PDA

View Full Version : Total lunar eclipse

ioan
21st February 2008, 00:28
I see no one is interested by the total lunar eclipse that will start at 1:43 GMT.
It should be visible from Europe and America, that is if you are lucky and the clouds steer clear. Till now it's cloudy where I am.

veeten
21st February 2008, 02:15
Cool. :cool:

leopard
21st February 2008, 02:50
miracle, pray for it. :)

edv
21st February 2008, 04:47
I've been watching it this morning from here in N Africa.
Pretty cool.
The moon was about 90% occluded from my vantage point. It is now moving away.
I did not, however, use the prediction to gain the devotion of the local population for my own benefit, like Columbus did in 1504 !

gadjo_dilo
21st February 2008, 06:53
I couldn't wake up and anyway my house is surrounded by tall buildings.
But the biggest shame is that I live at 100m from the Astronomical Observatory and never go there.

ioan
21st February 2008, 07:24
NO chance here, it was cloudy all night long and now is raining.
I'll have to wait a few more years.

leopard
21st February 2008, 07:42
I couldn't wake up and anyway my house is surrounded by tall buildings.
But the biggest shame is that I live at 100m from the Astronomical Observatory and never go there.
I think this problem happens everywhere.
In contrast with crowd easily found in shopping center, science thing such as astronomical observatory, museum, are suffering from the lack of visitor. Sometimes they can't even have enough recourse to cover regular expense for maintaining object of history in the museum.

ShiftingGears
21st February 2008, 09:19
Have fun with it - the moon turned a red colour last time there was a lunar eclipse here. Very cool.

Magnus
21st February 2008, 10:16
December(or was it september?) 2010 the next time.

gadjo_dilo
21st February 2008, 10:51
I think this problem happens everywhere.
In contrast with crowd easily found in shopping center, science thing such as astronomical observatory, museum, are suffering from the lack of visitor. Sometimes they can't even have enough recourse to cover regular expense for maintaining object of history in the museum.

But I don't go there just to avoid the crowd. Whenever it's an eclipse lots of nosy guys storm in.

Dave B
21st February 2008, 13:25
I had a look outside in the wee small hours but it was far too cloudy. Oh well, only seven more years to wait for another one.

MrJan
21st February 2008, 13:43
I was in bed. It was amazing everything was completely black ;) :p :

ioan
21st February 2008, 14:56
December(or was it september?) 2010 the next time.

I've just read that for Europe it will be June 2011, so only 3 year and a few months! :D

Breeze
21st February 2008, 15:36
We were the beneficiary of crystal clear skies last night and an awesome view of the event. I didn't even know it was happening, but when I took the dog out for a walk I noticed the moon looked a bit strange (it was about 80% eclipsed at that point). Took me a minute to realize what was happening.

Erki
21st February 2008, 15:55
Way too cloudy and foggy here.

Firstgear
21st February 2008, 16:14
Was a perfect evening for it here (if clear sky and -30 deg C can be called perfect). My daughter had been talking about it for weeks. We watched for 5 min. then warmed up inside for 30. Then watched for another 2 min.....you get the idea.

Looked pretty cool, more of a light orange than red. Also Saturn was supposed to be visible. I saw two bright objects, one above the moon and one below and to the left. I don't know which one was Saturn, although I suspect it was the one to the left as it was more yellowish.

jso1985
21st February 2008, 23:51
It's always great to see an eclipse! :up:

Luckily the football match was boring so everyone in the stadium was looking at the moon :p

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:28
I did not, however, use the prediction to gain the devotion of the local population for my own benefit, like Columbus did in 1504 !

You missed out there big time! You could have become a local god!