40 DARIO FRANCHITTI
17 MATT KENSETH
45 KYLE PETTY
01 REGAN SMITH
22 DAVE BLANEY
5 CASEY MEARS
24 JEFF GORDON
6 DAVID RAGAN

GOGH cars that would make field if qualifing was rained out: (doesn't look like rain though)
2 KURT BUSCH
44 DALE JARRETT
21 BILL ELLIOTT
83 BRIAN VICKERS
00 DAVID REUTIMANN
55 MICHAEL WALTRIP
78 JOE NEMECHEK
34 JOHN ANDRETTI

GOGH cars that would miss field if qualifing was rained out:
10 PATRICK CARPENTIER
84 AJ ALLMENDINGER
27 MIKE SKINNER (in for JV)
49 KEN SCHRADER
08 BURNEY LAMAR

BobbyC
26th February 2008, 12:36
Some storylines:

1. Chevrolet struggles. Last year, the Bowtie Brigade dominated the Fox portion, winning 12 of 13. They have been 0-6 in the win column in the national series. Dodge and Ford have a win each, and Toyota is 2-0 in the two lower series. Is this going to be a long year for RCR, DEI, and Hendrick? It seems that way. They're last in manufacturer points too. Toyota is the only brand with a car in the top-five each race.

2. How strong are the Toyotas? After going 2 for 3 in their home track (Torrance is nearby), how will this Western Swing end? Is this the place for a Toyota win?

3. Roush Resurgence. It seems the Roush boys are back with dominance. These intermediate tracks are their bread and butter.

4. Only 400 miles. The engines weren't an issue surprisingly at Fontana Monday. Shorter races will mean a difference. NASCAR may have to consider eliminating the gear rule to save engines.

Lee Roy
26th February 2008, 20:01
4. Only 400 miles. The engines weren't an issue surprisingly at Fontana Monday. Shorter races will mean a difference. NASCAR may have to consider eliminating the gear rule to save engines.

I thought the gear rule helped to save engines by reducing revs?

RaikkonenRules
27th February 2008, 21:05
Johnny Sauter will now run the #21. It was going to be Jon Wood but he stepped aside because he felt he didn't have enought experience in the CoT.

Racin' Rob
27th February 2008, 21:39
I gotta laugh at the Wood Bros. They take Schrader out because they were not making racing and put in Elliott. Then when he doesn't make races and is unable to use his past champions provisional as someone else is using it, they put someone else in the car.

When will they finally figure it out - it's not a driver problem but a car problem. Either body, chassis or power train or a combination of the three. Seeing the CoT has a standard body and very very little room for changing anything, that leaves the chassis and engine.

Jonesi
29th February 2008, 22:02
Fastest cars in practice:
Kyle Busch, J Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, Ruetimann,
DE Jr, Edwards, Kayne, Kurt Busch, Mayfield.

Jonesi
1st March 2008, 01:34
Starting Grid
18 KYLE BUSCH
99 CARL EDWARDS
8 MARK MARTIN
24 JEFF GORDON
27 MIKE SKINNER
16 GREG BIFFLE
66 SCOTT RIGGS
88 DALE EARNHARDT JR
2 KURT BUSCH
19 ELLIOTT SADLER
--
5 CASEY MEARS
10 PATRICK CARPENTIER
17 MATT KENSETH
00 DAVID REUTIMANN
12 RYAN NEWMAN
44 DALE JARRETT
29 KEVIN HARVICK
1 MARTIN TRUEX JR
49 KEN SCHRADER
77 SAM HORNISH JR
--
07 CLINT BOWYER
55 MICHAEL WALTRIP
83 BRIAN VICKERS
70 JEREMY MAYFIELD
31 JEFF BURTON
20 TONY STEWART
22 DAVE BLANEY
11 DENNY HAMLIN
01 REGAN SMITH
28 TRAVIS KVAPIL
--
96 J.J. YELEY
42 JUAN MONTOYA
7 ROBBY GORDON
48 JIMMIE JOHNSON
38 DAVID GILLILAND
41 REED SORENSON
26 JAMIE McMURRAY
9 KASEY KAHNE
6 DAVID RAGAN
43 BOBBY LABONTE
--
15 PAUL MENARD
45 KYLE PETTY
40 DARIO FRANCHITTI

