PDA

View Full Version : A letter to Tony George from Champ Car fans?

SpeedyRB
4th March 2008, 02:01
So this whole "merger" has got me confused. I mean, in general I am happy that there is one series, but I can't help but feel that TG and the IRL won. Even so, I want to give it a shot, because I am a fan of open-wheel cars, and want to follow a US-based series, as well as F1. I'm just worried that all TG's promises to make us Champ Car fans happy will turn to nothing in the next year or two.

Personally, I would be happy if there were a nice blend of short ovals, super-speedways, street & road courses (just like CART in its heyday). Another BIG THING is if the next generation car looked better. (See? I used restraint and didn't call it a crapwagon.) Also, wouldn't it be a nice show of faith for him to announce that the series is now officially called the "IdyCar World Series", and that the "Indy Racing League" name is being totally dropped? Personally, I cringe every time I catch myself saying "I guess I'm going to be an IRL fan now". It's hard to get past the angry emotions I associate with those three letters (IRL), and I try to say "IndyCar" as much as possible (it goes down easier).

I do want to give this thing a shot, but would feel better with more assurances from TG. Has anyone thought of drafting a letter or petition, from as many Champ Car fans as possible, detailing some of the things I described in this post, and anything else you are worried about, or anything you can think of to tell TG that would make us - his new fans - happy?

We could start it as an online petition, and then perhaps someone who is going to Long Beach could try to get some signatures there...

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
SpeedyRB

SoCalPVguy
4th March 2008, 04:26
What do you guys think?

Sorry I think that would be a big waste of time that won't do anything constructive.

Five stages of grief:

1-Denial-"this can't be happening to me", Not accepting or even acknowledging the loss. <<== "SANGUIN"

2-Anger-"why me?", feelings of wanting to fight back or get even with (TG) anger , blaming (TG) <<<== A LOT OF THIS AROUND HERE.

3-Bargaining-Attempting to make deals to stop or change the loss. Begging, wishing, praying for them to come back. <<===YOU ARE HERE

4-Depression-overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration, bitterness, self pity, mourning loss as well as the hopes, dreams and plans for the future. Feeling lack of control, feeling numb. <<=== THE "I WON'T WATCH" CROWD

5-Acceptance-there is a difference between resignation and acceptance. <<<=== ME. LET'S ALL GO RACING TOGETHER !!!

bblocker68
4th March 2008, 06:04
Dr. Anton George:

We gave you the keys, now don't f*** it up.

Rogelio
4th March 2008, 06:11
So this whole "merger" has got me confused. I mean, in general I am happy that there is one series, but I can't help but feel that TG and the IRL won. Even so, I want to give it a shot, because I am a fan of open-wheel cars, and want to follow a US-based series, as well as F1. I'm just worried that all TG's promises to make us Champ Car fans happy will turn to nothing in the next year or two.

Personally, I would be happy if there were a nice blend of short ovals, super-speedways, street & road courses (just like CART in its heyday). Another BIG THING is if the next generation car looked better. (See? I used restraint and didn't call it a crapwagon.) Also, wouldn't it be a nice show of faith for him to announce that the series is now officially called the "IdyCar World Series", and that the "Indy Racing League" name is being totally dropped? Personally, I cringe every time I catch myself saying "I guess I'm going to be an IRL fan now". It's hard to get past the angry emotions I associate with those three letters (IRL), and I try to say "IndyCar" as much as possible (it goes down easier).

I do want to give this thing a shot, but would feel better with more assurances from TG. Has anyone thought of drafting a letter or petition, from as many Champ Car fans as possible, detailing some of the things I described in this post, and anything else you are worried about, or anything you can think of to tell TG that would make us - his new fans - happy?

We could start it as an online petition, and then perhaps someone who is going to Long Beach could try to get some signatures there...

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
SpeedyRB

Whether TG realizes it or not, he needs to convert the Champ Car fans into IRL fans. The olive branch has been extended but there is a lot more to the equation. You can call us Champ Car fans sore losers, but there is much more to the story. Even with a "merged" series that does not mean that all is ok.

For example, if TG fails to convince the large Champ Car base to follow the IRL, imagine the loss of fan interest that the IRL is losing out on. Like I have said before, TG had over decade to make his "philosophy" work and in my opinion it did not work. His all oval series turned into a let's copy the CART idea of racing.

