PDA

View Full Version : Torquespeed at Daytona?

Gasman
13th January 2007, 13:17
I don't see John Mickel's name listed among the drivers at the first Craftsman Truck test at Daytona yesterday (i.e. on Friday, 12th January 2007). http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/news/track_news/531129.html

There's no news on their website, which I take as a bad sign as I'm sure that they would be "trumpeting" any good news about running in 2007, especially at Daytona.

Does anyone out there know if Torquespeed are still hpoing to race in the the 250 Truck Race at Daytona during this February's Speedweeks?

cgs
13th January 2007, 13:53
looking at the speed charts, it looks like only half the season entrants are there so i don't think its a bad sign as such...

Gasman
15th January 2007, 17:19
John's name HAS appeared (albeit 23rd fastest out of 24 times cars/drivers listed for that day) on the Sunday pm CTS test times at Daytona.

He is listed as driving the #63 Ford which is run by "Mittler Bros. Motorsports" based in Missouri - a long way from Torquespeed's US base.

On the previous day's test this truck was driven by Scott Lynch who has previously driven a handful of Busch and Truck races, but with little success.

Given the above and the fact that Torquespeed were supposed to be running Chevys in the Craftsman Truck Series in 2007, it's all a bit mysterious...

I wonder if John has "bought" a ride with MB Motorsports and Shane Lynch was setting the car up for him on Saturday before John took his first laps on Daytona's 31 degree banking yesterday (the morning session was rained out which must have made John feel at home!).

I'd love to watch John in next month's "Chevy Silverado HD 250", but qualifying is likely to be a tall order as the #63's owner, Michael Mittler is only listed as 37th in the 2006 owner points so John won't be guaranteed a starting spot like he was in last season's last five races unless some of the other owners aren't going to Daytona in February.

Any information or alternative theories anyone?

acorn
15th January 2007, 17:40
"shane"getting in some practice before he makes his scsa debut then??

cgs
15th January 2007, 17:47
the test drivers aren't always the drivers who will race for the team. for example, Tony Stewarts #20 Nextel Cup car was tested by Mike McLaughlin. So it could be the case that John has agreed to test the truck on behalf of the team, whilst at the same time getting to know the track for himself. Testing is simply that, testing. and at Daytona, its all about the car at this point and not the person behind the wheel.

cgs
15th January 2007, 17:50
UPDATE FROM JAYSKI: http://jayski.com/cts/ctsnews.htm

Mickel in the #63? Scott Lynch practiced the #63 MB Motorsports Ford on Saturday, however, during Sunday's testing session, England's John Mickel was in the driver's seat. Speed/TV reported that Mickel brought sponsorship to the team and would be the driver.(Speed/TV)(1-14-2007)

unfortunately John crashed his truck exiting T4 and hit the inside wall head-on. he was able to walk away though.

JDPower
15th January 2007, 18:55
unfortunately John crashed his truck exiting T4 and hit the inside wall head-on. he was able to walk away though.
Whoops!

cgs
15th January 2007, 19:19
http://www.weebitproductions.co.uk/v8t/mickel1.jpg

http://www.weebitproductions.co.uk/v8t/mickel2.jpg

Dave17
15th January 2007, 19:29
He does love his Turn 4's does'nt he!

Abo
15th January 2007, 19:43
Love the odd panels and filler look!

Gasman
15th January 2007, 23:05
"shane"getting in some practice before he makes his scsa debut then??

Oops! I really meant "Scott Lynch."

Looks like John Mickel has already found out that the "learning curve" at Daytona is made of concrete... Better luck in February John!

Reynard
15th January 2007, 23:26
Yep, whoops... ;)

What is it now? T4 5, Mickel 0?

hicksy
16th January 2007, 20:57
Oops! I really meant "Scott Lynch."

Looks like John Mickel has already found out that the "learning curve" at Daytona is made of concrete... Better luck in February John!

Learning Curve could be the new name for T4.....LOL

FBanfi
19th January 2007, 13:47
Yep, whoops... ;)

What is it now? T4 5, Mickel 0?

Got to be something like that... Go figure why he seems to have trouble with T4s...

That looked like a rather hard hit :(

Glad to see he was OK.