Did Not Qualify:
84 AJ ALLMENDINGER
78 JOE NEMECHEK
34 JOHN ANDRETTI
21 JOHNNY SAUTER

RaceFanStan
1st March 2008, 03:23
Drivers in the “make it on speed or go home gang” that had enough speed
5th Mike Skinner #27 Toyota
9th Kurt Busch #2 Dodge
12th Patrick Carpentier #10 Dodge
14th David Reutimann #00 Toyota
15th Dale Jarrett #44 Toyota
18th Ken Schrader #49 Dodge
21st Michael Waltrip #55 Toyota
43rd Brian Vickers #83 Toyota

Cole_Trickle
1st March 2008, 17:08
I gotta laugh at the Wood Bros. They take Schrader out because they were not making racing and put in Elliott. Then when he doesn't make races and is unable to use his past champions provisional as someone else is using it, they put someone else in the car.

When will they finally figure it out - it's not a driver problem but a car problem. Either body, chassis or power train or a combination of the three. Seeing the CoT has a standard body and very very little room for changing anything, that leaves the chassis and engine.

Elliott had other commitments, and never planned to run this race apparantly, shame, because he would have made it in with the past champs provisional since Jarrett and Busch didn't use it.

RaceFanStan
1st March 2008, 17:29
Bobby Labonte & Juan Montoya were forced to go to backup cars after crashes in practice.
Kasey Kahne & Sam Hornish Jr needed body repairs after scraping the wall.
Reed Sorenson & Patrick Carpentier spun but avoided any contact.
In qualifying, Johnny Sauter snapped loose, crashed into the wall & went home.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/29/lasvegas.dodge.practice.crashes/index.html

RaikkonenRules
1st March 2008, 20:32
Allmendinger fails to make the show again despite being quicker than a few of the locked in cars.

RaikkonenRules
2nd March 2008, 00:55
Gotta love that Nationwide race. Most of the Cupper's crashed. ha :D

call_me_andrew
2nd March 2008, 21:58
What is the purpose of this lap 10 caution? It's just like Bowyer (I think it was Bowyer) spun at Daytona this year. Unless someone's about to go head first into a pack of cars, or has thown debris from a large crash all over the track, then there is no good reason to thow the caution.

Jonesi
2nd March 2008, 22:01
I thought they finally realized Ruetimann had dropped debris on the track.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 22:22
Caution was for McMurray going through the infield.

call_me_andrew
2nd March 2008, 22:26
Which was dumb because he wasn't going to hurt anything but himself in the infield. It's a victimless caution.

Keeping the race green after Hornish's crash was a good idea though.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 22:30
Which was dumb because he wasn't going to hurt anything but himself in the infield. It's a victimless caution.

Keeping the race green after Hornish's crash was a good idea though.

If he didn't have a chance to get down to the apron it should've been thrown but he got down there.

2nd caution...no reason given why yet by Fox...41 the lucky dog.

call_me_andrew
2nd March 2008, 22:32
"Debris in turn 2"

Even the debris cautions for REAL debris are too panicky though. Unless there's jagged metal in the racing line itself, don't thow the caution.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 22:42
"Debris in turn 2"

Even the debris cautions for REAL debris are too panicky though. Unless there's jagged metal in the racing line itself, don't thow the caution.

Appears that this one was a header from a car or possibly exhaust. That's valid.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 22:57
20 in the wall...caution is out.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 23:06
Restart at lap 115

1) Kyle Busch
2) Kenseth
3) J Gordon
4) Burton
5) Joonyer

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 23:21
Robby Gordon in wall...caution is out.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 23:52
10 in the wall...caution 6.

dont_be_jack
2nd March 2008, 23:55
85 to go...

