PDA

View Full Version : California to become restrictor plate track?

racingrivalsDOT
27th February 2008, 03:06
Anyone heard this?

Sparky1329
27th February 2008, 03:25
Yep. Right here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=3265511

muggle not
27th February 2008, 03:52
Yep. Right here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=3265511

hehe, Mikey always did run his mouth a bit. ;)

tstran17_88
27th February 2008, 04:05
Didn't Mikey have a restrictor plate on his mouth in a commercial once? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Sparky1329
27th February 2008, 05:05
hehe, Mikey always did run his mouth a bit. ;)

You don't supposed he wants this to happen because it's the only kind of tracks he can win on, do you? ;)

Sparky1329
27th February 2008, 05:08
Didn't Mikey have a restrictor plate on his mouth in a commercial once? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Of course it was him. Nobody else needs one. Heck, he could use one on his mouth all the time in my opinion.

harvick#1
27th February 2008, 06:17
oh man, it would be New Hampshire all over again :mark:

JovialJooles
27th February 2008, 09:40
You don't supposed he wants this to happen because it's the only kind of tracks he can win on, do you? ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

24thunder
27th February 2008, 13:27

Yes,I do!
Michael's trying to get another track where he might have a slight chance of winning.Try to win a short track or road course victory and be a man.

Racin' Rob
27th February 2008, 17:15
The speeds are not at the dangerous levels they were when restrictor plates were first introduced. We did see some of the faster cars on Sunday/Monday doing upwards of 208mph when entering turn 1, but this speed was only that high for a very short time - a few seconds at the end of the front stretch.

When Bobby Allison had the bad crash at Talladega in 1987 the brought the us the restrictor plate era the average speeds around the track were over 210mph which means sustaned speeds around the entire track were this high. So the top speeds would have been close to the 220mph mark.

I hope there is not any serious discussions within Nascar to have anymore tracks become restrictor plate tracks. Besides I don't think there are any other trakcs that can safely have cars 2 or 3 wide around the entire track. This would cause many more accidents with many more cars involved than what they may save.

Regards,

Lee Roy
27th February 2008, 18:59
When Bobby Allison had the bad crash at Talladega in 1987 the brought the us the restrictor plate era the average speeds around the track were over 210mph which means sustaned speeds around the entire track were this high. So the top speeds would have been close to the 220mph mark.

Bill Elliott sat on the pole for that race at over 212 MPH.

call_me_andrew
28th February 2008, 04:42
And Bill Elliott didn't have the draft.

No one will ever build another track like Daytona or Talladega. Ever!

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
28th February 2008, 09:30
And Bill Elliott didn't have the draft.

No one will ever build another track like Daytona or Talladega. Ever!

Why not?. fans like the racing, and with tracks like cali struggling to sell tickets changing the track to allow for close racing makes sense. i would rather have another superspeedway on the calander than a cookie cutter.

Ive never got why these tracks that were built in the 90's are all so alike. it makes no sense. did the track owners think that fast cars = good racing?. if i was building a track i would be looking to build something different something that was unique. Look at bristol, it always sells out id build me anotherone of them. If you look at the calander there are tracks that stand out.

Daytona
Bristol
Darlington
Dover
Charlotte
Indy
Martinsville
Talladega

All these tracks are very different from one another (you could argue that the restrictor plate tracks are similar) and have there own unique points that draw me to them. Alot of the 1.5 mile tracks seem like fillers to me, something to flesh out the season. Now if those tracks had there own shapes
and had something to set themselves apart from each other i bet they would find it alot easier to sell tickets. Sometimes it can feel like we are seeing them race at the same track each week.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
28th February 2008, 09:43
Just to add, the race Monday was actually pretty good. the shorter race distance might have had something to do with it. maybe 400 miles is the new 500.

Nick Brad
28th February 2008, 10:09
Different isn't always good, look at the shape of Rockingham in the UK. I'd much prefer to have a cookie cutter in this instance.

JovialJooles
28th February 2008, 12:45
I actually like the shape and configuration of Rockingham - from a fans view. All the corners are different and we have had a lot of 2 & 3 wide racing.

For those who are unfamiliar with Rockingham in the UK, here is a picture of the track.

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/race-tracks/rockingham-raceway.htm

nigelred5
28th February 2008, 13:27
Naa, We've already got the asymmetric track in Pocono. I'd rather see a Nazareth but 50% wider racing surface. Similar to Rockingham with it's asymmetric layout, but the track also had a fairly significant grade change foe a track with minimal banking. It was too narrow for good stock car racing, but a wider track would have been awesome. I could deal with another Richmond. I haven't seen a stock car on the IOWA track yet.

California wasn't built for Nascar, it was built by Penske for CART and open wheelers in mind, just as Homestead was originally. Please don't screw up another track because the cars aren't set up for the track.

The cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks are about as successful as the cookie cutter multi-sport stadiums built in the late 60's and early seventies. The only thing they did well was suck for both sports.

If they go restrictor plates at California, will Michigan and Atlanta be far behind? Twwo is enough.

RaceFanStan
28th February 2008, 15:23
Restrictor plates have been rumored to be coming to Atlanta for several years ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif
I hope it doesn't happen @ California as I don't like the restrictor plates ANYWHERE ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Lee Roy
28th February 2008, 17:08
It ain't gonna happen.

UPDATE 2: A senior spokesman for track operator International Speedway Corp. said Wednesday that there are no plans to turn Auto Club Speedway into a restrictor-plate configuration or otherwise modify the layout of the 2.0-mile facility that hosts two NASCAR race weekends annually. ISC owns the track and ultimately would be the entity approving and paying for any track changes. But none are forthcoming, an ISC official confirmed. But Wes Harris, ISC’s senior director, corporate and investor communications, said Wednesday there are no plans for such an extreme and costly makeover. In fact, Harris said, it isn’t even in the discussion phase, nor is it likely to be.(SPEEDTV.com)(2-28-2008)

California wasn't built for Nascar, it was built by Penske for CART and open wheelers in mind, just as Homestead was originally. Please don't screw up another track because the cars aren't set up for the track.

California wasn't built for NASCAR, but NASCAR pays the bills so they will do as they darn well please. It's the Golden Rule - He with the gold, rules.

call_me_andrew
29th February 2008, 04:05
If I were to build a new track, I'd build something that looks like this.

To give you a sense of scale, that's about 1.375 miles (2.212km), but it contains a roval and a short track. Turn 1 would be banked 9°, turns 2 and 3 would be 12°, and turn 4 would be 18°. The roval runs clockwise and if you look closely, you'll notice that it actually includes part of pit road.