PDA

View Full Version : No BTCC on Brands GP (again)

Alfa Fan
14th February 2008, 12:47
As usual the BTCC's cancelled its scheduled event on the Brands Hatch GP circuit. Using both layouts is the typical justification for going to Brands twice yet we've only been on the GP layout twice in 8 years now!

CroftPilgrim
14th February 2008, 13:08
I think you'll find the main justification for going to Brands twice is that a large number of people live in that area of the country, so two visits are warranted. Alan Gow has stated as such in the past.

VkmSpouge
14th February 2008, 13:11
It is a shame that they won't use the Grand Prix circuit but the Indy circuit is a good track and is excellent for spectating.

VX_Rules
14th February 2008, 13:24
Well there's Vauxhall advantage gone....
Is it me or has the BTCC turned into the Jason Plato show a lot in the last few years or so?

It would of been nice to have the full circuit used.

jackmarsh
14th February 2008, 13:43
Last years WTCC round at brands on the GP circuit I thought was an awesome spectacle. I still believe that the GP circuit is one of the most exciting circuits in the world. I do have to agree with the last poster on one point, it does help the Seats out big time, but I don't think that would be a deliberate ploy. I think you will see the Honda's being very quick this year, and for me, with the amount of BMW's on the grid, if they are in the top ten on the grid, the Seats will have no chance getting into paddock first, and as we all know Brands provides thrills and spills every time. So on the plus side think about the quality of the racing rather than the disappointment.

MrJan
14th February 2008, 14:13
What's the point in the GP circuit now that Dingle Dell has been ruined. I know that Thommo had a big accident there and the bikers didn't like it but it really was a fantastic corner.

Ur not a salmon
14th February 2008, 14:42
Last years WTCC round at brands on the GP circuit I thought was an awesome spectacle.

Not really. There was bugger all overtaking tbh.

thompp
14th February 2008, 16:38
You are not a salmon

Glad to hear it.

Dickie L'Amour
14th February 2008, 18:04
As usual the BTCC's cancelled its scheduled event on the Brands Hatch GP circuit. Using both layouts is the typical justification for going to Brands twice yet we've only been on the GP layout twice in 8 years now!
Reading the piece and Alan Gow's quote "due entirely to circumstances beyond the BTCC's control" suggests to me this was not of the BTCC's doing? He also hints at his own disappointment.

VX Rules: is it me or did Giovanardi not win twice at Brands last autumn and also finish ahead of Plato in race 3?

BDunnell
14th February 2008, 20:34
What's the point in the GP circuit now that Dingle Dell has been ruined. I know that Thommo had a big accident there and the bikers didn't like it but it really was a fantastic corner.

That's sort of my view too. It's lost a bit of its magic as a circuit now. Still great, though.

fabricator/61
14th February 2008, 21:55
We have been here before and I think it is something to do with planning/noise control with the jerk who bought the house that backs onto Dingle Dell.

Pedalpusher
15th February 2008, 00:24
Aren't Brands limited in the number of meetings they can hold on the GP circuit each year?

VX_Rules
15th February 2008, 00:50
Your probs right Dickie, But its definately going to suit the Diesel Leons better, as they need tracks where aerodynamics arent Key,

And i think Jacks right, the Hondas i can see are going to be very quick, the Spain test that both Honda and Vaux attended, Chilton achieved the best lap time. We'll just have to see.

ready2rock
15th February 2008, 00:52
After reading the comment about noise, i Google Earthed Brands and was very suprised how close the houses are to the track. That would be my dream house!!

Gobber
15th February 2008, 10:06
Personally I think this is great news. What could be better that the 'super fast super viewing' Indy. I suppose the GP may be better on TV, but for spectating at the track the Indy is unbeatable!

Dickie L'Amour
15th February 2008, 10:41
That's sort of my view too. It's lost a bit of its magic as a circuit now. Still great, though.
Agreed, the old Dingle Dell chicane was spectacular to watch the cars through (often in the hands of the bravest they'd leave the ground completely) but it didn't really do much for actual racing.

I much prefer the 'new' corner which actually goes a long way to restoring the circuit to its original configuration (as used for F1 GPs up to 1986) and in my view is much more in character with Brands's flowing nature. If only they could bring back the original flat-out sweeper at Graham Hill Bend.

PDS
15th February 2008, 11:10
Agreed, the old Dingle Dell chicane was spectacular to watch the cars through (often in the hands of the bravest they'd leave the ground completely) but it didn't really do much for actual racing.

I much prefer the 'new' corner which actually goes a long way to restoring the circuit to its original configuration (as used for F1 GPs up to 1986) and in my view is much more in character with Brands's flowing nature. If only they could bring back the original flat-out sweeper at Graham Hill Bend.

Dingle Dell used to be a 90 degree right hand corner! Nothing like what it is now!

WSRfan82
15th February 2008, 18:13
We have been here before and I think it is something to do with planning/noise control with the jerk who bought the house that backs onto Dingle Dell.

then why bloody buy the house if he didnt like the noise lol what a jerk lol

i too was hopeing the GP track would return this season but not to worry loads of fab racing on its way :D

WSRfan82
15th February 2008, 18:22
im just thinking the corner know as "dingle dells" is not called "dingle bell" now is it its "sheens corner" :)

btcc-thunder
15th February 2008, 18:56
does seem a bit of a shame to have had the gp layout offered up then taken away again

it is a great layout, seems a bit crazy that you can do track days on the gp layout but the countrys best championship cant race on it

PDS
15th February 2008, 20:19
im just thinking the corner know as "dingle dells" is not called "dingle bell" now is it its "sheens corner" :)

Or as Tarquini called it in his first year in the BTCC, 'Dingle Dongle Dell'!

nicemms
16th February 2008, 13:49
I've never been before but off for final weekend this year!!

And regarding the wtcc at gp last year, watch it on tv/online and there was not much passing at all.

jackmarsh
19th February 2008, 14:32
Going back to my point regarding the WTCC last year, I thought the racing was good even if the amount of overtaking was at a minimum.

ascarmarshal
24th February 2008, 10:55
Brands Hatch is limited to the amount of days it can use the GP circuit. There are 20 race days on the GP circuit this year. You also have to add the test days and trackhire to that number. Most of the people in West Kingsdown love the circuit and always get their free season passes. There is only a handful of people who complain and most of those have moved in to the village in the last 10 or so years

Allyc85
24th February 2008, 12:55
According to Motosport News its the fact they cant arrange enough test days before the event with the limit in place.