PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Trucks to Support DTM in August

Abo
21st February 2008, 14:11
I've just seen the Pickup newsletter and an announcement has been made that Pickups will be supporting the DTM at Brands Hatch in August!

hicksy
21st February 2008, 14:44
Yippeeeee. I cant wait.

Marc W
21st February 2008, 15:32
Sadly I'll be missing this due to the stupid decision to run this the same weekend as a BTCC event. :( I am thinking of popping down on the Friday though.

Yung
21st February 2008, 20:04
Where?
When?
Why?
How?
Really?
Sure?

Nick Brad
21st February 2008, 21:17
I'll be missing this due to hating that track with a passion, not even the DTM can draw me in. Shame they're not at the Donington meeting instead, I'll be at that one and I'm sure Scott would join me with the demise of Champ Car's european dates.

Dave17
22nd February 2008, 09:26
Bad news I fear. DTM rule the meeting with an iron fist. Marshals were MADE to stay on post after the Saturday activities whilst a few VIP's are given track rides. Last years supporting race, the Lotus Elise, were very harshly treated. After a startline pile up, instead of stopping and restarting the race which would be normal practice for the series they spent the next 8 laps of the 12 lap race behind the pace car! Reason given-if stopped it would have eaten into the DTM free practice. (They had SIX hours of practice for a ONE hour race!!!)

I swore after last years race I would never do a DTM round again.

JovialJooles
22nd February 2008, 09:59
Interesting. Having heard that I will have to think long and hard about volunteering! :)

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:05
If its got breasts or an engine, its gonna cost you...

Pray they don't invent something with both...!

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:06
I've just seen the Pickup newsletter and an announcement has been made that Pickups will be supporting the DTM at Brands Hatch in August!

Excellent news. Last year they had the sidecars which were great to watch and photograph. Hopefully the pickups will be just as good to watch - always look forward to having something different.

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:10
Sadly I'll be missing this due to the stupid decision to run this the same weekend as a BTCC event. :( I am thinking of popping down on the Friday though.

Yes its a real pain in the posterior. It was the DTM's fault because they booked it knowing the BTCC were running on the same day. A no-brainer though - I will be going to catch the DTM and sacrifice the BTCC because I will have plenty of other opportunities to catch the BTCC, plus Silverstone isnt my favourite circuit for viewing or photography.

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:13
I'll be missing this due to hating that track with a passion, not even the DTM can draw me in. Shame they're not at the Donington meeting instead, I'll be at that one and I'm sure Scott would join me with the demise of Champ Car's european dates.

Sorry Nick but Brands is my fave track - I've been to Brands, Snetterton, Silverstone, Rockingham and Thruxton and Brands is my favourite track, in fact I wish I lived nearer!

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:22
Bad news I fear. DTM rule the meeting with an iron fist. Marshals were MADE to stay on post after the Saturday activities whilst a few VIP's are given track rides. Last years supporting race, the Lotus Elise, were very harshly treated. After a startline pile up, instead of stopping and restarting the race which would be normal practice for the series they spent the next 8 laps of the 12 lap race behind the pace car! Reason given-if stopped it would have eaten into the DTM free practice. (They had SIX hours of practice for a ONE hour race!!!)

I swore after last years race I would never do a DTM round again.

Its a shame that things like that happen, they spoil (for some people) what can otherwise be excellent weekends, and put people off for future events.

Abo
22nd February 2008, 10:53

Nick, why the downer on Brands?

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:56

I guess he's entitled to his own opinions, but I'd be interested to know why too!

briggs'mechanic
22nd February 2008, 12:05
I can't wait I'm getting all excited wish it was august already and its Brands which is one of my favourite circuits, Talking of which the number 2 truck will be there on the 27th Testing...

BeeJ_UK
22nd February 2008, 13:40
Tend to agree with Dave 17 and Nick. I have volunteered for for BTCC @ Silverstone instead that weekend. Went to DTM for 06 and swore I would never go back again.

JovialJooles
22nd February 2008, 14:56
thompp, if you click on the button to the right of the quote button (multi quote) for all the posts you want to comment on, and then click on the quote button on the last post you want to quote, all of the quotes will appear in one. That may save you some time when you are quoting lots of posts. :)

Bests

Julian

Abo
22nd February 2008, 15:28
thompp, if you click on the button to the right of the quote button (multi quote) for all the posts you want to comment on, and then click on the quote button on the last post you want to quote, all of the quotes will appear in one. That may save you some time when you are quoting lots of posts. :)

Bests

Julian

Nice one, I never knew about that!

