PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Indy 500 ever?

ShiftingGears
21st February 2008, 07:38
Interested to hear your opinions on this :)

F1boat
21st February 2008, 07:45
I follow the 500 only since 1998 and I liked most the victory of Hornish jr. against Marco, although I would have liked Marco to win.

Ranger
21st February 2008, 08:44
Based on the last few laps, the 1982 '500 looked pretty good.

Jonesi
21st February 2008, 08:47
Based on the last few laps, the 1982 '500 looked pretty good.

Certainly a worthy choice. For me it would be '86 with the closest 1,2,3.

EagleEye
21st February 2008, 18:47
1989, still rankes as one of the best. No prisoners at 200 mph!

1882 was a classic, as was 1992, though the wrecks were a bit much.

1995, the last true 500, was exciting with all the different people who led at one point.

1986 was another good one.

As for those since 1996, I'm not entirely impressed, though Brack's win in '99 over Robby Gordon was pretty thrilling.

2008, might be one of the best yet, however!!

Chris R
21st February 2008, 20:24
1982, 1989, and 1992 were all very good. 2006 was pretty good. Can't really say about older ones....

SFChamp
22nd February 2008, 01:27
Who Cares!!!
The 500 now a Joke

keysersoze
22nd February 2008, 02:06
Who Cares!!!
The 500 now a Joke

It's the most coveted racing title in the world. Name another race that carries more cache.

The Indy 500 claims the largest single-day attendance of any motorsports event.

I'd say those two reasons alone indicate many people care.

And you are on the wrong forum. IMO.

!!WALDO!!
22nd February 2008, 03:42
As a historian of the sport one must look at many things.

Greatest Starting Field: 1967
Most Competitive: 1993 with 10 cars on the lead lap.
Closest race: 2006

One race is tough to pick. I get a kick out of those who talk of field fillers in the 500 field. Like Loras Corum, George Souders, Louis Schneider, Kelly Petiillo, Floyd Roberts, Floyd Davis and George Robson. All field fillers that found their way onto the Borg-Warner Trophy as serving as Field Filler.

This race was the thing dreams were made from. Win Indy and your life was made. Oh yes like Ray Keech that enjoyed his Crown for 16 days in 1929. Nope, more dreams were dashed than made. If your dream comes true is it better or worse.
"The day I win the 500 is the last race I will drive." Eddie Sachs, yet when Victory was in his grasp, he elected to stop and lost the 1961 race. Had he not stopped he would not have been in the flaming mess of 1964.

So who was the greatest driver my bet would have been Bill Holland on any given May 30th.

Greatest race, I would fall back to 1993 as it was the second greatest starting field and kept the fans on the edge of their seat until Emerson Fittipaldi drank Orange Juice and saw his whole life changed.

The Old Lady takes care of those that follows her traditions and crushes those that do not.

DanicaFan
22nd February 2008, 06:24
No doubt the best was in 2005, when Danica led that race for 19 laps !

ShiftingGears
22nd February 2008, 08:42
Who Cares!!!
The 500 now a Joke

Does this mean we also can't talk about Champ Car, because it almost certainly won't exist anymore?

ShiftingGears
22nd February 2008, 08:44
Also, Gordon Johncock holding off Mears in the superior car in 1982 was thrilling.

JasonD
22nd February 2008, 15:46
1995 - Jacques Villeneuve, comes from 2 laps down to win it.

fan-veteran
22nd February 2008, 15:48
Maybe 2005 and 2006.

bennybigb
22nd February 2008, 17:17
I would say the most important Indy 500 was 1996. Only because it was the begining of the end. Now nobody cares, Indy Car racing and the 500 are dead.

wedge
22nd February 2008, 21:31
1995 - Jacques Villeneuve, comes from 2 laps down to win it.

Slight anti-climax to the finish since Scott Goodyear suffered premature ejaculation when he blasted past the pace car to soon. We were robbed of a grandstand finish and no doubt JV would've won that race.

Ruben Barrios
22nd February 2008, 23:17
2008!

DRC
23rd February 2008, 00:40
2008!

+1. Maybe not the greatest ever, but the cheers this year will be louder than any in recent history. How cool will that be? :)

ShiftingGears
23rd February 2008, 01:34
2008!

