PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix Masters

ArrowsFA1
6th December 2006, 09:41
Well, we've had three GPM races so far - Kyalami, Losail, Silverstone - so what are people's opinions on the series? If you've watched any of the races what do you think? If you haven't, why not? Are you excited at seeing the likes of Fittipaldi and Mansell racing again? If you've enjoyed it so far how do you think things can improve?

If you don't know what I'm talking about :p - http://www.gpmasters.com/

sonic_roadhog
6th December 2006, 16:31
I enjoyed Kylami but I haven't seen any since. Its a crime its only on sky! should be on the beeb all the time with muzza talking us thru. :D

Sonic :)

Sleeper
6th December 2006, 21:23
So far I've only seen the pilot race at Kyalami last year. Good event with better racing than I thought was possible for that go-kart track.

If they can sort out a reliable engine, reliable clander and a few more cars then I think they're on to a winner.

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2006, 11:15
There's talk that the age limit for the series (currently 45+) may be lowered, and that the likes of Jean Alesi & Johnny Herbert are thinking about taking part. That could mean a major change in the series. Perhaps, as their F1 careers end we'll see drivers move straight into GPM eventually... :dozey:

Ranger
7th December 2006, 11:40
How about a 5 year gap from when they finish their F1 careers? That'd be enough methinks, possibly less than that.

But the loophole comes in where F1 drivers last race in F1 at a very early age, so you could theoretically have 60 year olds against 28 year olds.

Viv
7th December 2006, 11:42
We don't get coverage here in India :( So no GPM for me.

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2006, 11:49
For a fee of £2.99 the races have been available to watch 'live' on the GPM website, which has been useful for those of us without Sky :cool:

...so you could theoretically have 60 year olds against 28 year olds.
That's my concern. Would Emerson Fittipaldi, for example, really want to be racing against a whipper-snapper fresh out of F1? So far, the series has had a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere for those taking part, but it could become a serious championship eventually, which is taking it away from the orignal idea.

Sleeper
7th December 2006, 13:58
For a fee of £2.99 the races have been available to watch 'live' on the GPM website, which has been useful for those of us without Sky :cool:

I tried that when the first race of the season was on this year, it wasnt available to UK residents at the time.

That's my concern. Would Emerson Fittipaldi, for example, really want to be racing against a whipper-snapper fresh out of F1? So far, the series has had a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere for those taking part, but it could become a serious championship eventually, which is taking it away from the orignal idea.

Emo doesnt seem to have much trouble against the likes of Lammers and Johanson, two drivers that have been in regular competition for the last 30 years.

BDunnell
7th December 2006, 23:39
I have lost interest since it began, largely because of the lack of decent live terrestrial TV coverage. I must say that I've always agreed with Martin Brundle's view that a series more like the old Procar championship would be better than open-wheelers, thus allowing people to lean on one another a bit, rather than being over-careful in order to avoid major accidents.

ArrowsFA1
8th December 2006, 09:45
I have lost interest since it began, largely because of the lack of decent live terrestrial TV coverage. I must say that I've always agreed with Martin Brundle's view that a series more like the old Procar championship would be better than open-wheelers, thus allowing people to lean on one another a bit, rather than being over-careful in order to avoid major accidents.
TV coverage is a problem, and the sooner GPM can get terrestrial coverage the better.

Like you I thought a Procar-style series would be good, but Riccardo Patrese made it clear to me that the only reason he was racing again was because GPM gave him the opportunity to race single-seaters again. He has no interest in tin-tops.

Also, part of the concept of GPM is nostalgic in that we see ex-F1 drivers in the kind of cars they used to race.

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 13:52

They need to keep it the way it has been. More races obviously would be nice, but keep the younger guys out. Good to see "old" men thrashing GP cars about :up:

ArrowsFA1
12th December 2006, 10:26
The latest info I have is that there will be six GPM races in 2007 - Qatar (31st March), England, Germany, Romania (a street circuit around the Parliament Palace in Bucharest), South Africa and Australia.

ShiftingGears
12th December 2006, 10:39
Albert Park I'm assuming. Although having the GPM series at Adelaide would be mad.

courageous
12th December 2006, 20:53
Albert Park I'm assuming. Although having the GPM series at Adelaide would be mad.

Champ Car may need a support race for Surfers... (just wishful thinking)

Jonesi
14th December 2006, 00:55
Liked the concept, but haven't been able to see a race. (I'm sure watching it on computer isn't an option with Windows 98 system, and a slow internet connection)

wedge
28th December 2006, 16:03
I was at the Silverstone race I absolutely enjoyed it even though the weather was atrocious. It was fantastic getting close the likes of Mansell and Emmo Fittipaldi - who re-grew his amazing sideburns!

Cozzie
28th December 2006, 23:26
They're showing it for the first time in Australia on New Years Eve on Ten!!!

