PDA

View Full Version : SCSA Forum

racingrivalsDOT
13th February 2008, 01:41
Please do not delete this thread, I just want to ask an honest question.

SCSA will now be racing with the VSR's. Is there no chance of those who want to see oval racing continue in this country getting together to put together an action plan for a return to ovals next year, possibly even run a demo meeting this summer? If we put together a watertight business case, Alfie would listen. Gavin has around 20 cars doing bugger all and are worthless. Even if we just used those cars and ran the series like A1 GP or FPA, it wouldn't take a lot to convince people to join the series on an arrive and drive basis. Other drivers who have cars would surely join too, the likes of Colin White and John Steward and others.

I'm not saying it would be easy, in fact it would be extremely hard to pull off. But what people need to understand is that the series has to be run like a business, not as a hobby. The Days of Thunder years under Pover were a way forward for the series, but Rockingham simply couldn't wait five years for the series to break even with a gradual pull out of funding. So they cut it dead.

My proposal would be along the lines of two day meetings run on a similar format to Thunder Sundays. Twenty drivers would pay to race ala FPA (Gavin would recieve the money in return for running the cars). Drivers who own their own cars will drive for free, but obviously pay there own way (fuel / tyres). Music would return at no cost to the event, a leading group of radio stations would have the stage and supply the acts for a cut of the gate money, and these would all be leading pop acts such as Mika, Girls Aloud, Snow Patrol and the like - bands that families can all listen too. This group of radio stations get the bands to appear in local pubs and concerts for free anyway, so they will actually make on it. Pick ups and legends would support (as in the original format).

OK, so some people may say it's a pipe dream. Some peole may say we tried it already. But we haven't. We made a good effort in 2003 and it was paying off, then some idiot booked fifty cent and nearly bankrupted the circuit, and if it wasn't for Alfie, the circuit would be dead and buried. Since then, the series has been a half arsed attempt to survive. First to go were the professional paint jobs, then other bits started to go to save money. But so did the fans.

Jeff Carter was the best thing that ever happened to Rockingham, and the day he left was pretty much the day the series died and the start of the death of the circuit. OK, so we have BTCC and F3 back, but what is an oval circuit without proper oval racing. Sky Sports are now showing NASCAR, NASN / Setanta have the Nationwide series and NASCAR Now, Motors are showing ARCA and Channel 5 have highlights, more coverage than we have ever had!!

Let's make a proper attempt to save the series, or we could just let it die. Let's not go down the painfull road that ASA took. If it's going to die, let it go with dignity.

What harm would a meet up do?

PS. If I can't post this here, can we have a new forum on this site called Oval Racing in the UK. Thanks.

Nick Brad
13th February 2008, 02:33
First of all, I see no reason why this thread would be closed, after all you're asking questions about the series and putting forward ideas, what's wrong with that?

There is one major issue with the arrive and drive deal, an expensive rookie test. The MSA stipulates that all drivers must pass this test in order to run either pickups or V8 Trophy which immediately cuts down the potential number of drivers eligible to take advantage of an arrive and drive scheme, there's nothing we/Duane can do about this.
The other issue is that yes, Gavin does have a good collection of cars sitting going to waste, but he hasn't got the time or inclination unfortunately to run a squad of arrive and drive cars. He's more interested in climbing up the single seater ladder nowadays. If we want to see the West Tec cars hit the track in the future, they're going to have to be bought by new drivers to the series, there are cheaper cars available though.

For anyone who is looking to maybe run in the series, I think it could be done on a budget including buying a car for less than what a National Hot Rod costs just for the car!

Duane
13th February 2008, 06:47
Racingtrivials again, ive not had much time for you since you stood me up in London when the series needed your support, you obviously dont have a clue about how the oval works now and how the series has had to work in the last two years.

once again you are dissing me big time, "IF" you was trully with us you would know whats going on in REAL time, you realy think we have settled for what we have this year dont you???

Duane, (with restraint)

JovialJooles
13th February 2008, 10:22
Don't know why you think we would close the thread for asking a question. ;)

My problem with your idea is the arrive and drive. It is not like racing on a circuit. There are rules/lines/technique/etiquette to learn about racing on a big oval. When exactly would that take place?

If I was a driver, I certainly would not expect to arrive and be let loose on the oval. If I was an experienced driver or owner driver, I would not go out and race with someone I didn't know and had no experience.

I'm not sure about your economic model for the concerts. Sounds very good on paper, but in practice I don't think it would even get off the ground. Radio stations do not like taking risks.

I do agree that Jeff was the best thing to happen to the Rock, his energy and enthusiasm went beyond the call of duty.

I also agree that with the increased exposure to NASCAR in the UK, it would be great to link in with Rockingham.

I also note Duane's comments which seem to put your post into perspective.