Bloody hope so!

No point in you guys being pessimistic about the new series...I just hope after everythings resolved we can see parts of Champ Car return, such as the several excellent road courses. And the engines.

Wraith
24th February 2008, 01:26

nanders
24th February 2008, 02:16
1991 Mears and Andretti outside passing duel ... sweet ...

coogmaster
24th February 2008, 05:17
Best driver of all time: Bill Vukovich

Best 500 roadster era: 1960, Rathmann vs Ward and 1961 Foyt vs Sachs

Best 500 modern era: 1989 Emmo vs Little Al

Colin
25th February 2008, 04:51
1991 Mears and Andretti outside passing duel ... sweet ...

Ditto on that one! A close second would be Emmo and Little Al.

Mark
25th February 2008, 09:53
It's the most coveted racing title in the world. Name another race that carries more cache.

The Le Mans 24 Hours.

V12
25th February 2008, 14:33
The first one I watched was in 1993 so I can only comment from then onwards. I'd be tempted to pick '93 itself but that's probably me being biased because of Mansell's rookie performance and the drama of being denied right at the death. I'd say from a completely neutral perspective 1995 shaded it, with so many stories, Penske's DNQ, Menard's domination of qualifying and disappointing race day performance, Villeneuve coming from two laps down to win it and the controversy with Goodyear right at the end. There were no British drivers in the field that year and to this day it is probably the most enjoyable race I have watched in which I have had nobody to root for!

garyshell
25th February 2008, 15:53

Three points:

To answer your first question, the 24 of Le Mans and (sadly) the Daytona 500.[/*:m:wj65f1ic]
Re: the wrong forum. Sorry to tell you, but there is now only ONE forum.[/*:m:wj65f1ic]
To the OP: The best two for me were Danny Sullivan's spin and win and the Emmo Little Al duel. Seeing Little Al at the side of the road giving Emmo the thumbs up instead of a finger should go down as one of the "most sportsman like" events in racing history.[/*:m:wj65f1ic]Gary

bblocker68
25th February 2008, 16:46
1977 - when SuperTex took a dominant car to the flag and actually won it. He was so far ahead of everyone for a good span of years, but his cars never held together.

1995 - When Scott Goodyear handed the race to Jaques. Uh, was that the pace car?? DOH!!!!!
2006 - Hornish passing Marco at the end wasn't too bad, eh?

nanders
27th February 2008, 20:27
1977 - when SuperTex took a dominant car to the flag and actually won it. He was so far ahead of everyone for a good span of years, but his cars never held together.

1995 - When Scott Goodyear handed the race to Jaques. Uh, was that the pace car?? DOH!!!!!
2006 - Hornish passing Marco at the end wasn't too bad, eh?

Wasn't there a wreck on the last lap and AJ had to drive through a bunch of carnage?

Even I knew Goodyear was blowing it. I guess he hadn't watched very many races.

FIAT1
28th February 2008, 14:43
1992. Start and finish was the best.

ACTF_ZETT
29th February 2008, 00:15
My favorite Indy 500 is the 1994 running. This was Al Unser Jr.s second win.

Everyone hated Emerson from the past year when he didnt drink milk in victory lane, he took orange juice.

Emo was running away with the win, and was within 5 car lengths of lapping his teammate, the 2nd place car of Little Al. Then he overdrove turn 4 and hit the wall, I think with less than 20 to go.

Crowd went nuts. Everyone wanted to see Little Al win again rather than Emo.

Also, no rain that year LOL.

Jag_Warrior
1st March 2008, 21:32

I don't know whether it holds the single day record any longer or not, but it is still an important event.

As for (still) being the most coveted title... whether versus a single race or versus an entire series of races, I don't think that one flies anymore.

Greatest Indy? Hmm, I'd probably pick the one where my favorite driver took it: Emmo in '89. But Sullivan's Spin & Win was certainly very exciting.

!!WALDO!!
1st March 2008, 21:59
Three points:

To answer your first question, the 24 of Le Mans and (sadly) the Daytona 500.[/*:m:10unl3vr]Gary

The 24 hours of LeMans is held over two days. Saturday and Sunday. Even if you started the race at 0000 Saturday it would end at 0000 Sunday, two days.
Daytona does not come close to the Indianapolis 500. It is currently second.