ShiftingGears
1st January 2007, 11:22
I can't say I enjoyed Losail that much :( How does it compare with the Kyalami and Silverstone races?

ArrowsFA1
1st January 2007, 17:44
Kyalami was a good start for the series. Most of the drivers were fairly cautious, which was understandable given they hadn't raced a single seater for many years. Also the cars were new and the drivers had no idea how they, the cars and the tyres would do in the race.

Losail was not great, largely because the circuit had been designed for bikes not cars. Salazar's car had to be towed back to the pits simply because the gaps in the armco were not wide enough for the GPM car. That meant the first long safety car period, before the race was broken up again when de Cesaris beached in the gravel. In between the safety car periods the racing was close and competitive.

Silverstone was very nearly a disaster due to engine problems, which restricted running for everyone. The race was run in damp/wet conditions which certainly livened things up. Again we saw plenty of wheel to wheel racing.

The series has had its problems but the drivers remain as enthusiastic as they were when they first tested the GPM car. The series is not intended to be an ultra-competitive step on the motorsport ladder and should not be seen in that way. It is nostalgic for those of us who like seeing the drivers we grew up watching race again, and it is fun for them to be racing again.

ArrowsFA1
4th January 2007, 14:16
More news - Herbert, Nannini, Moreno and Boesel have signed up to race, and there are likely to be 4 races.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56133

philipbain
5th January 2007, 13:43
The GPM has a massive amount of potential, and with the organisers switching suppliers from Nicholson-McLaren developed Cosworth engines to Mechacrome (a company with close ties with Renault) and the tyres from Avon to Michelin the competition should be on a more even keel with engine reliability more certain and better tyres than they run in F1! Obviously coverage is a concern, not for me personally as I have Sky Sports, but on a wider scale the series would benefit from having decent terrestrial coverage, but the reason it doesnt wasnt because the series was unwilling to grant the BBC the rights, it was because the BBC wanted dates confirming 18 months in advance, something which I personally think is utterly ludicrous, especially considering a new series such as GPM. Its good that GPM are lowing the age limit and letting drivers like Johnny Herbert race, personally I think the driver formula should be 40+ and at least 5 years out of F1, so if lets say Micheal Schumacher fancied having a go he'd have to wait until he was 43 as he retired when was he pushing 38 (indeed he is now 38, just a couple of days ago).

Ranger
7th January 2007, 14:19
Silverstone race was just showed today on Channel Ten. What a brilliant race.

I'd much prefer it if it was shown within a month of the actual race though, and not as filler during the non-ratings period. :down:

I saw the idea of Jean Alesi that GPM events should take place on Grand Prix weekends. Fantastic idea! Coverage wouldn't be so much of a hassle (in theory, anyway) and would provide great entertainment alongside F1 and GP2.
The idea sounds appealing to me as the V8SC event at the OzGP which I will be attending was called off, so another series which I enjoy and pay attention to would be very nice for Albert Park! :up:

Zsolt
10th January 2007, 16:47
I haven't seen one race, unfortunately. I was told by someone on another site that the races are shown on Speed on Wednesdays, but I checked the schedule on Speed today & of course, there is no GPM race.

Would anyone be kind enough to spare me a dvd copy? I'll trade? PM me.

johnthephysio
23rd January 2007, 15:35
The lastest press release I have found for GP Masters seems to be on Johnny Herberts web site dated 4.1.07. Check it out if you haven't already and watch out for the imminent relaunch of the gpmasters.com web site.

ArrowsFA1
23rd January 2007, 17:23
johnthephysio, thanks for the info :cool: Hopefully the site re-launch bodes well for the series as a whole and it can really establish itself in 2007.

futuretiger9
27th January 2007, 19:20
When the series started, I had great hopes for it. The race in Kyalami was promising. However, it seems to have disappeared from the radar somewhat,
with a decline in media coverage.

The concept remains a fine one, and the latest rumours about new drivers signing up bode well. However, some anomalies need to be resolved. The age limit and eligibility criteria, mainly. Also, what is the series trying to achieve? I can see parallels with the Golf Seniors Tour, which started out as a bit of knockabout fun, and developed into a product almost on a par with the regular tour.

Care must be taken so as not to alienate some of the older, iconic stars. This could happen if younger, fitter, "lesser lights" start to dominate. Paradoxically, the pure sporting credibility of the series would be enhanced if this were to happen.

