supposed visit?

IC, You don't think Johnson and Barnhart wouldn't have a role if there was a merger talk on? They would be the ones who would have to make it work, so it would be imperative that they DID talk.

grungex
20th January 2007, 19:48
Grunge, which was my point exactly, how much credability am I supposed to give this supposed visit?
None.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 20:25
That wraps up this discussion, lets put in a newspaper and leave it on somebody's doorstep!!!

indycool
21st January 2007, 13:08
Oh, yes, Mark, they'd have a role, but things would hafta be much farther along than they are before it gets down to them. Haven't heard anything about TG and KK getting together in months and probably won't until the annual April-May stuff comes out. As far as credibility of this rumor goes, I give it the same as you and grungex....zero.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 08:19
One thing is for sure, if the merger ever does go down, 5 bucks says no one will see it coming.....it is always when you least expect it that something happens.....

Snapshot
24th January 2007, 14:19
One thing is for sure, if the merger ever does go down, 5 bucks says no one will see it coming.....it is always when you least expect it that something happens.....

This is what I hate about the internet. Somebody reads a week old rumor and decides that they will copy it to a forum as insider information. Then we have a two page thread arguing about a rumor with some people defending it, even though Steve Johnson wasn't in Indy on the day it was supposedly overheard. It gets shot down again, but the defenders won't let go. What do you say the chances are we'll hear this same rumor again next week, from someone new, with the same story about overheard at a track tour.

Your comment is correct. Did anyone see the TV deal coming? No! Yet the IRL was advised and told about it many months in advance. Not one website had a hint that it was going down and CCWS was coming to the same networks as the IRL. People at the network and CCWS knew it was being negotiated. Not one of the so called insiders, who do nothing but parrot rumors from one website to another, had one word on it.

If there's anything resembling a merger, two league system, new series, or unification, we'll hear about it last. If it happens it will be a big news story and released through proper channels, not leaked by someone who overheard it during a IMS track tour.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 08:19
Heck, is there anyone out there that can post a pic of Steve Johnson, so all those tourists at the IMS will know when something is up??

I think some people just have to chill.....I think the fact everyone was talking about KK and TG having dinner all last winter and immediately we were anxious to see the merger. It never happened.

Oh well, if we didn't talk about this stuff, we would probably all get out and do something useful with out time, and that would BE DULL. It might, however make my wife happy....

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 08:54
That is OUR time....damn edit feature don't work past 15 mins...