LessThanSte
19th January 2007, 14:28
Does make you wonder how someone can lose it out of turn 4 at Daytona though. I mean, most drivers seem to agree that driving the track on your own is quite dull. In a draft i can understand but seriously, on your own!!!

cgs
19th January 2007, 14:32
he was in a draft. several drivers in the cup series got a bit wiggly out of T4 in their tests, but due to their skill and familiarity with the track were able to save it. several other truck drivers (mostly rookies) lost control at various parts of the track aswell, most saved their truck though, only one other truck was damaged. mickel's was by far the worst damaged truck though!

LessThanSte
19th January 2007, 19:58
ok fair enough, being in a draft explains in slightly with the different air movements and stuff!

cgs
19th January 2007, 20:21
also, the right side tyres are harder this year, hence less grip

JDPower
19th January 2007, 21:34
also, the right side tyres are harder this year
Shame the bumpers and hood aren't :cheese:

Reynard
20th January 2007, 00:22
Shame the bumpers and hood aren't :cheese:

Naaaa, you want those to be rubberized so's they bounce off without denting! :laugh:

Gasman
5th February 2007, 23:32
Looks like John Mickel won't be at Daytona after all. The MB Motorsports website today states:-

"Jason White will be the driver of the #63 MB Motorsports Ford at Daytona and Atlanta. gunbroker.com will be the sponsor for White at both events."

( http://www.mbracing.net/index.html )

Oh well, pack the Union Flag away for another year...

I wonder if we'll see John back at Rockingham now that his US NASCAR Truck Series deal would appear to have fallen through?

Redmond500
6th February 2007, 12:44
That's very disappointing.. I was looking forward to watchin' John run next friday.

Gasman
6th February 2007, 19:39
I was looking forward to watchin' John run next friday.

Does that mean that you're going to Daytona this year Redmond500?

I'll be there for the Gatorades, Truck Race, Busch Race and the "500".

I fly out to Orlando this Saturday. GSYE!

Redmond500
6th February 2007, 20:08
Does that mean that you're going to Daytona this year Redmond500?

Oh Yes! We fly out to Orlando on Saturday too from Manchester.

Staying on I-Drive (forget which hotel now) and plan to travel to Daytona for each of the Race's.. We had a fantasic time out there in 2005 but only managed to see the '500, so can't wait to get out there to see the build up races this time around..

We'll have to go for a Bud out there.. ;)

Speedworx
7th February 2007, 00:07
Torquespeed looking toward 2008: Torquespeed Racing [UK] has reported that they are in discussions with a couple of sponsors for 2008 with a view to do some races again sometime this year, but like all things this is still not confirmed. Torquespeed's driver John Mickel tested [#63] at Daytona for the sole reason of being signed off for Daytona which he achieved but as yet has no drive with any team. A team spokesperson for Torquespeed noted the team has made a lot of changes to the UK organization so they can concentrate on the future in NASCAR, and are as committed as ever to this sport.(Torquespeed Racing)(2-5-2007)

http://www.jayski.com/cts/ctsnews.htm

Gasman
7th February 2007, 20:33
Oh Yes! We fly out to Orlando on Saturday too from Manchester.

Staying on I-Drive (forget which hotel now) and plan to travel to Daytona for each of the Race's.. We had a fantasic time out there in 2005 but only managed to see the '500, so can't wait to get out there to see the build up races this time around..

We'll have to go for a Bud out there.. ;)

I'm flying out from Manchester too. I'm on the Delta flight flying via Atlanta. For the first week I'm at the Parc Corniche Condos just south of Seaworld, Then after the family (wife. daughter aged 11y & son aged 9yrs) fly home after half-term hols on the next Saturday, I transfer to the Quality Inn at the junction of I-Drive and Sandlake for three more nights before flying home on Tuesday 20th.

Are you travelling with your family?

Maybe we can meet up at DIS before the 500 if you want to?

Redmond500
9th February 2007, 09:26
I'm flying out from Manchester too. I'm on the Delta flight flying via Atlanta. For the first week I'm at the Parc Corniche Condos just south of Seaworld, Then after the family (wife. daughter aged 11y & son aged 9yrs) fly home after half-term hols on the next Saturday, I transfer to the Quality Inn at the junction of I-Drive and Sandlake for three more nights before flying home on Tuesday 20th.

Are you travelling with your family?

Maybe we can meet up at DIS before the 500 if you want to?

Just had alook at our hotel.. It's the Quality Inn Plaza just a little south from yours, we are there untill the 19th, then down to Miami for 5 days.

I'm going with my partner and something far worse than any kids...... Me' dad.

Will be aiming to be at DIS on the sunday pretty early so yeah! We could find somewhere to catch up.. :)