Petition or no petition, TG better heed the demands of the disinfranshised Champ Car fans. Unless, TG feels he does not need us and plans on building a new fan base.

Redracer
4th March 2008, 09:12
Dr. Anton George:

We gave you the keys, now don't f*** it up.

Exactly

Lousada
4th March 2008, 10:01
It is already called the Indycar Series (ICS) for a couple of years now. IRL is the governing body. So if you say IRL to ICS, it's the same as saying FIA to F1.

EagleEye
4th March 2008, 15:24
So this whole "merger" has got me confused. I mean, in general I am happy that there is one series, but I can't help but feel that TG and the IRL won.

It was not a merger, Champcar management failed to come up with a plan that ensured growth. Short on cash, and with no light at the end of the tunnel, they gave up (and rightfully so, though they should have done it months ago). Lack of proper management and solid business plan killed off Champcar.

Say what you will about Tony George but he could have stood idle and done nothing, and just let Champcar die on its own, without doing anything to attract the teams to the IRL. His gesture, and the strides made have made this possible and given the open wheel community (Teams, sponsors, promoters, drivers, media and fans) some hope. I applaud his efforts and actions to bolster the Open Wheel ranks.

While 2008 will seem a bit odd in many ways, I look forward to some great racing with full fields. And, the potential for 2009, with the addition of some of the races lost this season, will only fuel the fire more.

Imagine, twenty races, with 24+ cars at every race! And, since everyone is aware that the current Dallara is not the nicest looking car on the planet, one would expect the next generation car would be safer and more pleasing to the eye.

Take a deep breath, and give it time. Get everyone to watch the races on TV, and if the fans really want a successful open wheel series, they will do their part in driving the TV ratings up.

Rogelio
4th March 2008, 16:13
I agree we need to give it time. But, TG better start the PR machine and start kissing some major a## because the CART/Champ Car faithful may not join the IRL. This would be a tremendous loss to the IRL. Why? CART/Champ Car are knowledgable and passionate race fans. You do not need to convince them what racing is all about. He needs those fans more than the fans need him.

I have always been an F1 fan and this year I am planning on watching more F1 than IRL races. I am sickened by the "merger"/buyout whatever you want to call it. I was excited by the "merger" at first, but with the passage of time, I realize how ill-fated it was. The Amigos just threw in the towell, rather than trying to make it work for one last year and in the process ruined any chance of the "merged" series benefiting Champ Car.

Yes, I know that Champ Car would have struggled tremedously this year and it would have been suicidal. But, to just simply cancel all/most of the races this year is just asinine and total lack of consideration for the fans. I have been to Long Beach nearly the last 20 years and I am not in the least disappointed that I will not be there this year. I could care less. Do you think I really care about seeing the DPO1's for the last time? KK said in his press conference that this is the last time we will see them. Wow! I guess I should be there. The car was around for one year.

Dr. Krogshöj
4th March 2008, 18:16
I'm 5 as well. That said, I'll never like TG.

Indy500'79
4th March 2008, 18:25
Very well said Eagle Eye. No one here has to like TG, but he did do some things to show he wants to heal the divide. I think you can count on him listening to the overwhelming voices in the paddock that want to change the formula over the coming years. Even the current IRL teams, with one or two exceptions, want more road/street cources to balance the ovals and they all want a new and better car. I also think TG gets that trying to imitate NASCAR has been a failed experiment.

Osiris333
4th March 2008, 18:56
Look it's not that complicated.

If Indycar returns to what it was in 1995, a world class series with high tech, low downforce, sleek looking cars and a high tech high-horsepower engine, a challenging mix of oval, road and street races, then I'll watch. If not, I won't. He has one year to annouce the new "Indycar" schedule and engine and chasis rules. If it's the same dumbed down, easy to drive Danica friendly formula, I'm gone.

And yes, the name "Indy Racing League," synonymous with dumbed down, dirt track mentality NASCAR with wings oval racing has got to go.

qwinsee
5th March 2008, 03:14
Say what you will about Tony George but he could have stood idle and done nothing, and just let Champcar die on its own, without doing anything to attract the teams to the IRL. His gesture, and the strides made have made this possible and given the open wheel community (Teams, sponsors, promoters, drivers, media and fans) some hope. I applaud his efforts and actions to bolster the Open Wheel ranks.

There has not been any gestures from TG other than trying to increase his car count (which he desperately needs).

Get everyone to watch the races on TV, and if the fans really want a successful open wheel series, they will do their part in driving the TV ratings up.

