PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman

colinspooky
25th February 2008, 20:39
Just wondered.

In the old days, it used to be the Winston Cup, and then NEXTEL, and now Sprint.

It used to be Busch and now Nationwide.

And we all refer to the class of races by the sponsor name.

So why does everyone still call them truck races and not something like: "Hey, did you see the Craftsman race?"

We just say: "Hey, did you see the truck race?"

Wasn't Craftsman going to pull their sponsorship? Can't say I blame them, all those years, and still we don't mention them much by name.

:rolleyes:

Rapier Racer
25th February 2008, 21:05
Hmmm don't know. Maybe because Sprint and Nationwide series both use cars? No? I don't know lol

tstran17_88
26th February 2008, 02:10
I've always referred to the truck series as the CTS. This is the last year that Sears will be sponsoring the truck series.

I've always called the Sprint Cup cars just the 'Cup Series', even back when RJ Reynolds was the corporate sponsor of the series.

And I've always referred to the Busch Series as just that. I still call it that and then correct myself and call it the Nationwide Series.

colinspooky
26th February 2008, 09:20
I suppose Busch stuck becausae it's easier than saying something like "oh yes, those second division cars" or "yes, the ones down from Cup cars". Just simpler I guess. Still frustrating for Craftsman. Even CTS avoids saying Craftsman.

And anyone else think Nationwide with three syllables sounds more cumbersome than the single syllable Busch?

blakebeatty
26th February 2008, 17:27
It has to be the syllable thing, Cup, Busch, Truck, each one syllable. We need to keep these references simple while enjoying a race with a malted beverage.

I wouldn't be shocked if certain members of this board still use the term 'Grand National Series'

Nick Brad
26th February 2008, 18:17
It has to be the syllable thing, Cup, Busch, Truck, each one syllable. We need to keep these references simple while enjoying a race with a malted beverage.

I wouldn't be shocked if certain members of this board still use the term 'Grand National Series'

Grand National, that's a big horse race to us over this side of the pond. :laugh:

ms0362
4th March 2008, 18:33
I agree with the one syllable thing. "Nationwide" doesn't work. The same for "Craftsman" I just wish they develop a true name for each series less the sponsor name. I don't like plugging the sponsor all the time. I refuse to use sponsor names for tracks. Lowe's is still Charlotte to me. Infinion is still Sonoma.

tstran17_88
4th March 2008, 18:55
It took me a few years to refer to Charlotte as Lowe's and Sears Point as Infineon, but that's what I call them now. I'll eventually call California "Auto Club" once it gets beaten into my head. :arrows: