PDA

View Full Version : Competition... in other places.

veeten
28th February 2008, 13:02
With the reunification of both sides in American Open Wheel racing, within three years the IndyCar Series could return to a point in time when it had became a rival for Formula 1, in ethusiasm and viewing numbers.

Could this happen again?

Remember, prior to the split, others from Aryton Senna de Silva to Ferrari had used the spectre of CART as leverage in their dealings with the teams and the FIA. Given time, this could make a not-so-welcome comeback (for Bernie, Max, et al, at least). At present, there is not much comment from the two, or many others from the paddocks to the luxury suites, about the events of the past week, but there will surely be. And, how will they take the assesments of the new IndyCar when 2012 rolls by?

An interesting question, indeed...

ArrowsFA1
28th February 2008, 13:49
A very interesting question. Back in the days when Nigel Mansell upped sticks and moved across the pond CART was seen as a very attractive alternative to F1 and there was enormous interest in the series outside the US. The Split put paid to that.

Given that F1 seems to be in the process of deciding what exactly it wants to be, and that there is disatisfaction with many aspects of the sport, there could be an opportunity for the Indycar series to develop as an attractive alternative again.

However, if the unified series looks more to the States then F1 has little to fear. That said, F1 has the arrogance to believe nothing can or ever will usurp it as the primary single seater series in the world. In the long term that could be a mistake.

At present, whatever you think of it, NASCAR has momentum. It has drivers who are recognised worldwide, it has sponsors, fans and a whole lot of races that provide entertainment. Indycar will have a hell of a job to approach, let alone match that, in the coming years so they may not even try.

How about 'going after' F1 instead? With races already in Japan, Australia and Europe, as well as the US, there could be the potential to do so. Keep costs contained, provide competitive entertaining races and internationally recognised drivers then Indycar may have a chance.

Rather than try to get F1 back to Indy, how about using the infield for an Indycar race in addtion to the 500? That could be the first step. F1 would find it very difficult to get a foothold in the US if this happened, and if F1 is not in the US then it could struggle to compete for international coverage with NASCAR and Indycar, and that has implications for sponsorship etc, etc, etc...

Sleeper
28th February 2008, 14:23
I dont see that happening any time soon to be honest. If it is ever to happen, Tony Geprge and co will have to come up with one hell of a strategy to push the series forward from the doldrums it currently inhabits.

wedge
28th February 2008, 15:14
Yes, I think it can be like the late 1990s again but it will depend on a number of factors.

The major one I think is young drivers coming into series - the Greg Moore's and JPM's who were young, fresh, raw talent and could excite the fans - just a darn shame AJ Allmendinger is in NASCAR.

wmcot
29th February 2008, 06:45
I can't speak for everyone, but the reasons I watch F1 are different than the reasons I watch IRL/Chanp Car or the reasons I watch ALMS. I find different things to enjoy in each series.

F1 has never been marketed to its full potential in the USA so the fan base is small compared to NASCAR which is marketed everywhere!