PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Circuit Preview

blakebeatty
19th February 2008, 15:01
Very cool, check out the preview with google earth.

http://www.earthsg.com/index.php?option=com_esg&act=mups&task=list&cid=38

At one point the track goes under the grandstands

How racy will it be? Lots of tight corners?

ShiftingGears
20th February 2008, 01:52
The surroundings look nice but the circuit itself looks like a standard street circuit with poky corners and chicanes to remove the tricky bits.

gloomyDAY
20th February 2008, 14:57
2008's most hated track by the fans.

No one will be able to pass! No one.

woody2goody
20th February 2008, 17:07
I disagree. I think there'll be decent overtaking opportunites, especially if the lighting isn't brilliant. Some drivers cope better with darker conditions than others.

BTCC2
20th February 2008, 19:28
Looks good.

Although the fact that the visibility will be low due to it being a night race will probably be more of a reason for lack of overtaking.

maxu05
21st February 2008, 04:00
2008's most hated track by the fans.

No one will be able to pass! No one.

How can you say that is hated by the fans ? The race has not been run yet. It may turn out to be the best race of the year.

gloomyDAY
21st February 2008, 04:10
How can you say that is hated by the fans ? The race has not been run yet. It may turn out to be the best race of the year.Read the post above.

Running at night is unnatural. I don't know how the drivers are going to cope, but my feeling is that it won't go too well. The spectacle of a night race is incredible and very exciting, so let's hope I'm wrong and see some scraps.

leopard
21st February 2008, 04:59
Singapore needs peculiarity to attract visitors come to the race. Sepang represents modernized race concept, night race of a road track is another method peculiarly made that offers differentiation.

It could envy Sepang to hold night race, if only success measured in Singapore while it on the other hand declines Sepang visitors and its popularity. After all, I think Sepang will offer different concept of night race, night race of race track.

maxu05
21st February 2008, 06:57
I think night racing could be the thing of the future. Motogp is running the first race of the season at night in Qatar. I think we should wait until the races have been run, before we say if they are a success or not. I think your member name is appropriate gloomyDAY :) If I start feeling so negative about something that promises to be exciting, I will change my member title as well, how about, Bummer, or, BadVibesMan :laugh:

ShiftingGears
21st February 2008, 07:00
Read the post above.

Running at night is unnatural. I don't know how the drivers are going to cope, but my feeling is that it won't go too well. The spectacle of a night race is incredible and very exciting, so let's hope I'm wrong and see some scraps.

The only concern would be when it rains and what effect the artificial light has on the spray. Besides from that, it looks like a boring circuit.

wmcot
21st February 2008, 07:41
Those grandstand seats directly over the track should be premium places to get great photos and viewing! I'll be they cost a fortune!

leopard
21st February 2008, 07:55
The only concern would be when it rains and what effect the artificial light has on the spray. Besides from that, it looks like a boring circuit.
They should have calculated the lighting system in conformity with the risk of wet races. The use kerosene lantern is strictly prohibited ;)

waitey
21st February 2008, 12:26
Im still trying to organise a budget so I can race in the Formula BMW Pacific (formerly Asia) Series this year. It is supporting the Malaysian, Singapore and Japanese F1 Gp's. I don't think I'm starting the season but should do at least the last half of the season including Singapore.

In terms of the track, it looks a bit like your typical street circuit, lots of 90 degree turns and a quick burst etc, but the scenery of this and some of the features will make it simply stunning to drive on. I think drivers will love it, street circuits usually give an eerie feeling to the driver, even though your going slower it usually feels faster and some of the features like going under the grandstand and the bridges will make the drivers really enjoy it i think.

But I can't see there being too much passing unfortunately.

fandango
21st February 2008, 19:31
Those grandstand seats directly over the track should be premium places to get great photos and viewing! I'll be they cost a fortune!

Isn't that a bit dangerous for the drivers? What if people drop stuff on them?

WSRfan82
21st February 2008, 20:43

boring what you talking about. i get the feeling it going to be a fabtastic race and the road it mite be wider then we think so losts of over taking mite happen. its going to be ace

gloomyDAY
22nd February 2008, 02:26
I think night racing could be the thing of the future. Motogp is running the first race of the season at night in Qatar. I think we should wait until the races have been run, before we say if they are a success or not. I think your member name is appropriate gloomyDAY :) If I start feeling so negative about something that promises to be exciting, I will change my member title as well, how about, Bummer, or, BadVibesMan :laugh: :D

You're right. I shouldn't bad mouth a race that hasn't even happened in recorded history. I'll sit tight, but my prediction has been made about the race. Come back in a couple of months to discuss how things unfolded.

woody2goody
22nd February 2008, 03:03
Isn't that a bit dangerous for the drivers? What if people drop stuff on them?

That could be a problem.

Although the circuit looks good for driving and for overtaking opportunities.

Something tells me with all this nice scenery it would be better to run the race in the daytime??

Tazio
22nd February 2008, 03:20
I think night racing could be the thing of the future. Motogp is running the first race of the season at night in Qatar.
Yes, as all the GP's start moving to ungodly hot venues, and away from classic,
traditional tracks in Europe, the trend would seem to have merit.
I'd much rather "Walk a mile for a Camel" when it is 90 degrees F than 120F

ShiftingGears
22nd February 2008, 04:48
boring what you talking about. i get the feeling it going to be a fabtastic race and the road it mite be wider then we think so losts of over taking mite happen. its going to be ace

Boring as in all the corners are exactly the same as any other street circuit. As far as seeing the drivers being challenged by the circuit is concerned, thats boring.

Lots of Tilke circuits are wide with small radius corners to cater for cars that can't pass. Last time I checked, the Tilke circuits that are a mile wide didn't produce great racing at all. The only real consolation is that it is a new circuit without miles of runoff, so the drivers will get punished for driving wide.