Alexamateo
1st March 2008, 22:32
I wasn't around then, but just looking at the box score of the 1960 Indy 500, this one would have my vote. It still holds the record for the most lead changes with 29! Think about it, 29 lead changes with no pack-up rule, no wave-around, no 10 pit stops, no debris cautions. In the last 100 laps, Jim Rathman and Rodger Ward swapped the lead 14 times and just when it looks like Ward will pull away to win, He has to pit with 4 laps to go to change a worn tire, giving the win to Rathman. Wow!

!!WALDO!!
1st March 2008, 22:51
I wasn't around then, but just looking at the box score of the 1960 Indy 500, this one would have my vote. It still holds the record for the most lead changes with 29! Think about it, 29 lead changes with no pack-up rule, no wave-around, no 10 pit stops, no debris cautions. In the last 100 laps, Jim Rathman and Rodger Ward swapped the lead 14 times and just when it looks like Ward will pull away to win, He has to pit with 4 laps to go to change a worn tire, giving the win to Rathman. Wow!

I was, and yes it was pretty good. Prior to the 1982 500, Johncock over Mears any guesses what was the closest 500 finish.

Nope not 1959, 1960 or 1961 and no race up to 1982. So prior to that.

CGormally
9th March 2008, 01:42
I haven't seen many 500's in my time but from what I have seen on videos and youtube etc. 1992 looked like a great race. Scott Goodyear coming from 33rd on the grid to within 1/2 a car length of victory, that must have been a remarkable effort.

!!WALDO!!
9th March 2008, 02:05
I haven't seen many 500's in my time but from what I have seen on videos and youtube etc. 1992 looked like a great race. Scott Goodyear coming from 33rd on the grid to within 1/2 a car length of victory, that must have been a remarkable effort.

Came that close in a car he didn't qualify in. Mike Groff did.

My problem with that race was the number of injuries in the race and a speed average slower than Sam Hanks in 1957.

CGormally
9th March 2008, 02:21

My problem with that race was the number of injuries in the race and a speed average slower than Sam Hanks in 1957.

Just out of curiosity, if Mike Groff qualified the car then why did Scott Goodyear race?

!!WALDO!!
9th March 2008, 02:39
Just out of curiosity, if Mike Groff qualified the car then why did Scott Goodyear race?

It was set up that way as Scott got bumped in the team car. Groff stuck in the back up as an insurance policy. If Scott held on then they would have two cars in and if Scott got bumped the Scott would slide in and they would move from the inside of row 11 to the outside of row 11.

This was the first time this was done.

Mario miised qualifying in 1981 and his car was put in by Wally Dallenbach Sr. and then took over the car, starting 32rd and finishing second but for about 4 months he was the winner.

Tom Sneva in 1980 qualified a Phoenix/Cosworth but wrecked it. They replaced the car with a McLaren/Cosworth (Illegal in 1981) and drove to second from 33rd.

CGormally
9th March 2008, 02:44
It was set up that way as Scott got bumped in the team car. Groff stuck in the back up as an insurance policy. If Scott held on then they would have two cars in and if Scott got bumped the Scott would slide in and they would move from the inside of row 11 to the outside of row 11.

This was the first time this was done.

Mario miised qualifying in 1981 and his car was put in by Wally Dallenbach Sr. and then took over the car, starting 32rd and finishing second but for about 4 months he was the winner.

Tom Sneva in 1980 qualified a Phoenix/Cosworth but wrecked it. They replaced the car with a McLaren/Cosworth (Illegal in 1981) and drove to second from 33rd.

Thanks.

!!WALDO!!
9th March 2008, 02:48
Thanks.

You're welcome.

CGormally
9th March 2008, 22:15

Sorry to bother you again :D Who was injured in that season's 500? I know that Jovy Marcelo was killed in practice, but I don't know about anyone else.

!!WALDO!!
9th March 2008, 23:10
Sorry to bother you again :D Who was injured in that season's 500? I know that Jovy Marcelo was killed in practice, but I don't know about anyone else.