I think this is a little backwards. They need to produce a product that I want to watch, I am the customer. The series I liked to watch has shut down and I never cared much for the IRL. Nothing evil, I just never cared for the IRL's show. If they want fans, they need to do more than absorb some teams. Time will tell if they get that right, or not.

jimispeed
5th March 2008, 07:04
I think this is a little backwards. They need to produce a product that I want to watch, I am the customer. The series I liked to watch has shut down and I never cared much for the IRL. Nothing evil, I just never cared for the IRL's show. If they want fans, they need to do more than absorb some teams. Time will tell if they get that right, or not.

Agreed.

Dave Brock
5th March 2008, 09:19
It was not a merger, Champcar management failed to come up with a plan that ensured growth. Short on cash, and with no light at the end of the tunnel, they gave up (and rightfully so, though they should have done it months ago). Lack of proper management and solid business plan killed off Champcar.

(me too)

While 2008 will seem a bit odd in many ways, I look forward to some great racing with full fields. And, the potential for 2009, with the addition of some of the races lost this season, will only fuel the fire more.

(and thats not even mentioning Marco or Danica)

Imagine, twenty races, with 24+ cars at every race! And, since everyone is aware that the current Dallara is not the nicest looking car on the planet, one would expect the next generation car would be safer and more pleasing to the eye.

Take a deep breath, and give it time. Get everyone to watch the races on TV, and if the fans really want a successful open wheel series, they will do their part in driving the TV ratings up.

Let'em buy tix and get a taste of what they've never conceived of,
if they are willing to spend untold hours whining here about their supposed pain and suffering like little girlies
they owe themselve a big drink from the fountian of racing in America...
unless they AIN'T Americans...
and in that case they can go fish with Bernie for all I care. :rolleyes:

qwinsee
5th March 2008, 11:54
Let'em buy tix and get a taste of what they've never conceived of,
if they are willing to spend untold hours whining here about their supposed pain and suffering like little girlies
they owe themselve a big drink from the fountian of racing in America...
unless they AIN'T Americans...
and in that case they can go fish with Bernie for all I care. :rolleyes:

I've boughten the "tix". I went to MIS a few years back to an IRL race. The place was dead. During qualifying, I walked up to Andretti's pit stall and I could watch the monitors with the engineers. NOBODY was there. The teams didn't have barriers to hald back the people because there wasn't anyone to hold back. This is exactly the point. The IRL needs cars, sponsors and most of all fans. You are correct "I YAIN'T AMURICAN". TG better figure out how to get U AMURICANS to the track or the IRL might be the next casualty.

weeflyonthewall
5th March 2008, 22:05

Things weren't getting any better for either side were they Eagle Eye? You're close enough to several teams on both sides to see this first hand. You also know how most open wheel fans saw the DP01's as a breath of fresh air compared to those ugly IRL cars. Amalgamation is more appropriate than merger. George had no choice since his beloved Indy 500 would have had a pretty bad centennial celebration if things progressed the same as the last ten years. If there was ever a good time for KK to abandon his partners and close the books on CC, this was it.

millencolin
6th March 2008, 02:01
I'm 5 as well. That said, I'll never like TG.

I'm exactly the same. Never forget what tony did at first to get open wheel racing to the sorry state that is today. But its time to forgive and go racing!!!!

!!WALDO!!
6th March 2008, 04:01
I'm exactly the same. Never forget what tony did at first to get open wheel racing to the sorry state that is today. But its time to forgive and go racing!!!!

First thing he did was race in the ARS so he saw how screwed up the ladder was, second thing he did was offer the sanction to the 500 to CART but they refused to vote on it. Third thing he did was offer a "new engine" formula that PENSKE destroyed in 1994.

Here three strike and your out.

pits4me
6th March 2008, 17:55
First thing he did was race in the ARS so he saw how screwed up the ladder was, second thing he did was offer the sanction to the 500 to CART but they refused to vote on it. Third thing he did was offer a "new engine" formula that PENSKE destroyed in 1994.

Here three strike and your out.

He also showed his arrogance when racing in the ARS. Very touchy subject with Steve Patrick.

Since you claim to know so much about what went on in the CART board room maybe you can elude to all the agreements consumated when key figures like Gurney, et al, left the room for a nature break.

What were the benefits of this proposed engine formula and how would it have effected Penske's relationship with ilmor?