1) Joonyer
2) Harvick
3) Edwards
4) Truex
5) Schrader

dont_be_jack
3rd March 2008, 00:18
47 to go

1) Kenseth
2) Joonyer
3) Edwards
4) J Gordon
5) Harvick

Smilieangel489
3rd March 2008, 00:55
Wow.

dont_be_jack
3rd March 2008, 01:12
Wow.

Yea, huge. I don't think I've seen a car get destroyed like that since '90 Bristol.

dont_be_jack
3rd March 2008, 01:16
1) Edwards
2) Joonyer
3) Biffle
4) Harvick
5) Burton
6) Ragan
7) Kahne
8) Kvapil
9) Hamlin
10) Martin

2 in a row for Edwards and we're going to Atlanta next week which he's good at as well.

Just heard Jeff Gordon rip Bruton Smith a bit about how that gap should be closed and SAFER barrier put in on the inside wall. I completely agree.

harvick#1
3rd March 2008, 01:23
how about those RCR boys, under the radar maybe :D

don't feel too bad MD and Muggle, Jeffy Poo was ok

great job by Ragan and Kvapil on the top 10 runs

muggle not
3rd March 2008, 02:08
Jeff took a heck of a hard hit. Glad to see Jr come in 2nd and finish ahead of Harvick. :)
Where did shrub finally finish.

dont_be_jack
3rd March 2008, 02:14
Jeff took a heck of a hard hit. Glad to see Jr come in 2nd and finish ahead of Harvick. :)
Where did shrub finally finish.

11th. He's going to give Toyota their first win one day.

Points coming out of Las Vegas:
1) #99-Carl Edwards 491
2) #18-Kyle Busch 470 -21
3) #12-Ryan Newman 450 -41
4) #9-Kasey Kahne 440 -51
5) #29-Kevin Harvick 428 -63
6) #16-Greg Biffle 427 -64
7) #31-Jeff Burton 421 -70
8) #1-Martin Truex Jr. 371 -120
9) #19-Elliott Sadler 368 -123
10) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. 361 -130
11) #20-Tony Stewart 355 -136
12) #2-Kurt Busch 348 -143

MD24
3rd March 2008, 03:29
don't feel too bad MD and Muggle, Jeffy Poo was ok

I missed the end of the race, what happened to Gordon?

harvick#1
3rd March 2008, 03:49
Jooyner wheel spun causing Gordon and Kenseth to split.

Gordon was low, Kenseth high, and Gordon just barely clipped Kenseth's rear quarter panal causing Kenseth to spin out, and Gordon lost it trying to avoid Kenseth and smacked the inside wall hard headon

also

reports saying Edwards failed postrace inspection, so theres 100 points down the drain

NickFalzone
3rd March 2008, 03:51
they just posted on nascar.com that the 99 had oil lid missing on post race inspection. Probably won't cost him the win, but could drop him in pts, enough to keep 18 at #1.

NickFalzone
3rd March 2008, 03:52

Gordon was low, Kenseth high, and Gordon just barely clipped Kenseth's rear quarter panal causing Kenseth to spin out, and Gordon lost it trying to avoid Kenseth and smacked the inside wall hard headon

also

reports saying Edwards failed postrace inspection, so theres 100 points down the drain

how do you know it's 100 pts? I think they're going to determine amt later this week. Kind of funny tho, if it was robby who won the race you can bet it would be a more drastic fine. They hate that guy.

harvick#1
3rd March 2008, 03:55
because that has been all the point penalties Nascar has given out with the car

muggle not
3rd March 2008, 03:58
If he doesn't get 100 ppint penalty then they really screwed robby. Chit, they screwed Robby anyhow.

dont_be_jack
3rd March 2008, 04:06
If he doesn't get 100 ppint penalty then they really screwed robby. Chit, they screwed Robby anyhow.

