PDA

View Full Version : Pagani Zonda Rally

urabus-denoS2000
7th March 2008, 21:37
Apparently at the Tasmania rally in Australia a Pagani Zonda should be a course opener!!!
So what do you think about this idea?

Daniel
7th March 2008, 21:54
It's not a rally. It's a targa event and supercars will always be popular for that.

N
7th March 2008, 22:32
That's still pretty cool, the best supercars that enter the Targa are cars like Porsche GT3 and sometimes a Lamborghini or Ferrari, so this would be interesting to see. I've always followed Targa rallies from Australia and New Zealand, while they are tarmac events, they still have the essence of a real rally.

gloomyDAY
8th March 2008, 05:16
Fine by me. You'll never see a Pagani tearing up the gravel in the middle of Mexico, but the targa event is rad. Any pictures or links?

Mitch555
9th March 2008, 12:37
The Pagani will be the "sweep" car (car after final competitive car).

@Daniel, why are you saying a Targa Event is not a rally. It incorporates most components of a real rally, just goes over 6 days...

Targa Tasmania is undoubtedly an amazing rally, many drivers saying it has the best tarmac roads in the world, no kidding.

There is literally 15 teams which could make up the podium this year but some interesting drivers in this years event are...

911. Nick Faure GB - Cameron Reeves - Skelta G-Force (custom car, Honda S2000 engine, very fast, maybe a Brit can shed some light on Nick Faure?)
919. Jim Richards - Barry Oliver - Porsche 997 GT2 (Triple Australian touring car champion, 8 time Targa Tas winner)
922. Tony Longhurst - Jahemial Taylor - Subaru Impreza (another Aussie racing legend)
960. Neal Bates - Coral Taylor - Toyota TRD Aurion
(manager of TRD Australia, 3 time ARC champ)
969. Ross Dunkerton - N/A - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9
(5 times ARC champ)
988. Rick Bates - N/A - Mazda 3 MPS
(Brother of Neal, but also highly accredited driver)
989. Alister McRae - N/A - Mazda 3 MPS
(ALISTER MCRAE - WOOOOOOOOOOO! NO INTRO NEEDED)
993. Dean Herridge - Glenn MacNeall - Subaru Impreza
(Herridge and MacNeall join up again, Herridge one of Aus's best rally talents and MacNeall, former co-driver to Toshi Arai and Chris Atkinson)

Just to name a few!

Links:
targa.org.au
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp66wgSQwC8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-DHeL4VyZ4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wlpk8tBa128

Daniel
9th March 2008, 12:52
@Daniel, why are you saying a Targa Event is not a rally. It incorporates most components of a real rally, just goes over 6 days...

If it's a rally why not call it a rally? Why not? Because it's a targa event.

bda
9th March 2008, 20:18
If it's a rally why not call it a rally? Why not? Because it's a targa event.

Well it's one of the best "rallies" I've ever competed in. Fantastic part of the world, friendly people who love the event, amazing roads, pace notes, fierce competition.

Add to that the chance to see classic and modern cars going head to head. It's hard to beat for my money. Not as big a spectacle as the WRC but can be much more interesting.

Mitch555
10th March 2008, 00:37
@ Daniel: define the difference. Targa Tasmania is in the spirit of rallying, andee due to the current state of Australia's national championship it's the best thing we have, don't ditch it until you see it. Never has been a bad word said about Targa Tas.

I myself reeced the Sideling stage today (6am!) with my brother. Magic! Sunrise and everything it was just beautiful. Then attempted to get to Rossarden through Forestry tracks but it didn't work out.

We also have a big surprise in store for Mr. McRae!!!

crunch
10th March 2008, 20:40
Hey Mitch 555

Targa events are different to Rallies as we know them because they use a different results system that allows for slow cars to win. IF they don't use this type of handicap system....it is not a Targa, it is a Rally. Simple.

Also, I know "bad words" have been said regarding Targa Tasmania, so to say they haven't is untrue. I am sure it is a great event as is Dunlop Targa here in New Zealand, but there are many great events which attract different levels of competitors...

raybak
10th March 2008, 21:42
I'm competing in Targa Tassie this year, I'm really looking forward to it. It is definetely a rally, we do recce, run on pace notes and are timed through the stages.

Ray

Mitch555
10th March 2008, 23:05
Hey Mitch 555

Targa events are different to Rallies as we know them because they use a different results system that allows for slow cars to win. IF they don't use this type of handicap system....it is not a Targa, it is a Rally. Simple.

Thanks for clarifying the difference Crunch! Though Targa therefore turning into a rally as it has already put a new competition in (Classic Outright).

Ray, have you come down and reeced yet? Your in the left hand seat with Ray Julian aren't you? Might have to come to the Regroup at Silverdome and say hi!

raybak
11th March 2008, 04:27
Coming down at Easter to do Recce.

Ray

gloomyDAY
11th March 2008, 06:40
Hey everyone.

I had no idea what Targa Taz was until I ran across this thread.
Pretty cool if you ask me! Almost makes me want to take a flight down there and enjoy some of that excitement.

Work, school, and then play....

Mitch555
12th March 2008, 07:02
Rally, Work, school, and then play....

That's more like it! I'm taking the day off school for it so feel free to take a week off work/school, perfectly good reason to!