Abo
22nd February 2008, 15:29
Pray they don't invent something with both...!

Excellent news. Last year they had the sidecars which were great to watch and photograph. Hopefully the pickups will be just as good to watch - always look forward to having something different.

Yes its a real pain in the posterior. It was the DTM's fault because they booked it knowing the BTCC were running on the same day. A no-brainer though - I will be going to catch the DTM and sacrifice the BTCC because I will have plenty of other opportunities to catch the BTCC, plus Silverstone isnt my favourite circuit for viewing or photography.

Sorry Nick but Brands is my fave track - I've been to Brands, Snetterton, Silverstone, Rockingham and Thruxton and Brands is my favourite track, in fact I wish I lived nearer!

Its a shame that things like that happen, they spoil (for some people) what can otherwise be excellent weekends, and put people off for future events.

I guess he's entitled to his own opinions, but I'd be interested to know why too!

It works!!! :vader:

JovialJooles
22nd February 2008, 15:40

Bests

Julian

Yep, and you can type

Nice one, I never knew about that!

in between the quotes... ;)

Abo
22nd February 2008, 15:48
Yep, and you can type

in between the quotes... ;)

Anyway, stop hijacking my DTM thread and get back to moderating! <thwap!> ;)

JovialJooles
22nd February 2008, 16:40
Anyway, stop hijacking my DTM thread and get back to moderating! <thwap!> ;)

He He :wave:

Nick Brad
22nd February 2008, 20:51

It stems back to the previous visit we made there, trying to push a truck backwards and forwards between the outer paddock and pitlane, struggling to find somewhere level to set the truck up, having to drag the pit cart between those two points, nowhere to set up even my small tent, overpriced drinks in the bar, a concorde nosed ex ASCAR driver drinking himself into a stupor although he had an ETCC race the following day and almost getting into a fight with Rich in the process.........

Is that enough reasons, or should I continue ;)

The only upsides to the meeting was being able to hoon down the A1 and round the M25 early on a saturday morning and being able to meet, (albeit breifly,) Jeff Carter whilst he was trying to drum up ticket sales for ASCAR.

briggs'mechanic
22nd February 2008, 21:42
a concorde nosed ex ASCAR driver drinking himself into a stupor although he had an ETCC race the following day and almost getting into a fight with Rich in the process.........

NICK I know who your talking about and he was a ............. I can't say I don't wanna get banned but pm me and I'll tell you how we got him back you'll love it..........

Reynard
22nd February 2008, 22:02
Welllllllll, with such a big hooter, everyone can put two and two together and come up with................... ;)

I haven't been to Brands in about six years - scary, huh? I remember quite liking the place, but the Rock and Snet are more my samovar of tea.

Dave17
23rd February 2008, 08:01

IIRC the sidecars followed the DTM round. The Pickups will be taking the place of the Lotus's (Loti?) race-the ones that were pi$$ed about with, treated as the lowest of the low etc.

Abo
23rd February 2008, 08:38
It stems back to the previous visit we made there, trying to push a truck backwards and forwards between the outer paddock and pitlane, struggling to find somewhere level to set the truck up, having to drag the pit cart between those two points, nowhere to set up even my small tent, overpriced drinks in the bar, a concorde nosed ex ASCAR driver drinking himself into a stupor although he had an ETCC race the following day and almost getting into a fight with Rich in the process.........

Is that enough reasons, or should I continue ;)

Ah yeah, I forgot you were there for that round... IIRC I was down with the family and stayed in a hotel instead of the paddock so I missed the whole Plato thing, shame really lol

Was that when you guys had the gearbox out, or was that the following meeting? :(

Nick Brad
24th February 2008, 19:59
Nah, gearbox was Rockingham IIRC.

thompp
25th February 2008, 13:34
IIRC the sidecars followed the DTM round. The Pickups will be taking the place of the Lotus's (Loti?) race-the ones that were pi$$ed about with, treated as the lowest of the low etc.

So does that mean the pickups will get the same treatment this year..?

racing59
25th February 2008, 14:42
It'll probably end up being worse!

Abo
25th February 2008, 14:49
It'll probably end up being worse!

Racewise, if the trucks can get through the first couple of laps without any calamaties then it should go smoothly I reckon.

As for the timeslot being pissed about with, that's anyone's guess...