PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best active driver in the series now?

F1boat
26th February 2008, 07:41
Now, when CC and IRL are finally unified, who is the best active driver? Seb left to F1 and Dario & Sam went to NASCAR, yet there are still many good drivers in the series. But who is the best?
I think that it is Dan Wheldon!

ShiftingGears
26th February 2008, 07:54
Will Power or Doorknobs.

Ranger
26th February 2008, 07:57
You may as well discount CCWS drivers from this equation until more street circuits are added to the series, as not many of them have driven on ovals, yet alone superspeedways.

The best CCWS drivers remaining are Wilson and Power, Servia and Tracy.
The best IRL drivers remaining are Wheldon, Castroneves.

No idea who'll turn out on top, though.

Hotlavaaaa
26th February 2008, 08:03
I'd say Dixon, Castroneves and Kanaan from the IRL and Wilson, Junqueira, and Power from CC. In terms of career stats Paul Tracy is probably the most successful driver in either series, but at this point in his career he probably isn't the best active driver.

Hoss Ghoul
26th February 2008, 08:12
I would not discout Scott Dixon or even Tony Kannan from the top of any list.

Dan Wheldon 13

Helio Castroneves 12 (+6 in CC)

Tony Kannan 12 (+1 in CC)

Scott Dixon 10 (+1 in CC)

Paul Tracy 31 (4 since 2004)

Bruno Junqueira 8

Justin Wilson 4

Mario Dominguez, Robert Doornbos, Will Power 2

Noteworthy- Rahal IRL Driver Ryan Hunter-Reay has 2 Champ Car wins

BobGarage
26th February 2008, 08:15
justin wilson!!!

dan wheldon is certainly not the best driver and was well beaten by Justin in lower formula ;)

I'd put Dixon, Power, Doornbos (if he makes the switch) higher than wheldon.

jimispeed
26th February 2008, 09:29
For all of you who didn't watch Champcar, Robert Doornbos is one hell of a driver!! He gets my vote. Hope he comes along!!

infoxicated
26th February 2008, 10:47
Cartainly Dixon has to be up there, and on ovals Dan Wheldon and TK are ridiculously good. Of the CC crowd I think Wilson will be red hot on the road courses and Doornbos is brilliant - heck of a nice guy, too, so I'm glad to have a personality like him in the IndyCar Series. :)

Man I cannot wait until the start of this season - it's going to be fantastic. PT and Briscoe back on ovals has got disaster written all over it, but I cannot wait to see the racing! :D

Breeze
26th February 2008, 11:46
PT and Briscoe back on ovals has got disaster written all over it, but I cannot wait to see the racing! :D

:rotflmao:
PT is more dangerous on road courses, really. For best series driver I'll put my money on Justin Wilson first, then Castroneves. He and Kanaan are terrific RC drivers, all three of them, really. I think Justin will adapt to ovals well as he is a very astute driver, very aware. Not to mention smooth, fast and fearless.

Chris R
26th February 2008, 12:42
I'd say Dixon, Castroneves and Kanaan from the IRL and Wilson, Junqueira, and Power from CC. In terms of career stats Paul Tracy is probably the most successful driver in either series, but at this point in his career he probably isn't the best active driver.

I think this is a pretty good assessment of the situation....

No, wait - its MILKA!!! lol

Alexamateo
26th February 2008, 13:09
I'd rate the top 3 as Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, and Helio Castroneves. Nobody coming over from Champcar has a significant # of wins except Tracy, who is probably not at his career peak at this point of the game. (although, in combined statistics, he is tied for 7th all-time with Sebastien with 31 wins, and only 3 wins behind Al Unser Jr. for 6th. (plus some here will say that he's in 7th alone with 32 wins ;) , but that's a whole another story :p : ))

nigelred5
26th February 2008, 13:21
I wouldn't necessarily count absolute number of wins in CCWS as an indicator of the quality of the driver. Many of the drivers left only have a season or two in the series or a competetive car. Unless you were Bourdais in a Newman Haas car, you were basically fighting for second place the past 4 years. I am quite sad that we arent' going to see JW on the CCWS tracks in a NHL car this year. He had to have been considered the odds on favorite to win the CCWS title. Wilson is a great driver, but his size may hamper him a bit more in the IRL due to the infamous car/driver weight issue.

pvtjoker
26th February 2008, 13:23
From the IRL...Castroneves, Kanaan, Wheldon and Dixon. From CC...Wilson, Powers, Junky and Rahal

ChicagocrewIRL
26th February 2008, 14:19
Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon.... both these guys have proven records on ovals and road and street courses. Both are ex-CART guys.