The appeal is to be heard this week. From what I have heard, the two noses each had the same part number so this was a screw up on Dodge's part and not Robby's but I'm willing to bet NASCAR will keep the penalty because they'll claim that Robby could've looked at other Dodge cars or asked before he put it on.

call_me_andrew
3rd March 2008, 05:01
Keeping the penalty isn't NASCAR's decision to make. It goes to the National Stock Car Racing Commission.

dont_be_jack
3rd March 2008, 09:47
Keeping the penalty isn't NASCAR's decision to make. It goes to the National Stock Car Racing Commission.

Which is traditionally viewed as being a bit of a puppet when it comes to these things.

Lee Roy
3rd March 2008, 14:40

also

The precedent for this violation is 25 point.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#race

#99 Fails post race inspection at Las Vegas: been told the oil tank lid was not secured on the winning #99 Ford of Carl Edward's and found during post race inspection at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The car failed post race inspection and will keep the win, but will face points penalties and a fine. NASCAR usually announces penalties late Tuesday afternoons.(3-2-2008)
MORE: The #99 car had a problem in the postrace inspection. The lid of the oil tank reservoir was off, so NASCAR officials are taking the car to the Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C. Any possible penalties would come later this week, probably Tuesday. Five Nationwide Series teams were penalized for a similar violation at Daytona.(ESPN.com)....the rule...the oil reservoir tank cover was not fastened securely, the five teams were penalized with the loss of 25 driver and owner championship points.(Jayski's Past NNS News page)(3-3-2008)

harvick#1
3rd March 2008, 15:28
this was a great article following that camera man.

http://www.thatsracin.com/news/story/11784.html

REAR-VIEW MIRROR
• In light of the penalty he got at Daytona, Robby Gordon's team is supposed to be responsible for everything on its car, even an unapproved nose supplied by mistake by Dodge. But Carl Edwards' team isn't responsible for who's in its pit stall?
Yes, a cameraman got in the way of the crew member who was responsible for controlling a tire that rolled across pit road. But if it's all about responsibility for Gordon's team, why isn't it also about responsibility for Edwards' team?

Lee Roy
3rd March 2008, 15:42
Yes, a cameraman got in the way of the crew member who was responsible for controlling a tire that rolled across pit road. But if it's all about responsibility for Gordon's team, why isn't it also about responsibility for Edwards' team?

Pretty simple really. NASCAR put the photographer in Edwards' pit. Robby put the nose on his car.

But, I still think the extenuating circumstances concerning the nose on Robby's car should be taken into consideration. I'll be disappointed on Wednesday if they don't overturn or drastically reduce Robby's penalty.

muggle not
3rd March 2008, 16:23
The team is responsible to make sure that no one is in the way of the crew performing their jobs. Nascar does not direct cameramen to a position to interfere with the crew.

harvick#1
3rd March 2008, 19:24
The team is responsible to make sure that no one is in the way of the crew performing their jobs. Nascar does not direct cameramen to a position to interfere with the crew.

completely agree.

its Roushs fault and Carl CC to keep the camera away from the pit wall for his guys to go to work. sorry but it happens, he should've been sent to the back of the longest line. the tire catcher should've moved the camera man away even before Carl got to the pit stall

Lee Roy
3rd March 2008, 19:38
completely agree.

its Roushs fault and Carl CC to keep the camera away from the pit wall for his guys to go to work. sorry but it happens, he should've been sent to the back of the longest line. the tire catcher should've moved the camera man away even before Carl got to the pit stall

If you saw the pit stop, the photographer just suddenly appeared. The tire catcher didn't even know the guy was going to appear.

I really can't believe I'm participating in this conversation. If NASCAR had penalized Edwards for something that an errant NASCAR photographer did, people here would be screaming bloody murder. :rolleyes:

muggle not
3rd March 2008, 22:25
If you saw the pit stop, the photographer just suddenly appeared. The tire catcher didn't even know the guy was going to appear.

I really can't believe I'm participating in this conversation. If NASCAR had penalized Edwards for something that an errant NASCAR photographer did, people here would be screaming bloody murder. :rolleyes:
LOL, it is easy to get caught up in a discussion. ;)

Another thought, if the cameraman was behind the wall and got hit it should have been an automatic penalty.