PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the reds

PSfan
15th January 2007, 12:08
Taking a play outa the champcar notebook, it appears that we will have Red tires in F1 after all:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You read it here first - Red Tyres

It is understood that, in order to enhance Bridgestone's visibility after the withdrawal of Michelin, and to spice up the action for spectators, running two distinct tyre compounds - a 'hard' and a 'soft' - during every race will be mandatory for drivers.

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1168851469/formula_one/F1headlines/You-read-it-here-first-Red-Tyres/view.html

While it should be interesting to see how well teams come up with set-ups that are gonna be friendly to both types of tires, I am looking forward to seeing how the Reds look on a Ferrari... :)

Ranger
15th January 2007, 12:15
I like. Going to make understanding the race in Melbourne a whole lot easier for me. :)

Hawkmoon
15th January 2007, 12:16
I hate this kind of crap!

Stop messing around with stupid rules to "enhance the show" and let the best team win.

This is just like the fuel-in qualifying rubbish. Once the teams got the hang of it we rarely saw a mixed up grids and all we got was boring qualifying sessions.

I think the same thing will happen here. The teams will work out when the best time to run the soft tyres is, and they will all run them at the same time, thereby negating any interest at who's on what tyre.

Keep it simple and let them race. Stop dicking around with the sporting regs! :(

Ranger
15th January 2007, 12:46
I hate this kind of crap!

Stop messing around with stupid rules to "enhance the show" and let the best team win.

This is just like the fuel-in qualifying rubbish. Once the teams got the hang of it we rarely saw a mixed up grids and all we got was boring qualifying sessions.

I think the same thing will happen here. The teams will work out when the best time to run the soft tyres is, and they will all run them at the same time, thereby negating any interest at who's on what tyre.

Keep it simple and let them race. Stop dicking around with the sporting regs! :(

But there was already a limit of 2 compounds for teams to bring for a race. This rule just makes those compounds visible to the public. If ChampCar is anything to go by, then it should be pretty good.

Though I agree, most of the time, the best team will come out on top - but this is what happens with every rule regarding happenings in the race or qualifying. But it is more variables that make a race more interesting.

IMO of course.

PSfan
15th January 2007, 12:52
But there was already a limit of 2 compounds for teams to bring for a race. This rule just makes those compounds visible to the public. If ChampCar is anything to go by, then it should be pretty good.

Though I agree, most of the time, the best team will come out on top - but this is what happens with every rule regarding happenings in the race or qualifying. But it is more variables that make a race more interesting.

IMO of course.

Yes, but before, once a team had chosen the compound they where using for the race, they where stuck using it throughout. Now they are being forced to use them both.

But are they gonna be allowed to use the softer tires during qualifying?

Storm
15th January 2007, 13:23
red tyres ? Ugh.

Big Ben
15th January 2007, 22:21
I think they'll look ridiculous. IMO.

DimitraF1
15th January 2007, 22:36
any pictures of the new tyres??? :P

POS_Maggott
15th January 2007, 22:56
any pictures of the new tyres??? :P

If it's anything like Champ Car, expect them to look like this...

millencolin
16th January 2007, 00:14
the red tyres work fantastic in champcar... but why is f1 looking to champcar for ideas on how to enhance the show.... whats next? Push To Pass?

PSfan
16th January 2007, 02:02
the red tyres work fantastic in champcar... but why is f1 looking to champcar for ideas on how to enhance the show.... whats next? Push To Pass?

Well, its not really f1 getting the idea from Champcar so much as it was Bridgestone getting the idea from Champcar, mind you I can see a little bit of logic in there. Now if a team claims they performed badly because of getting bad tires, Bridgestone can argue that it wasn't the tires, but the car that wasn't set up good enough to handle to handle one of the compounds of tires.

Also, Mosley has already mentioned a system similar to the push to pass, (except it uses recycled energy from braking...) So yah, thats next... :p

DonnieDarco
16th January 2007, 05:08
Ferrari Red? Because that wouldn't be a shock, lets face it :D

Storm
16th January 2007, 08:46
phew atleast from that champcar pic, its only the sidewall thats red...I had imagined a completely red tyre! That would have been crap.

