PDA

View Full Version : Does This Mean Anything?

Tazio
7th March 2008, 20:44
I must say not being part of the Crown
I didn't realize the economic reprocussions
F1 Budget cuts could have on the English economy
I don't speak "English" English!
WTF does this mean, if anything?
http://www.grandprixmagazine.com/f1/F1-_MOTORSPORT_DEBATE_IN_PARLIAMENT.shtml

Yesterday, in the House of Lords, MIA President Lord Astor of Hever quizzed the UK Government over its support for the motorsport industry toensure it did not lose its global leadership position. Baroness Vadera responded on behalf of the Government.

Lord Astor warned of imminent severe job losses due to the proposed budget cap on F1 teams which, as the majority are based in the UK, will “hit this country harder than others in Europeâ€

ioan
7th March 2008, 23:25
Some people simply have to much time in their hands, as I suppose that there are more important problems in GB thn the fact that F1 budget caps might lead to some people having to search for another job (and they will sure find something if they were good enough to work for F1).
Not to mention that budget caps on teams will likely make them outsource some work to other enterprises whom may hire more people as a result.

Tazio
7th March 2008, 23:41
Some people simply have to much time in their hands, as I suppose that there are more important problems in GB thn the fact that F1 budget caps might lead to some people having to search for another job (and they will sure find something if they were good enough to work for F1).
Not to mention that budget caps on teams will likely make them outsource some work to other enterprises whom may hire more people as a result.
So what your saying is it is somewhat petty politicking protocol for a small, or imagined constituency
It sounds so proper and important! Are the Freemasons in on this? :D

maxu05
8th March 2008, 00:05
People learn to adapt and find other ways to make ends meet. I don't think it will be so bad. What about all the mine closures that happened in the UK years ago ? These people eventually found new work, though I do admit it would have been very tough for those effected. If you have been working in F1, (as ioan said), you will at least have an advantage when applying for other work due to your CV.

markabilly
8th March 2008, 02:27
All thos jobs are headed to India anyway, sooner or later

Valve Bounce
8th March 2008, 03:31
People learn to adapt and find other ways to make ends meet. I don't think it will be so bad. What about all the mine closures that happened in the UK years ago ? These people eventually found new work, though I do admit it would have been very tough for those effected. If you have been working in F1, (as ioan said), you will at least have an advantage when applying for other work due to your CV.

Interviewer: "So!! what did you do when you were working for McLaren?"

Applicant: "I was their lollipop man!"

Intreviewer:" Great! you know that secondary school in Barnet , near Cat Hill? We need a good lollipop man each morning and each afternoon."

Tazio
8th March 2008, 05:06
Interviewer: "So!! what did you do when you were working for McLaren?"

Applicant: "I was their lollipop man!"

Intreviewer:" Great! you know that secondary school in Barnet , near Cat Hill? We need a good lollipop man each morning and each afternoon."

Interviewer: "But I must warn you! Those kids are wild!
The job may be more dangerous than your previous experience"! :D

TMorel
9th March 2008, 10:48
Depends, if he was Alonsos lolipop man then I guess he'd have no problem with petulant children refusing to move when indicated *g*, not to mention the fact that at most schools it's the parents that are the big problem so again he'd be used to coping with certain drivers fathers...

ioan
9th March 2008, 13:52
You're no better than those politicians! :p :
The lolipop men won't be fired as long as there are pitstops in F1.
The discussion was about technical staff.

BDunnell
9th March 2008, 14:00

While there are more important issues affecting the UK, it is possible (and right) to ask questions in Parliament about other matters and for the powers-that-be to consider more than one problem at once.

However, I do not see state funding of motorsport as being desirable, for reasons I've stated before on these forums. Motorsport is its own worst enemy when it comes to such matters, being keen to portray itself as glamorous and cash-rich.

ioan
9th March 2008, 14:08
While there are more important issues affecting the UK, it is possible (and right) to ask questions in Parliament about other matters and for the powers-that-be to consider more than one problem at once.

However, I do not see state funding of motorsport as being desirable, for reasons I've stated before on these forums. Motorsport is its own worst enemy when it comes to such matters, being keen to portray itself as glamorous and cash-rich.

You're right.

Whyzars
9th March 2008, 14:42
Her Majesty was heard to say, "Who is this Bernie fellow anyway?".

Sir Frank replied, "We all apologise for him Ma'am. As a 'Knight of the Middle Order' it dismay's me that Bernie has all the power. He write's his own rules too - he even wants to race at night which is right in the middle of 'Home and Away'. This latest cost cutting measure will definitely mean that Britannia will no longer rule the waves.".

To which Her Majesty replied, "'Home and Away' you say? I want his head on a stick! Bring me Bernie's head on a stick."

DonJippo
9th March 2008, 15:42
F1 business as whole employs 50 000+ people in UK so it may be some politicians are truly concerned about the possible implications budget cap may have for the whole business.

Tazio
9th March 2008, 15:44

However, I do not see state funding of motorsport as being desirable, for reasons I've stated before on these forums. Motorsport is its own worst enemy when it comes to such matters, being keen to portray itself as glamorous and cash-rich.Thanks for sharing that view B'

BDunnell
9th March 2008, 16:01
F1 business as whole employs 50 000+ people in UK so it may be some politicians are truly concerned about the possible implications budget cap may have for the whole business.

Yes, but there's not a lot a government can or should do about that. If it causes job losses, it causes job losses.

Tazio
9th March 2008, 16:19
It is a little absurd (for reasons BDun' explained above) That would be
akin to a US Preident maufacturing a war so his rich cronies could get richer!
Oh wait! Um.. Ahh... never mind! :D

markabilly
9th March 2008, 17:22
Her Majesty was heard to say, "Who is this Bernie fellow anyway?".

Sir Frank replied, "We all apologise for him Ma'am. As a 'Knight of the Middle Order' it dismay's me that Bernie has all the power. He write's his own rules too - he even wants to race at night which is right in the middle of 'Home and Away'. This latest cost cutting measure will definitely mean that Britannia will no longer rule the waves.".

To which Her Majesty replied, "'Home and Away' you say? I want his head on a stick! Bring me Bernie's head on a stick."
And as such, benie's statuture would increase by several inches upward....

Tazio
9th March 2008, 17:31
I guess the only lingering question I have is:
Could someone tell me where to get photo's
of Baroness Vadera naked?
Or just in leather would do!

ioan
9th March 2008, 17:36
And as such, benie's statuture would increase by several inches upward....

:rotflmao:

SGWilko
9th March 2008, 20:46
he even wants to race at night which is right in the middle of 'Home and Away'.

Oh 5h!t, better not tell domestic management, it's bad enough they moved it over to five along with them neighbours.......!! :laugh:

Mark
10th March 2008, 08:33
While there may be layoffs at some teams (but unlikely tbh staff are not the biggest cost) these are highly skilled people who will easily get a job elsewhere.