Duane is someone who I admire greatly for his tireless energy and all the work he has put into the series for several years. I know he has worked very hard on the plans for this year, and thank him for his restraint in his post.

There is more to getting a series off the ground than posting messages on this forum. If you truly want to see your plans realised, then I'm afraid actions speak louder than words.

I for one will watch with interest...

But I won't be holding my breath. :D

racingrivalsDOT
13th February 2008, 12:24
Duane, I wasn't dissing you. It just seems that over the past couple of years, it hasn't worked. As I have got older, you start to realise how precious time is. Two years is a long time to prove a point, and unfortunately it didn't work out. I'm not saying people should not support SCSA, I'm simply saying we need to put together something else in addition. If you guys want to race these cars on road courses, that's great. But you will never get back to Rockingham doing just that.

FPA and A1 GP are arrive and drive, their cars are owned by the series and the drivers / teams basically franchise a car for the year. They turn up on the Saturday to practice and qualify, and then race on Sunday. There are also so many test dates per year. Gavins cars are worthless doing nothing, maybe he could be persuaded to lend them to the series? In return, we introduce a set price for cars like the old days and when a customer driver wants to by one, they buy from Gavin? At the end of the day, we aren't going to attract the racer guys from BTCC or other decent series. If we got 10 / 15 guys who race FPA / Fun Cup style series then we could definately find five guys who used to race Days of Thunder.

The good thing about oval racing is entertainment value, and who can remember Ashley Pover going into driver briefings telling them that. I'm not suggesting going to rockingham saying "we will give you 18 cars a year" and then pray to god we get them. I'm suggesting we put together a proposal for 4 or 5 meetings next year, with a round or two at Brands Hatch.

Everybody involved with the series has contacts. This may be media contacts, racing contacts, driver contacts or something else. The fans won't come back unless it's a total package, Rockingham is a business and if they have racing, they want the stands to be full of punters buying hot dogs and programmes. What's the point in opening the gates if nobody is coming to watch?

The problem is, our oval racing i so much different to the states. That's what is wrong. It's all about the day out over there, and we need to do that here if we are going to succeed. I couldn't do something like this alone, who would be up for a meeting?

deadsquirrel
13th February 2008, 12:51
The problem is, our oval racing i so much different to the states. That's what is wrong. It's all about the day out over there, and we need to do that here if we are going to succeed. I couldn't do something like this alone, who would be up for a meeting?
I could get 10 cars on the grid.
[I couldn't, but it's very easy to say isn't it - and that's what's dogged the series, people who haven't put up what they say they will, leaving the diehard racers to fund it (more than their share) themselves]

One issue of arrive-and-drive would be damage costs; ask any driver how much it costs when you tap the wall, and the insurance (if you could get it) would be huge. Plus there's always the thorny issue of rookie training (and I wouldn't imagine that could really be dispensed with).

I hope that we see SCSA V8's on the oval next season, it's where they belong - but now maybe we can get to see oval and road course events.

Gasman#99
13th February 2008, 12:54
I think your missing the point, the real problem is money, and sadly in this day and age theres no money in uk motorsport, thats all it comes down too. You could have 30 car sitting around like there probably is but if theres no money then they will just sit there.
And we all know Duane has done nothing over the last few months (sure we hardly see him) the real person behind it all is Mandy!! :p

JovialJooles
13th February 2008, 14:22
Oh Mandy...

Well, she came and she gave without taking... ;)

racingrivalsDOT
13th February 2008, 15:20
The arrive and drive concept would be easier than finding 20 racers as like you say, there is no money about. FPA is around 120k a year, requires national A and is far inferior in terms of corporate hospitality to what we can offer at Rockingham. Most of the guys racing these cars are corporate directors who have that money to spend. Fun Cup racers would be a prime target too.

What I am proposing is a franchise system, where the drivers pay £30k a year for use of car, tyres and fuel. Like any other series, they will have to cover damage in addition. The series will have a full time co-ordinator to look after the administration of the series and day to day management with a corporate sales exec selling corporate hospitality and advertising etc.

There isn't much point going into too much detail on here, I think we should all get together, Duane and the SCSA guys included. It would be better to present a united front to Rockingham with a proposal that is realistic and that can deliver, rather than just say "I'll get you 18 cars" and then hope and pray we get it. We need a water tight business case, broken down into a step by step action plan.

I really think we could get a demo meeting together for this year, but everything would come down to Gavins cars and Rockingham!

quorky
13th February 2008, 17:48
its ok to say 30K is finding the 30k which is hard .sponsers that wat u need tv deal wood help like channal 4 like we had before or a sponser of the serises

Reynard
13th February 2008, 18:09
That's pretty much what I thought, Quorky. Finding £30k in today's economic climate - from sponsors or otherwise - is not going to be easy.