ShiftingGears
21st January 2007, 08:43
Seems at this stage, there won't be red tyres.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1858229,00.html

"A spokesman for F1's only tyre supplier said that Bridgestone, "has not at this time" held official discussions about the proposal with the FIA or the eleven teams. "

PSfan
22nd January 2007, 00:28
Seems at this stage, there won't be red tyres.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1858229,00.html

"A spokesman for F1's only tyre supplier said that Bridgestone, "has not at this time" held official discussions about the proposal with the FIA or the eleven teams. "

The tires wont be red, however it looks like they have decided to force the drivers to run 2 different compounds during a dry race. I can understand teams may not want any visual qlues as to what tires their running during the race because it will give away their pit strategies... I guess another thing this accomplishes is no more one stoppers, as the forced soft tires should be able to last 1/2 a race distance...

call_me_andrew
22nd January 2007, 00:47

Actually Cosworth did apply that to their F1 engines last year. They even lobbied the FIA to incorporate that into the rules, but to no avail.

phew atleast from that champcar pic, its only the sidewall thats red...I had imagined a completely red tyre! That would have been crap.

Well they have that to. http://www.pitpass.com/images/headlines/bridgestoneredtyre400.jpg

V12
22nd January 2007, 01:42
I hope there won't be mandatory "red" tyres...what next, success ballast and reverse grids and all that rubbish too? I'm all for Bridgestone bringing different compounds etc. like Goodyear used to, but let the teams pick what they want, when they want, and there's no need to paint them red FFS...

PSfan
22nd January 2007, 05:25
`Red Tyre` rule confussion

Although the rules have been tweaked so that each driver must use two types of tyre compound at each grand prix, early this week it was suggested that the regulation would involve the red colouration of the softer option's side walls.

Article 77c of the Sporting Regulations reads: "Unless he has used wet or extreme-weather tyres during the race, each driver must use at least one set of each specification of dry-weather tyres during the race."

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1169200396/formula_one/F1headlines/Red-Tyre-rule-confusion/view.html

Tazio
27th January 2007, 16:32
RBR Drivers speak out!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38348

I predict this regulation is repealed before they hit the European circuits!

agwiii
27th January 2007, 17:29
I hope there won't be mandatory "red" tyres...what next, success ballast and reverse grids and all that rubbish too? I'm all for Bridgestone bringing different compounds etc. like Goodyear used to, but let the teams pick what they want, when they want, and there's no need to paint them red FFS...

I agree with you! The more rules, regulations, and controls, the closer F1 moved toward professional wrestling. :up:

jso1985
28th January 2007, 23:06
I never liked rules that artificially "enhance the show".
and it's also worrying that this might lead to more rubbish to enhance the show like reverse grids or cars on fire...
It'd be cool to know if they're on softs or hards but I do hope they don't make it mandatory to use both

Dazz9908
29th January 2007, 00:08
Another stupid rule.
But looks like we have to live with it.
Hope it back fires.
But I expect most will use the soft tyre at the start of the race or at the end so over taking will be even more limited!

Ari
29th January 2007, 01:55
I personally think the whole red business is ridiculous.

Its becoming a joke.... the whole thing.

PSfan
8th March 2007, 01:40
Looks like bridgestone will have its way, except it won't be red:

After much speculation on the subject, Formula 1 is set to adopt Champ Car-inspired “red tire” rules for its 2007 season, autosport.com reports.

According to the report, a “simple marking” that distinguishes both compounds is the likeliest alternative, especially with the Melbourne season opener being less than two weeks away. That marking could be a large white circle on the sidewall, which would remain visible with the wheel in motion.

Another reason to veto the red sidewalls in F1 would be a much higher cost than in Champ Car, given that the amount of tires taken to each race is much larger.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/35806/

Well I wish they would just make up their minds on this... Wonder if this new rule will make the tires look like they have white walls? Not a pleasant thought... :p :

Shifter
8th March 2007, 03:32
Totally against it. I actually enjoy it in Champcar because Champcar is its own unique series catering to the driver first and foremost.

However, if indeed this two compound stuff comes to stay at F1 for the forseeable future the best way by far to distiguish the two is to have the hard compounds be grooved the way they've been for the past several years and the soft compounds be full slicks!