PDA

View Full Version : MLS Question

BTCC2
15th January 2007, 19:10
I know this should probably go in the football thread but I don't know how many Americans read it.

My question is, who takes part in the MLS Cup?

Is it just the 13 MLS teams or do the other teams play aswell?

If it's just the MLS teams then it seems a bit pointless.

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2007, 23:17
BTCC, I believe it is their league championship. The MLS is a league designed to give the American and Canadian players a place to play outside of being picked up for one of the big Euro leagues. The problem though is that when US and/or Canada needs those guys for World cup qualifiers or even friendlies, they can never get half of them back because of the time difference and the European leagues reluctance to cut them loose. Of course, they have no qualms of letting their European guys go, because often they can fly out, play for their international side and fly back, and they don't lose a lot of time.

MLS is set up to develop North American players, and their cup is their cup.

It is no less pointless than the FA cup, which is a British team winning a tourney that is outside of the regular Premiership right????

millencolin
15th January 2007, 23:24
what im trying to figure out is how does an MLS team have the $300mill or whatever the figure is to pay for david beckham? their average crowd is only around 20000 people and i dont imagine corporate america getting behind MLS...

BTCC2
16th January 2007, 16:47
It is no less pointless than the FA cup, which is a British team winning a tourney that is outside of the regular Premiership right????

Yes but this year for example 687 teams took part in the FA Cup. That's why it's such a special competition to win.

BTCC2
16th January 2007, 16:49
I know MLS is the league (Major League Soccer) but I thought there was also a competition called the MLS cup.

jso1985
16th January 2007, 19:54
I think the MLS cup is the playoffs final(like the Superbowl in NFL)

BeansBeansBeans
16th January 2007, 21:24

Only teams from English League and Non-League teams are eligible for the FA Cup. Including Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham (from Wales). Whereas Berwick Rangers (who are based in the English town of Berwick) play in the Scottish league so are not eligible.

See, it's not complicated at all!

BTW Mark, I've been to the car museum in Oshawa. Really enjoyed it!

Brown, Jon Brow
16th January 2007, 21:52

The FA cup gives the lower league teams a chance to beat the top teams. Millwall got the final a few years back, but when will they next win the premiership.

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 22:52
Only teams from English League and Non-League teams are eligible for the FA Cup. Including Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham (from Wales). Whereas Berwick Rangers (who are based in the English town of Berwick) play in the Scottish league so are not eligible.

See, it's not complicated at all!

BTW Mark, I've been to the car museum in Oshawa. Really enjoyed it!

Thank you for the visit, I haven't been in the museum myself in ages. I wonder if you made the trip a kilometer and a half up the road to Parkwood as well??

No matter, thank you for explaining the FA cup to me. I am not a big soccer fan but I appreciate the sport. I didn't have to be a soccer fan though to understand the impact of the Beckham deal. IT makes no sense to me on a financial level, but it has sold 2000 season tickets in the last 4 days for the team starting up in Toronto for next year, so in a sense, it is helping soccer in North America.

The sad reality is likely though 10 years from now, it will be nothing more than a footnote in the history of soccer as a sport in North America. Pele coming to New York didn't make the NASL last beyond the 80's, so over spending on Beck's isn't likely to be anything different.

FrankenSchwinn
17th January 2007, 04:07
are you serious? you are going to ask without even searching it before?

MLS: http://www.mlsnet.com/main.jsp

MLS Cup: http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/events/mls_cup/2006/

MLS is the league, like the NBA. MLS Cup is the cup, the last match of the year, the cup, like the superbowl.

BTCC2
20th January 2007, 15:05
So what to do the other non MLS teams do? Do they have another leauge?

viper_man
20th January 2007, 15:14
Oh my God oh my God oh my God!

I stayed up late the other night as I couldnt sleep and watched the MLS cup final (I think) between Houston and someone else.

No offense to the Americans of the forum, and excuse the language, but they are ****ing ****e! Beckham is going to look like Ronaldinho

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 00:36

There is an A league which is a minor pro league, but that is about it. Soccer in North America is usually at a minor level here, and there is a lot of college soccer, but that is about it.

Soccer is played by just about every kid in North America until they find something else to do. It just dies right off, and soccer is a minor sport over here. Viper man's assessment is likely right. Becks will look like a star in the MLS.

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 00:38
Note most nations in Europe do not have 4 major professional leagues that compete at a similar level as soccer, but in North America, there are so many options that are more native to the US or Canada that kids usually end up giving up soccer for Baseball, Basketball, Football (Gridiron) or hockey. Add in Lacrosse, Golf and motorsports at a grassroots level and soccer is a niche sport.

You Euro's better hope the Americans don't take to soccer in a serious way, because if they do, they will suck away all your best pros, and they will develop their own. IF they can make the World Cup on a regular basis as indifferent to the sport as they are now, you can imagine what would happen if they really took a shine to the game!!!

jso1985
21st January 2007, 03:13

Yes there are other lower leagues in the USA, with the main difference that unlike the "normal" world, they don't have relegation-promotion systems, so all teams stay always in the same league, wich I see stupid as it makes pointless to play for lower league teams

BTCC2
26th January 2007, 15:58
I found the FA Cup equivilent in America (Cup where non MLS teams play against MLS teams) It's the US Cup.

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2007, 17:08
BTCC...you are a dedicated soccer fan, I wouldn't even go look. Most leagues here never play anyone outside in the same sport for any reason.

BenRoethig
26th January 2007, 17:35
what im trying to figure out is how does an MLS team have the $300mill or whatever the figure is to pay for david beckham? their average crowd is only around 20000 people and i dont imagine corporate america getting behind MLS...

It's 5 years/ $50million base salary plus endorsements and revenue sharing. A reliable middle to end of the rotation starting pitcher gets that much in baseball. Truth be told, I think he's getting paid more for being married to Posh Spice than any talents he might have on the field. Still, in a situation where you can't turn on a soccer match without the entire bar staring, this is a major risk.