PDA

View Full Version : New Quali rules

Spoonbender
18th February 2008, 14:39
I was just reading on formula1.com about the changes from last year. the timings of the three sessions are changing 1st 20 mins 2nd 15 mins and 3rd 10 mins. The interesting one is the third session won't be handing back any fuel credits, you start the race with the fuel you finished the session with. I guess this will mean front runners setting a fast pace at the start of the race but having to pit after only a few laps. Maybe it would be better to start lower down the grid and pace yourself for a longer stint. One for the statistitions I guess, bet Ross is glad he's back in it.

Mark
18th February 2008, 14:46
The point of doing away with the fuel credits is that there will no longer be a 'fuel burn' phase of the qualifying session. The teams will simply fuel the car with the amount of fuel they want to start the race with, plus a little extra for the qualifying lap. So Q3 should be much more exciting :up:

BoilerIMS
18th February 2008, 15:50
So Q3 should be much more exciting :up:

...and much slower than Q2.

Spoonbender
18th February 2008, 16:24
I see what you mean, that was a bit of a drag sometimes. Though the fight to be first out in the third round, sitting there by that red light for a few minutes, then jostleing for track position was fun. Still I guess we'll still see Hamilton and Alonso doing that?

ShiftingGears
19th February 2008, 07:29
...and much slower than Q2.

Yep. The teams nominating their fuel strategy before Q3, and then running on fumes is the best way to do it. Fuel burn phase sucks.

Valve Bounce
19th February 2008, 08:10
I can see a greater relevance to car set up during Q1 and Q2 for the faster cars. Once they are happy with the set up to be used for Q3, then they only have to put enough fuel in for around 20 odd laps plus one shot at Q3. I would not be surprised if some of the better teams like Ferrari will only run 3 laps in Q3 if they are happy with the set up.

The fuel burn off laps in the old Q3 were only there for the TV audience. However, seeing cars come out for just 3 laps in Q3 might not please Bernie and his bloody TV audience. It will, however, give me time to have a shower.

Mark
19th February 2008, 08:12
10 minutes will be about right for the one fast lap. Since teams have to seal the fuel level before Q3 then we aren't going to see anyone to two runs. It's more of a one shot deal, expect lots of action right at the very end!

Valve Bounce
19th February 2008, 08:15
10 minutes will be about right for the one fast lap. Since teams have to seal the fuel level before Q3 then we aren't going to see anyone to two runs. It's more of a one shot deal, expect lots of action right at the very end!

..............unless they see rain acoming :p :

airshifter
20th February 2008, 00:00
This might be a good thing in the end. The last session should be faster paced, more similar to the days of drivers just trying to get in that one last flyer to get them on top.

I suspect many of the lesser teams will go with the low fuel strategies, as they did last year. Kimi seemed to like a larger fuel load on the first stint, as did a couple others.

wmcot
20th February 2008, 08:17
I'd rather they get rid of the fuel declaration completely and let Q3 be a full shoot-out! Then let them fuel up as much as they want before the race. Let's put some excitement back into qualifying - Q3 would be the top 10 running flat-out on fumes!

Tazio
20th February 2008, 12:18
Since the track will be already rubbered in, with 10 minutes why wait?
It's an advantage to know what time you have to beat.
But, 10 minutes may (depending on the track, and pit configuration)
be enough time to get two flyers, both on new tyres,
if you get it wrong on the first one, and you abort,
Thats only 5 laps!

Tazio
20th February 2008, 12:58
Actually it's only 4 laps!
5 laps would be a chance at a 3rd flyer!
on 2 sets of tyres

Osella
20th February 2008, 22:14
It will be interesting to see whether teams gamble and go for 1 flyer in the final 5 mins or get a banker in and then a second run, but pay the penalty of having to start the race with less fuel.
Also, there may be more surprises thrown up by this, in that with less time in Q3, some teams may wait until right at the end and go out when potentially the track has cooled a bit and get one fast lap in to snatch a surprise pole.

I also wonder if this might play more into the hands of drivers like Webber and Trulli, who seemed to excel under the old single-lap qually rules? (assuming they can get into Q3! ;) )

555-04Q2
21st February 2008, 10:54
For ^&%$% sake. Bring back the old one hour free for all 12 laps per car quali system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinchote
21st February 2008, 11:17
It's funny (or sad, I would say) that they are getting to this format now. For those who forget about it, the qualy system from last year was introduced because almost no one liked the previous one... which was almost exactly as it is now.

This is good news for me. I'll keep getting a good sleep on Saturday mornings.

MrJan
21st February 2008, 19:16
I think that every driver should nominate how much fuel they will have before qualifying and then everyone could do proper laps and that way you would have the fastest person on the front of the grid. Unlike the situation where Toyota or whoever get pole but pit after 4 laps which, lets be honest, is crap unless you are a Toyota fan.

In the end though the best format is 1 hour 12 laps and everyone knows it.

jens
22nd February 2008, 16:41
Unlike the situation where Toyota or whoever get pole but pit after 4 laps which, lets be honest, is crap unless you are a Toyota fan.

Why should a Toyota fan like sacrifizing a race result to a qualifying result? :p :

MrJan
22nd February 2008, 17:00
Why should a Toyota fan like sacrifizing a race result to a qualifying result? :p :

I thought the whole point of Toyota was to get a good grid position and then fall away in the race. Surely people only support them if they like watching qualifying. ;) :p : :D

Big Ben
22nd February 2008, 19:54
I'd rather they get rid of the fuel declaration completely and let Q3 be a full shoot-out! Then let them fuel up as much as they want before the race. Let's put some excitement back into qualifying - Q3 would be the top 10 running flat-out on fumes!

are you sure this is what's going to happen? I think this will bring the actual results closer to the real situation but I think it would make everything less interesting. IMO this will make race results even more predictable though they weren´t that much of a mistery so far either