PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Rallye Monte Carlo thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

JAM
23rd January 2007, 01:31
To SUBARUNORWAY1:

Unfortunatelly i didn't see the Monte Carlo SS on TV.

To jso1985

I agree with everything that could increase the spectacle. If special tyres on a city SS are good to aproach the public to rallying, them we must do it.

The question of the tyres used on Monte Carlo SS is not even a question. They are tyres and that's ok. Because if you put a question about tyres, you could also put a question on why cars must have XXkg of minimum wheight? Why cars must have some dimensions if they are not like road cars? Why cars can't use some kind of parts if they could be better with it? That's all questions that we could do with the MC SS tyres question.

The SS was against the clock and the cars were not making a racing, só it wqs rally. Why rally can't have a SS on a city or why all they have to use BFGoodich tyres?

That's all questions, but we must thing about that and about the visibility that rallying needs. And needs a lot, believe me...

ZequeArgentina
23rd January 2007, 03:00
The only problem is that what newcomers to rally see, is not rallying, is drifting. It is OK for a show, any rally fan could note even by TV that cars were abnormally sliding and I like, sure. The problem is that you can see that the cars were not going as they should!!
I could admit one superspecial as a show, but the problem is the tendency: we had complete stage coverage of the superspecial and almost nothing of the real rallying. And you know how important the coverage is to manufacturers, sponsor, and as a result even for drivers careers!!

Limitations can exist (as slicks banned in F1, we can live with that), but not try to mask the escence of rally.

I even think that today tires, and short stages are one of the causes of such big differences and "on the rail" cars. But a solution should come from longer stages (which will drive to harder tires), for example.

Erki
23rd January 2007, 07:19
You didn't see it on TV? ok They started at each end of the track at the same time and did to laps so the finish was where they started
So there were two starting points? This is actually somewhat unfair. Even in those paired tracks, one track is usually slightly faster because the last corner before the start-finish is faster and the speed they cross the start-finish line is higher -> better stage time. There should have been one starting point for everyone.

aivan
23rd January 2007, 08:25
Erki I don't think it's unfair... They cover 2 laps... and 2 laps are 2 laps. No better or worse starting point in my view

A.F.F.
23rd January 2007, 08:47
If I recall right, they put Mikko and Chris into different heats to a same starting point. So at least they had the exact track both of them.

ST205GT4
23rd January 2007, 09:12
Good on Mikko for being there to congratulate Chris. What a great sportsman!

A.F.F.
23rd January 2007, 09:37
He was still very pissed off about loosing.

JAM
23rd January 2007, 11:22
The only problem is that what newcomers to rally see, is not rallying, is drifting. It is OK for a show, any rally fan could note even by TV that cars were abnormally sliding and I like, sure. The problem is that you can see that the cars were not going as they should!!
I could admit one superspecial as a show, but the problem is the tendency: we had complete stage coverage of the superspecial and almost nothing of the real rallying. And you know how important the coverage is to manufacturers, sponsor, and as a result even for drivers careers!!

Limitations can exist (as slicks banned in F1, we can live with that), but not try to mask the escence of rally.

I even think that today tires, and short stages are one of the causes of such big differences and "on the rail" cars. But a solution should come from longer stages (which will drive to harder tires), for example.

Well.... we had a car alone against the clock, we had one city rally stage after 14 SS during the week end. Where is the problem of the car slide on corners? Where you see there isn't rally spirit?

What's the essence of rally? isn't to fight against the clock on roads where corners could be impredictable? Why a excepcionally road inside a city where the cars could slide is against the rally spirit? Where did they failed puting the rally in a city to be seen by thounsand of spectators?

Honestly i have dificult to see why some members see a problem in a action that is positive to rallying. People know that rallying is on raods and on montains and all that stuff. But people also find interesting when rallying come to the street of his house.

For me the "rally came to town" si good, is one adiction to all the thing, is not "the thing" is an adiction.

AndyRAC
23rd January 2007, 11:49
I'd rather have a stage in the town centre than a superspecial. The Cyprus city centre looked good and could be improved, and made safer. How about one in the centre of Cardiff? Superspecials are only okay, a city centre stage looks better.

Christina
23rd January 2007, 12:12
I like that idea. When rally australia was still held in perth i'd drive around the city trying to figure out a route that the cars could take.

But then again, the one they do in St Wendel in Germany is pretty rubbish, at least from where i was standing.

Mickey T
23rd January 2007, 13:41
with any luck, the control tyre will bring us the best of both worlds.

i hope the organisers have the forethought to brief the supplier that we, the fans, want a tyre that allows the cars to slide all the time on every surface.

if it's the same for everybody, everywhere, then it's not a negative and the show will be a lot better.

JAM
23rd January 2007, 13:59
In resume we want more show, with simple things and less politics.

Erki
23rd January 2007, 14:24
I like that idea. When rally australia was still held in perth i'd drive around the city trying to figure out a route that the cars could take.

But then again, the one they do in St Wendel in Germany is pretty rubbish, at least from where i was standing.

