PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR World Championship?...

veeten
4th March 2008, 12:05
hey. the way things are going, right now, it could happen.

If the individual series' in europe start converging, and the SpeedCar series in the middle/far east start picking up traction, it could create the basis for an informal world championship to happen.

Sure, Brian France & Mike Helton aren't looking to make that an imediate issue, but it's not like they aren't thinking about it. ;)

What do you think?... :)

Lee Roy
4th March 2008, 12:44
I don't think it will happen. I doubt that the NASCAR knock-off's outside of the US will ever be more than a minor series in those individual countries.

Mark
4th March 2008, 12:57
NASCAR is quite specific to the USA, and doesn't have a massive appeal outside of North America.

If you want a world wide saloon car series then you are talking about the World Touring Car Championship.

RaceFanStan
4th March 2008, 13:39
I think the auto racing fans of the world don't recognize the level of competition in NASCAR. :s
The world level auto racing series likely don't consider NASCAR as an equal. :s

I don't think you will see NASCAR involved in any kind of "world championship" ...
it will be the world's auto racing community's loss. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

BenRoethig
4th March 2008, 16:07
If you want to see what happens when you try to play by your rules in someone else's backyard, see the fates of Champ Car and the recent USGP. The only real way to do it would be to partner with DTM to get either a points or exhibition race at one of the two European ovals.

colinspooky
7th March 2008, 10:45
A lack of tracks, or at least well known superlative tracks, will hold this back.

Sort that, and it could/will happen.

But then how many investors will plough tens of millions into developing a new circuit if it only gets used once a year by the big boys, and then a few times by a series that can barely support itself.

Like everything in the world, this would be all about money, and not how American something is.

:dozey:

BenRoethig
7th March 2008, 11:14
Like everything in the world, this would be all about money, and not how American something is.
:dozey:

The two go hand in hand. Bringing something foreign in is always risky.