ClarkFan
28th January 2007, 00:47
I saw the idea of Jean Alesi that GPM events should take place on Grand Prix weekends. Fantastic idea! Coverage wouldn't be so much of a hassle (in theory, anyway) and would provide great entertainment alongside F1 and GP2.
The idea sounds appealing to me as the V8SC event at the OzGP which I will be attending was called off, so another series which I enjoy and pay attention to would be very nice for Albert Park! :up:

Could be embarrassing, though. The GP Masters race ends, and most of the crowd gets up to leave........ :s

ClarkFan

johnthephysio
28th January 2007, 13:52
I heard it suggested that one of the issues about staging a GP Masters at the same venue as an F1 race, is having sufficient space in the Paddock.......that said, hypothetically there is also the timing of the races to consider. If GP Masters was a scheduled as a warm up to the main event, I agree it could make the F1 race appear relatively dull, if you exclude the start and first hand full of laps that is. For all the initial GP Masters spectators frustrations i.e. no terrestial TV coverage last year and, more recently, August's atrocious weather and pre race engine complications, the racing is very close with, at Silverstone, the lead changing hands every few minutes.

On the other point raised, the younger drivers pitted against older drivers does, for some entusiasts, provide the opportunity to make comparisons not previously possible i.e. Nigel and Johnny? could prove to reignite interest. Watching Hans (Stuck) and Alex (Caffi), the GP Masters official test driver, battle it out in the wet for 4th and 5th at Silverstone proves a point that the experience, which comes with age, is often an advantage.

ArrowsFA1
29th January 2007, 12:54
Could be embarrassing, though. The GP Masters race ends, and most of the crowd gets up to leave........ :s
:laugh: You can see why Bernie might not like the idea of sharing the bill with GPM.

For all the initial GP Masters spectators frustrations i.e. no terrestial TV coverage last year and, more recently, August's atrocious weather and pre race engine complications, the racing is very close with, at Silverstone, the lead changing hands every few minutes.
Indeed :up: The racing was close, and everyone enjoyed themselves, even Nigel despite all his trials and tribulations :cool:

On the other point raised, the younger drivers pitted against older drivers does, for some entusiasts, provide the opportunity to make comparisons not previously possible i.e. Nigel and Johnny? could prove to reignite interest.
Just imagine in a couple of years time...Schumacher v Hill all over again :p Unlikely to happen, but you never know.

futuretiger9
5th February 2007, 22:41
I can't imagine Damon doing it. How about Schumacher v Hakkinen v Alesi in a few years' time? That would be something to see.

Georgeboi999
5th February 2007, 22:44
yep

ArrowsFA1
1st March 2007, 10:37
The 2007 Grand Prix Masters leg, which was scheduled to be held at the Losail International Circuit in late March, has been moved to November this year. This was confirmed by Nasser bin Khalifa Al Attiyah, President of the Qatar Motor and Motorcycle Federation (QMMF), yesterday.

“The change in the dates was requested by the Masters Series drivers. The drivers felt the first stop of the Grand Prix Masters series was clashing with the Formula One season and hence the request to change the dates of the Doha leg,” Nasser told The Peninsula.

“We are happy with this change. It gives us a better chance to market our race properly. We have had an extremely busy time in the past few months. We have been staging local events regularly at Losail Circuit since January this year.

“Besides numerous local racing events, we also staged the first round of the 2007 World Superbike Championship last week. In another week or so, we will be hosting the first round of the 2007 MotoGP calendar. We have been busy promoting these races.

“We had been left with very little time to stage the Grand Prix Masters series race. Since we have changed the date to November, we feel it will give ample opportunity and time to marjet our race properly,” Nasser explained.

Nasser said he met Scott Poulter, Chairman of GP Masters, before announcing the change in Doha dates.
http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com (http://riccardopatrese.com/bb/YaBB.pl?action=dereferer;url=http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com)

ShiftingGears
2nd March 2007, 06:10
I hope someone burns the Losail circuit, its just woeful. Whys GPM racing there anyway?

Rippers
2nd March 2007, 11:27
Damon Hill in GPM racing against Schumi and Mansell?

The prospect is mouth watering to say the least, and I think Damon would do it in the future but in the next couple of years.

johnthephysio
2nd March 2007, 16:35
I hope someone burns the Losail circuit, its just woeful. Whys GPM racing there anyway?

There are more reasons to race at Losail than not to. From the drivers perspective, it is a very relaxed and secure environment. It provided a great opportunity for all the drivers to interact and concentrate on setting their cars up. It was, after all, only the second race in the series and the first race for the newcomers. The facilities are fanstastic compared to some other circuits in Europe. Ultimately I think they may have been invited to hold a race there.

I didn't see the whole GPM race, only parts of it on TV as it was happening in the cool airconditioned pits. For those that don't know, the problem for cars at Losail seemed to revolve around its design. The run offs are deep gravel and gaps in the armco apparently designed for bikes so clearing any stopped car was excruciatingly slow resulting in numerous safety car laps. Its something the circuit should address. When they were racing (and not under the safety car) the action was very close, as the lap times will verify. I think the Losail track did test the drivers fitness and proved the GPM cars reliability. So,as for 'Burning Losail' - I would give it a second chance to redeem itself.

The GP Masters website has been relaunched today.