I like St Wendel, from Colin McRae's perspective... ;)

Tom206wrc
23rd January 2007, 19:08
Apparently Vitor Sà will drive an S2000 car this year on Madeira championship, but he seems to hesitate between the 207 and the Punto... ;)

http://www.ralismadeira.com/?p=62

JAM
23rd January 2007, 19:13
The man likes the french people :)

jso1985
24th January 2007, 20:52
Honestly i have dificult to see why some members see a problem in a action that is positive to rallying. People know that rallying is on raods and on montains and all that stuff. But people also find interesting when rallying come to the street of his house.

For me the "rally came to town" si good, is one adiction to all the thing, is not "the thing" is an adiction.

The stage itself was ok to me, what I didn't like was that 1/3 of the TV coverage was about that bloody stage and that they turn it into a drifting competition

AndyRAC
24th January 2007, 22:08
Anybody seen this weeks MN and the comments by Dave Richards. He didn't like the Service Park because it made the WRC look like it did 10 years ago, (When it was good) and he wasn't keen on Night stages because it didn't suit T.V. Now all say aagghh, there's more to WRC than TV, in fact TV has ruined the WRC.

vittorio
24th January 2007, 22:52
my photo ici

http://www.vittoriosanguineti.it/RALLY2007/WRC_MONTECARLO_2007/index.html

good vision

Karukera
25th January 2007, 09:43
Great start to the season for both C4. It's easy to forget how beautiful those rally cars are. Fantastic event, it really worthed the 7000kms flight. Felt a lot for JML, damn bridge !
Recce video of the SSS with new camera. Zero sport interest, only behind the scenes stuff and unusual images of WRCs overtaking on a circuit track.

Hyvä Seb !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SutNOKW7rQ

cosmicpanda
25th January 2007, 11:30
David Richards is a fool. Chris Atkinson on WRC.com and, I think, Manfred Stohl have already said that the amount of spectators on the stages was amazing and that this year's Monte will probably have the largest number of spectators all year. Monte Carlo obviously did something right, including the night stages and the shift to Valence.

And what does he mean, the night stages weren't good on TV? Those onboard shots on one of the morning stages were good. And do exhausts on formula one cars have obvious blue flames shooting out of them? :p :

JAM
25th January 2007, 14:17
David Richards is a fool. Chris Atkinson on WRC.com and, I think, Manfred Stohl have already said that the amount of spectators on the stages was amazing and that this year's Monte will probably have the largest number of spectators all year. Monte Carlo obviously did something right, including the night stages and the shift to Valence.

And what does he mean, the night stages weren't good on TV? Those onboard shots on one of the morning stages were good. And do exhausts on formula one cars have obvious blue flames shooting out of them? :p :

That's why i say and will continue saying that some people are on the wrong place. These are the mans that almost destroyed WRC and that are not happy in destroying, because think that the solution to the problem is continuing on the same line of work...

http://www.acm.mc/ramc/2007/popup_galeries_2007.php?ind=13&origine_gal=1

cut the b.s.
25th January 2007, 15:18

I agree, the night stages looked great, the flames from the Focus and sparks etc made an interesting change, wouldnt like all events to be in dark but it does make a nice change to see some stages run this way

AndyRAC
25th January 2007, 15:33
I agree, the night stages looked great, the flames from the Focus and sparks etc made an interesting change, wouldnt like all events to be in dark but it does make a nice change to see some stages run this way

Here, here, I agree, there is something special about night stages. Hope they use them on Rally GB, but I doubt it. Hope other countries will consider running them, but not all of them.

PatRedmond
25th January 2007, 16:29
my photo ici

http://www.vittoriosanguineti.it/RALLY2007/WRC_MONTECARLO_2007/index.html

good vision

Fantastic pics, Vittorio. Thank you!

jonkka
26th January 2007, 16:26

I think that move away from night stages was not because those weren't good on TV though it was quoted as one of the reasons, yes. The primary reason was that in order for TV programme to be ready in time for broadcast AND being able to show leaderboard at the end of the day, leg would have to have ended early enough. Obviously, starting legs during early night isn't preferrably for crews spending enough time on the road as it is.

Monte's solution, having two stages in Thursday evening, was good. Too much night stages isn't the target but to get some once in a while is a refreshing change and welcome addition, IMO.

peterpz
26th January 2007, 16:53
Here are fantastic photos!!!! http://www.autoklub.pl/1169629402,,galeria.html?

animrallye
26th January 2007, 17:26
Wonderful pics :up:

WRC1
28th January 2007, 09:35
hi,

i was at monte and thanks to Kyril (the storm) my sattelit tv set at home did not record the day´s summarys, last year there was a link to a page where you could watch the daily eurosport programm, my question, is this service still existing??

regards

wrc1

traxx
28th January 2007, 10:04
French TV :
http://wrc.is.free.fr/posts/2007/01/28/277-resume-monte-carlo

Viktory
28th January 2007, 11:35
English Eurosport WRC coverage:

http://enormouslysideways.net/DoubleUAreSea/

WRC1
29th January 2007, 08:07