PDA

View Full Version : Weird Invitations

Hazell B
12th January 2007, 23:37
What's the most unusual thing you've ever been invited to?

I've just had an email asking me to a ploughing competition at Castle Howard next weekend. Two of my friends are competing there and one's asked me to go along and act as his cheerleader (using bread bags, not even real tassles, the ruddy cheapskate :rolleyes: ). If I'm really lucky, he'll let me paint his plough with grease after the match :mark:

Recently I was invited to the grand opening of a card shop.
I kid you not :s

Gannex
13th January 2007, 00:36
My two weirdest were:

1. To watch a dry-stone walling competition, and
2. To watch a Knurr & Spell competition.

Knurr & Spell, as I discovered, but did not know when invited, is an ancient Yorkshire game which has died out, basically, but used to be played in medieval times. What you do is pick up a small stone (the knurr) and whack it with a stick (the spell), and the person who sends his stone the furthest wins. I tell you, it was pretty dull.

drcritical
13th January 2007, 04:50
i was once invited to a 4th of july party and we accidently set the garage on fire

Hazell B
13th January 2007, 15:10
1. To watch a dry-stone walling competition....

Been to a few of those. They have free beer and lunches ;)

tintin
16th January 2007, 19:55
Knurr & Spell, as I discovered, but did not know when invited, is an ancient Yorkshire game which has died out, basically, but used to be played in medieval times. What you do is pick up a small stone (the knurr) and whack it with a stick (the spell), and the person who sends his stone the furthest wins. I tell you, it was pretty dull.

Isn't that called golf these days?

LeonBrooke
16th January 2007, 21:13
On my birthday once, I got a call from a friend of mine. "Happy birthday," he said. "I know an internet café where they don't charge you on your birthday. We could go there and play six hours of WarCraft III."

I like WarCraft III, but it was my birthday! He was serious.