Of the CCWS guys, who has any oval experience ?

garyshell
26th February 2008, 15:46
All you folks a hedging your bets. The question was DRIVER, not driverS.

I am going to put my money on just one. Tony Kanaan. Justin and Bobby D are good, but their (and the teams) inexprerience with the Dallara will set them back for THIS year.

Ok, line in sand clearly drawn. Now guys and gals, go back and pick ONE. (No hedging.) We'll meet up here at the end of the season and compare notes over a frosty malted beverage.

Gary

jimispeed
26th February 2008, 15:54
Now guys and gals, go back and pick ONE. (No hedging.) We'll meet up here at the end of the season and compare notes over a frosty malted beverage.

Gary

My vote: Robert Doornbos

I know that sounds crazy coming from me, because I didn't go with someone who is more imbedded in Champcar, but Robert Doornbos came damn close to beating Nigel Mansell's rookie record in Champcar. I can't deny him the respect. If not this year, then in the near future.....

Breeze
26th February 2008, 15:55

I am going to put my money on just one. Tony Kanaan. Justin and Bobby D are good, but their (and the teams) inexprerience with the Dallara will set them back for THIS year.

Ok, line in sand clearly drawn. Now guys and gals, go back and pick ONE. (No hedging.) We'll meet up here at the end of the season and compare notes over a frosty malted beverage.

Gary
Hardly fair to compare at the end as the CC drivers won't be able to show their true speed for some time yet. The question was 'who's the best', not who's most likely to win the championship this year. I still stand by Justin Wilson on who's the best. As for champion, I'll plump for Dixtronevenaan. ;)

26th February 2008, 17:14
Now guys and gals, go back and pick ONE.

Scott Dixon.

bblocker68
26th February 2008, 17:21
We're talking about drivers, not drivers and what car they are driving.

If I went by who was going to win the most races, I'd vote for Kanaan, Castroneves or Wheldon. Dixon not far behind.

If I were to vote for talent, it'd be those 3 plus PT, Wilson and Doorbos. Up and comers would have to be Andretti and Rahal.

If I have to choose a single active DRIVER?...............Justin Wilson.

Biggest surprise driver of 2008?................Franck Montagny, if he gets the seat at Forsythe.

Biggest shock of 2008? Matos replaces Mutoh after 3 races.

Rogelio
26th February 2008, 17:22
I will be biased toward the IRL, since I have not followed the series and go with Dornbros. He will catch on quickly and he be there in the end when it is all said in done. However, I clearly believe that if Junky were with a better team (Dale Coyne ?) he would certainly challenge for the title. Unfortunately, as we all know, most of the Champ Car teams/drivers will be at a huge disadvantage.

Alexamateo
26th February 2008, 17:35
If I can only pick 1, then it's Tony Kanaan.

Alexamateo
26th February 2008, 17:37

That's not going to happen, if Mutoh is replaced, it will only be by another Japanese Driver.

CHAMPMOM
26th February 2008, 17:41
Robert Doornbos (near and dear to me) and Paul Tracy. Hands down!

ChicagocrewIRL
26th February 2008, 17:43

Gary

PICKING ONE DRIVER ..... TONY KANAAN. NO question

ChicagocrewIRL
26th February 2008, 17:47

Have you seen Mutoh drive ??? He is the real deal. I think of the Japanese drivers that have been in US Open Wheel, only he and Tora Takagi had any real driving talent.

I wasn't really truly impressed with Hideki until I saw the drive he did at Chicagoland in Sep 2007. He showed incredible restraint, raw aggression, skilled driving and decision making, all at the right times during the race and ended up 8th in inferior equipment.

I KNOW you will be eating your words at the end of the season and your obvious bias against Asian drivers will be called out.

keysersoze
26th February 2008, 19:30
Until the CCWS transfers get a few races under their belt, it has to be Dixon, Kanaan, or Castroneves, as Alexmateo said. Wheldon and Brisco are 4th and 5th before we get our first CCWS driver and, all things being equal, it would likely be Junky (does he have a ride?).

Of the top three, it's really a toss-up between Dixon and Kanaan.

