PDA

View Full Version : IRC launches 2WD Cup for 2008

anthonyvop
19th February 2008, 23:22
15 Feb 2008 - IRC launches 2WD Cup for 2008

http://www.ircseries.com/html/readnews.asp?id=744

The IRC will host a two-wheel drive cup this season, in order to reward participants who choose to compete on the series in two-wheel drive cars.This initiative has come about to provide greater recognition for manufacturers of two-wheel drive cars within the IRC series, some of whom already compete with a Super 2000 car. ...

Nonetheless, two-wheel drive machinery has been able to fight on equal terms with four-wheel drive cars on several occasions throughout the season last year. The two-wheel drive competitors have been particularly strong on asphalt, with Luca Betti finishing fifth overall on the Rallye du Valais in Switzerland at the wheel of the Honda Civic Type R R3 (pictured). Two-wheel drive cars make up a sizeable proportion of the entry list on the majority of IRC events, regularly finishing in the points.

Jacques Behar – the President of IRC series promoter Eurosport Events – commented: “The decision to host the ‘IRC 2WD Cup’ this year follows on from the requests of several of our competitors. We are extremely happy to oblige, in line with our philosophy of putting our participants first and maximising sporting opportunities for everybody. The ‘IRC 2WD Cup’ will become a prestigious competition within the Intercontinental Rally Challenge, rightly recognising the efforts of those teams and drivers who compete in two-wheel drive cars – whether they are private entries or manufacturer-backed squads. The establishment of the new Cup is sure to add yet another thrilling dimension to the IRC this year.”

The latest IRC sporting regulations are now online (click on the 'regulations button above), containing full details of the ‘IRC 2WD Cup’. At the end of every event, a classification of the two-wheel drive runners will be drawn up from the general classification and the standard FIA points system (10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1) will be applied for drivers, co-drivers and manufacturers. This will lead to a two-wheel drive overall classification at the end of the year, the winners of which will receive the ‘IRC 2WD Cup’. Prizes will also be presented to those finishing second and third in the two-wheel drive classifications.

The ‘IRC 2WD Cup’ will operate on all 10 rounds of the IRC this year, with the best seven scores from every competitor counting towards the final classification – as is the case in the main IRC series. The two-wheel drive prizes will be presented at the end of every event, with the Cup itself being awarded at the official end of year IRC prize-giving ceremony.

Sulland
20th February 2008, 11:44
Do anyone know what kind of regulations mekes the basis of this cup ?

What kind of car classes will be allowed to compete, any 2wd up to 2000 ccm, the new R Classes only - or ??

This is all that is posted on the site:

Eligible cars:
Gp N
Gp A up to 2000cc ( including S2000, R2 and R3)

Kit cars will be only accepted if agreed by FIA and IRC
__________________________________________________ __
Do we know if the Kit Cars will be allowed ?

In my opinion they should promote the R classes !

Mirek
20th February 2008, 13:12
I think all 2WD from gr. N a A up to 2000 ccm. That means A5-A7 (except wide Kit Cars), N1-N3, R1-R3.

Sulland
17th March 2008, 13:46
I saw the Civic R3 in the car show in Brussels, and as far as I remember it said on the poster that it had 260 hp. That is not bad for a R3 !!

urabus-denoS2000
17th March 2008, 22:35
I saw the Civic R3 in the car show in Brussels, and as far as I remember it said on the poster that it had 260 hp. That is not bad for a R3 !!

I think thats a little too optimistic.
Realistically,it has around 230

Mirek
17th March 2008, 23:06
Civic has definitely more than 230 (especialy when production Japanese model has 225). The car is very powerfull. It's problem is the suspension in my opinion. The car is not as stable as it should be especialy over the bumps as I could see. Frankly in my opinion 250-260 Hp is possible. When lighter S1600 has about 240. Civic doesn't accelerate worse.