PDA

View Full Version : Dallaras at Long Beach ..... ?

ChicagocrewIRL
24th February 2008, 00:30
Can someone please tell me why they won't be running Dallaras at the Long Beach Grand Prix ? Seems like even though they are going through with this idiotic split date for the April 19 and 20 weekend, I think it would make more sense to run the Dallaras and not the Panoz. The new IRL teams would already have Homestead and St. Petersburg under their belts in the new cars. Seems awfully silly. Is there some sort of contractual obligation to run the DP01 ? I just don't get it.

FormerFF
24th February 2008, 00:34
I don't think we'll know anything until the press conference Wednesday. I'm treating everything I hear until then as speculation.

ChicagocrewIRL
24th February 2008, 00:43
True, I guess there hasn't really been a decision one way or the other as to what chassis they will run at LB. I guess I read too much into the news stories. I really hope they will come to their senses.

Helicon_One
24th February 2008, 00:58
Why would ANY of the CC teams show up at Long Beach in their DP01s? They're going to want as much experience as they can get with the Indycar chassis and engine and oval setups, why lose a weekend of learning with cars that are about to be sidelined?

I'm predicting that all the serious CC teams will be in Motegi that weekend and all we'll have left at Long Beach will be those teams that aren't going to the IRL anyway.

Chris R
24th February 2008, 02:53
I can't imagine that with a signed merger contract that reason will not prevail and they will find some way to avoid this stupid split race weekend plan - if both series had car count problems before I cannot see how either race will have a full field.....

also, if they do run two races - why would the CC teams go to Motegi - if it i the same points either way I would go where I expect the least number of cars..... better chance of scoring points.....

If they do split it, I am guessing that they will roll out ALL of the DP-01s and have ALMS drivers and teams running some cars too - something to bulk the field up since the car will be big paperweights after the race....

Albert D. Kallal
24th February 2008, 10:03
They can’t run the dallers at both. You do realize that there is TRUCKLOADS of engines, electronics, and a gaggle of personal that go along for the ride to each race to issue, and maintain those engine packages to the teams.

You can’t really split that personal over two events, and they don’t have the resources in place to run two events, let alone the custom storage trucks etc. that holds all that equipment.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Andrewmcm
24th February 2008, 11:22
They can’t run the dallers at both. You do realize that there is TRUCKLOADS of engines, electronics, and a gaggle of personal that go along for the ride to each race to issue, and maintain those engine packages to the teams.

You can’t really split that personal over two events, and they don’t have the resources in place to run two events, let alone the custom storage trucks etc. that holds all that equipment.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

How do you know?

beachbum
24th February 2008, 15:45
On a "fly away" race like Montegi, the teams and support groups are limited in what they can take as far as size and weight. According to reports over the years, it isn't uncommon for teams to share parts if needed. They don't take truck loads of parts to Montegi, just a couple 747's.

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=6319

jarrambide
24th February 2008, 15:48
How do you know?

Common Sense?

Hoop-98
24th February 2008, 16:21
There appears to be a linkage between running at LBGP and getting your Dallaras. Somethinng like you get 2 Dallaras for running in the LBGP.

rumor only

rh

jarrambide
24th February 2008, 17:27
There appears to be a linkage between running at LBGP and getting your Dallaras. Somethinng like you get 2 Dallaras for running in the LBGP.

rumor only

rh

You get as in you get the right to buy 2 or you get as in pay me 10 bucks and will call it even?

Hoop-98
24th February 2008, 17:41
Not sure, sounds closer to get, than get to buy....

The IRL has offered any team, Champ Car or otherwise, that commits to its full season a package that includes Honda engines, chassis and $1.2 million. Tadevic said that offer has been adjusted for existing Champ Car teams that enter the Long Beach Grand Prix, which is the same weekend as the IRL race in Twin Ring Motegi in Japan.

rh

jarrambide
24th February 2008, 17:46
Not sure, sounds closer to get, than get to buy....

The IRL has offered any team, Champ Car or otherwise, that commits to its full season a package that includes Honda engines, chassis and $1.2 million. Tadevic said that offer has been adjusted for existing Champ Car teams that enter the Long Beach Grand Prix, which is the same weekend as the IRL race in Twin Ring Motegi in Japan.

rh
And if they give them the same amount of points as the teams in Motegi as rumored, then you are not out of the championship race from the beginning. It makes sense, they have to run LB because of the contract and they surely want to have a real race there for many or a few years to come, you don´t want to make anyone angry, since you have Motegi this sounds as the best way to do it.

eman resu
24th February 2008, 18:35
Just speculating here:

It would make sense to run the Dallara and give the teams moving over an extra race to get up to speed on set up.

But, if only some teams move to the IRL and they run the Dallara there may only be 8-10 cars on the grid. If they run the Panoz they can probably pay teams which may not move over like (speculating here) Rocktsports and Coyne or teams which historically ran two cars and now only plan to run one to run the Long Beach or run an extra car. The IRL could also purchase the Panoz chasis from teams who do not switch and have the teams that participate run them in order to get 16-18 cars on the grid.

It will probably be sold as a last "Hurrah" for Champcar and a last chance for its loyal fans to come and say goodbye. If anyone would buy that tripe is another story. Of coarse none of this has ever been about the fans.

Mad_Hatter
24th February 2008, 19:50
A poster on another suggests scrapping the motegi race altogether for 2008. This would be a better solution although It takes an oval away from the schedule.

BenRoethig
24th February 2008, 20:01
A poster on another suggests scrapping the motegi race altogether for 2008. This would be a better solution although It takes an oval away from the schedule.

I wouldn't mind it except for it being a condition of Honda being an engine supplier. That Being said, if Cosworth and Ilmor were to find domestic manufacturers to badge their engines in a future engine formula, I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see them go.