Albert D. Kallal
26th February 2008, 19:48
Wow, my first post almagation post on a hight note in which I not bitching!

This could be fun!!!

Simply put, the best driver I seen in years with the most raw talent is Will Power (Watching Graham in Alantics, and then in champ car, he is the real deal, but is too young right now).

The problem is NHL, or Walker are not likely to make the podium this year, or next (the new car will help in 2010).

The question was not who’s going to win a race, but as asked, who in our humble opinions who do we think is the best driver?

To me, that’s easy…it is Will Power. With a team of limited budjets, Will Power was out qualifying, and giving Sebastion a run for the money.
Few toss the car around like Power does. Will power simply outright drives the wheels right off of the car like he stole the car and is running away from the cops.

Zanadri and Montoya also did this type of car tossing, and Power does too. It is rare to see this type of driving in which the car is not really in control as the car starts the complex turn in process into a corner. The car has a period of being in no man’s land where you don’t actually think the car will make the corner. Few, if any drivers do this the way Power does. I seen this a few times...but not many in my many years of watcing racing.

In a word, Power is just gifted and crapping out talent like few, if any driver I ever seen….

I also have a thumbs up for young Rahal, and at 18 years, I can’t remember seeing anyone drive like Rahal at that age.

Experience puts people like Doornbos ahead of the pack, but for just raw hang out your underwear crazy talent, that goes to power.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

bblocker68
26th February 2008, 20:21
Have you seen Mutoh drive ??? He is the real deal. I think of the Japanese drivers that have been in US Open Wheel, only he and Tora Takagi had any real driving talent.

I wasn't really truly impressed with Hideki until I saw the drive he did at Chicagoland in Sep 2007. He showed incredible restraint, raw aggression, skilled driving and decision making, all at the right times during the race and ended up 8th in inferior equipment.

I KNOW you will be eating your words at the end of the season and your obvious bias against Asian drivers will be called out.

Yeah, I remember him from Formula Nippon.

You might wanna think about the remark about my bias.....................my wife is asian, thanks.

Turn-In
26th February 2008, 20:42

This could be fun!!!

Simply put, the best driver I seen in years with the most raw talent is Will Power (Watching Graham in Alantics, and then in champ car, he is the real deal, but is too young right now).

The problem is NHL, or Walker are not likely to make the podium this year, or next (the new car will help in 2010).

The question was not who’s going to win a race, but as asked, who in our humble opinions who do we think is the best driver?

To me, that’s easy…it is Will Power. With a team of limited budjets, Will Power was out qualifying, and giving Sebastion a run for the money.
Few toss the car around like Power does. Will power simply outright drives the wheels right off of the car like he stole the car and is running away from the cops.

Zanadri and Montoya also did this type of car tossing, and Power does too. It is rare to see this type of driving in which the car is not really in control as the car starts the complex turn in process into a corner. The car has a period of being in no man’s land where you don’t actually think the car will make the corner. Few, if any drivers do this the way Power does. I seen this a few times...but not many in my many years of watcing racing.

In a word, Power is just gifted and crapping out talent like few, if any driver I ever seen….

I also have a thumbs up for young Rahal, and at 18 years, I can’t remember seeing anyone drive like Rahal at that age.

Experience puts people like Doornbos ahead of the pack, but for just raw hang out your underwear crazy talent, that goes to power.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Power for sure, add wilson, Rahal, Bobby D, Perrera for ROTY, Montagny on the road courses...of course you could throw Servia in there as well as Bruno. In my mind, if it was still CC, you would have seen any one of those drivers competing for a win every weekend. Lets see how this crew of good drivers does! Especially with some new track learning, new car learning, new staff learning, there are a lot of negatives, but i know these drivers can just drive a car, no matter what is wrong or right and if they are truly good, then we should see some flashes of brilliance!

ChicagocrewIRL
26th February 2008, 20:47
Yeah, I remember him from Formula Nippon.

You might wanna think about the remark about my bias.....................my wife is asian, thanks.

alrighty then..... :)

tbyars
26th February 2008, 22:58

Gary

Gotta agree here, Gary.

Now, ask this question next year this time, and I bet we have a real discussion. I think Wilson is terrific, Bobby D a close second, and I'm really anxious to see what Bruno does when he climbs in the Dallara.

wedge
26th February 2008, 23:00
IRL: TK, Castroneves, Dixon. Wheldon isn't far behind, he loses out a bit because he sucks on road courses.

CC: Wilson and Doornbos are the only guys that stand out a bit but it will be interesting how they'll face the IRL guys

jimispeed
27th February 2008, 00:21
Not many mentioning PT out there.

He was pretty good on the ovals.....

ShiftingGears
27th February 2008, 02:42

This could be fun!!!

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Aye. Watching Will Power in qualifying at Surfers last year was one of the best motorsport moments last year. 100% committed, millimetres away from the wall. Too bad frustration got the better of him in the race.

e2mtt
27th February 2008, 04:03
Scott Dixon.

I think it's his year this year. I don't however, think that the CC incomers are going to be at a disadvantage for long. Doornbas, Wilson, Rahal, etc. will come right up to speed, along with their teams.

I'm looking forward to the 2 big-name youngsters going up against each other. (Graham vs. Marco)

Watkins Glen should be AWESOME this year.

Maybe they can give the cars a little more power or less grip or something to make actually race better.

Cart750hp
27th February 2008, 04:11
Ah, when was the last time we had this kind of thread? Now we're about to talk about racing more than the politics. I like it.

Anyhow, the best driver? I have no clue. Makes me want to watch the race more to find out. But just a wild guess, I would think it's Dan Wheldon or even Tony Kanaan. How so? Well, they are so familiar with the tracks, the system and their cars. I would expect NHR or Forythe to be in on the front of the grid, in road or street courses. But who knows....

Mad_Hatter
27th February 2008, 04:23
Will Power.

Power, Wilson, Rahal(in f. mazda I think), PT, Servia, Tagliani, and Dominguez(if he signs this year) all have raced on ovals before.

Indy500'79
27th February 2008, 04:44
I'd have to say Scott Dixon is the best overall right now.

Give Wilson a year with the Dallara and the ovals and I think he will be right up there.

elan 02
27th February 2008, 04:49
I have never looked at a single IRL web page in all my fan years (54) now the question,best driver Helio. Drawing off his qualifying time and track record at Laguna Seca ,we where there. He was great then and I would guess he his still great.

garyshell
27th February 2008, 04:54
Maybe they can give the cars a little more power or less grip or something to make actually race better.

Less grip. Less grip. Please, oh please, less grip. Several of us have been calling for less reliance on aero grip for a while before the merger in the ChampCar forum. Now that the we are all here, it's time to raise that issue again. I really want to hear an obvious drop in revs as cars enter the corners on ovals, no more 100% throttle. I also want to see a bit of throttle induced oversteer on the road courses.

Please Tony Cottman or whomever is listening, let us see the drivers drive the cars. Let it be OBVIOUS that there is a a driver on board, not a passenger. The IRL has done a better job of promoting the drivers and this would be a step further in that direction.

Gary

AGRfan
27th February 2008, 12:02
Danica is the best and you new CC guys better get ready to hear it at every race from the league.

F1boat
27th February 2008, 19:42
Scott Dixon.

I'm looking forward to the 2 big-name youngsters going up against each other. (Graham vs. Marco)

This deserves its own topic.

PTCrash3
27th February 2008, 20:15
I'd rate the top 3 as Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, and Helio Castroneves. Nobody coming over from Champcar has a significant # of wins except Tracy, who is probably not at his career peak at this point of the game. (although, in combined statistics, he is tied for 7th all-time with Sebastien with 31 wins, and only 3 wins behind Al Unser Jr. for 6th. (plus some here will say that he's in 7th alone with 32 wins ;) , but that's a whole another story :p : ))

You must be kidding? Tracy, Wilson, Rahal, Doornbos, Power, are all better drivers with more real racing experience in teh last 5-7 years. But let's not forget Ed Carpenter and AJ Foyt IV.

PTCrash3
27th February 2008, 20:17
If I can only pick 1, then it's Tony Kanaan.

'giggle' 1 CART win in 7 years, on a fuel strategy? Yup, he's a burner all right...

CHAMPMOM
27th February 2008, 20:25
Danica is the best and you new CC guys better get ready to hear it at every race from the league.

LMAO! Oh Believe ME, we have heard that from every media outlet. What made my head spin was when she finished 5th or something and the MSM went to her 1st instead of the actually winner of the race!

fugariracing
27th February 2008, 20:26
Dixon from IRL, Doornbos over Wilson and Power from CC. Doornbos and Wilson both have F1 exp and Doornbos has a great personality that IRL should market the heck out of.