In the race the temps were in the 30s. Tom Sneva broke something that caused him to get out of the car for good. Mario was injured in the back, not bad but Jeff Andretti broke both legs in a crash.

13 out of 33 crashed
Arie Luyendyk 136 Wrecked NW turn
Gary Bettenhausen 112 Wrecked
Jeff Andretti 109 Wrecked
Brian Bonner 97 Wrecked
Jimmy Vasser 94 Wrecked
Mario Andretti 78 Wrecked
Emerson Fittipaldi 75 Wrecked SW turn
Jim Crawford 74 Wrecked SW turn
Rick Mears Marlboro 74 Wrecked
Stan Fox 63 Wrecked
Phillippe Gache 61 Wrecked
Tom Sneva 10 Wrecked
Roberto Guerrero 0 Wrecked parade lap

Time of the race was 3:43:04.991 134.479 slower than the 1957 race.

Marbles
12th March 2008, 11:38
Hands down, it's the '89 Indy for me. The build up of tension... does Unser have enough gas... the split screen of the two wives in the pits... the crowd being heard above the cars... the announcers speaking only when necessary. Televison has never been more successful at conveying the drama of Indy, or any race, as far as I'm concerned!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yu8YwDgWxwA

garyshell
12th March 2008, 15:19
Hands down, it's the '89 Indy for me. The build up of tension... does Unser have enough gas... the split screen of the two wives in the pits... the crowd being heard above the cars... the announcers speaking only when necessary. Televison has never been more successful at conveying the drama of Indy, or any race, as far as I'm concerned!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yu8YwDgWxwA

Yep I have to agree with this. The youtube clip sucks though, because it doesn't show the classiest moment in all of motorsports, where Little Al goes to the edge of the track and gives Emmo a thumbs up after the incident. That and his interview after cemented Little Al's legacy as a class act on the track, despite his off track misadventures. Anyone know of another clip that shows the last few seconds?

Gary

Alexamateo
12th March 2008, 16:47
Yep I have to agree with this. The youtube clip sucks though, because it doesn't show the classiest moment in all of motorsports, where Little Al goes to the edge of the track and gives Emmo a thumbs up after the incident. That and his interview after cemented Little Al's legacy as a class act on the track, despite his off track misadventures. Anyone know of another clip that shows the last few seconds?

Gary

Here ya go Gary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdnVSMncw8

garyshell
12th March 2008, 18:04
Here ya go Gary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdnVSMncw8

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Gary

Osiris333
12th March 2008, 19:59
I'd have to say 2001 for me. All the CART teams that came back completely dominated the race and embarassed the IRL. It must have been at that moment that George realized he needed to spend the $$$ to lure the CART teams back, because he was never going to beat them. In the end, that worked out for him, even after much blood in the water.

1992? Isn't that the year that the pole sitter spun out ON THE PARADE LAP?!

1991 - The great Rick Mears does in 12 starts what it took AJ 20 something to do -- win 4 500's

1982 - Thrilling

1971 - The birth of the McLaren cars and the winged era. Peter Revson and the cooloest looking car I ever saw...

2000 - The complete dominance of the great Juan Montoya. "It was easy. These cars are so easy to drive, my grandmother could do it." Point made Juan. Rick Mears insists to this day he didn't show all he had, either.

2006 - Michael, Marco and Hornish made for a memorable finish.

1991 - The pass

The lowlights -

1995 - Face it: A) The pace car was going waaaaaay too slow, B) Jacques Villenuve DID NOT come from 2 laps down. The lap charts were fabricated after they discovered they screwed up. Coming from 2 laps down halfway through the race is impossible.

1992 - A Pathetic crashfest. And Michael Andretti loses a race he dominated because of a belt.

1996 - Buddy Lazier, Indy 500 winner. Who? My favorite moment: When Mark Dismal almost crashed into the back of the pack under a yellow.

1998 - Eddie (UnderA) Cheever wins? Pathetic. It would never have happened if not for the lower standards of the IRL era.

1973 - Rain, wrecks and death. Sad.

2002 - The rape of Paul Tracy. The sorriest example of the worst of sportsmanship. TG's presser was an embarassment.