In theory, perhaps - but in practice, now that's where I take my hat off to Duane and the gang. I really respect the effort they've put into the series.

racing59
13th February 2008, 19:59
Last season, my wife sent out something like 5000 emails, 2500 letters, 250 formal proposals, and countless phonecalls to try and find sponsors for "Team Air Ambulance".

OK, we landed some help from Domino's Pizza - that didn't account for a set of tyres, but what it did was feed the team (and Quorky) at a number of events, and I am eternally grateful for their support.

Had I found 30K, I would have run a second car.

30K, oh for 30K!

Now Mr RacingrivalsDOT - if you really really think that arrive and drive will work, I suggest that you get your chequebook, take it to Mr Will's, write the following numbers in the amount field - one one seven five zero zero.
Sign it, give it to him, hopefully it clears, then you can collect it all at your leisure. Then find the drivers for the cars, and the crews to run each car.
Ten cars, at least five per car plus spotter.

I have no doubt that you live in the same cloud cuckoo land that I do when it comes to "how to run a race meeting", but in the hard cold foggy reality of Great Britain, it is not going to happen until Berhard Charles Ecclestone GIVES Silverstone £100M free and gratis for their circuit upgrades, and a 99 year contract to run the British GP for £5 per year fixed. IE: Never. (or Ken Livingstone grasps reality and joins the Conservative Party)

Like Quork said. It all comes down to money. If you haven't noticed, there is a bit of a recession going on (regardless of President Brown's spin on the matter)

There is more going on behind the scenes. Duane has not rested on what we have (which ensures the survival of something we all want to see stay alive), and by going to the road courses, we have stirred more interest in the series than there has been for nearly three years (since Jeff left).

Rob.

Nick Brad
13th February 2008, 23:22
30k you say for the arrive and drive season package?
I tell you what, you find me two drivers who will pay that and as long as I get the money up front or at least half of it, i'll run the cars for you. By the second year i'll be quids in as you can easily buy one of these cars and run it this season for 30k.
That's the problem, people just don't seem to grasp how cost effective this series is now.

bravheart
14th February 2008, 00:33
Without Television, A Series Sponsor who could put up Start & prize Money! or even just Prize money! the job of attracing new drivers has been made that much harder, some of us know from experience just how much it cost when you hit that wall! and its not cheap!!!

The Idea of going to Circuits i feel will attract allot more interest both in terms of Media and other new drivers! let get them aboard 1st and in 2009 you never know?

Should Dario win in a NASCAR this year? Oval racing in the UK might well get some help? Come on Dario!!!

quorky
14th February 2008, 19:00
i fink im right this is the only country the goverment dont help motor sport.about time it changed

racingrivalsDOT
14th February 2008, 19:07
Tell you what, how about we just meet up and discuss it. What harm can it do?

Getting the drivers is way down the line in the process. Lets come up with a viable series, get all the permissions (Rockingham, cars etc) then start thinking about finding drivers. That's always been the problem, we need to have a product to sell before we put it in the shop.

Gasman#99
14th February 2008, 20:29
Tell you what, how about we just meet up and discuss it. What harm can it do?
Ahhh but you probably wouldnt turn up!

bravheart
14th February 2008, 22:17
I believe they call it, Someone who can talk the talk but does'nt walk the walk!

Duane
14th February 2008, 22:20
i was going to reply but i would end up giving too much away too soon, so i deleted it.

or maybe like you say racingdrivel, we have done nothing in the last two years to build on..............

Duane (with even more restraint) or i would end up with 8 points

kjb
14th February 2008, 22:22
dont go there duane, its not worth it!!!! HA HA HA!

racing59
14th February 2008, 22:24
Any advance on 8 points?

I did the same - a long s..u reply, then deleted it. It's not my scene.

I think mine might have given me my first 10 if I'd posted it!

Any advance on 10?

bravheart
14th February 2008, 22:25
Oh go on Duane, what would it end-up ending up ?

kjb
14th February 2008, 22:26
temptation is a great thing but er nah thanks!

kjb
14th February 2008, 22:27
dunc not everyone gets the end up bit mate, its almost a private joke with us involved

Duane
14th February 2008, 22:31
Drivel and groan-ramone are entitled to their oppinion however far removed from fact they may be, trouble is i just cant prove it right now.

Duane

Nick Brad
14th February 2008, 22:35
Unfortunately we can't really go into the end up discussion, but last year I sat with 3 "end up" rookies at different points and they all ended up shocked at how many times it came out. You have to end up remembering that it's not a joke and end up appreciating that it's perfectly normal for the person involved.
End Up! :laugh:

racing59
14th February 2008, 22:52
53 times

Nick Brad
14th February 2008, 22:55
That wasn't the 2007 record, I recall it ending up being higher than that. :laugh:

JovialJooles
14th February 2008, 23:02
Thanks for the restraint guys! :D

racing59
14th February 2008, 23:10
Do us a favour and close the thread. It's never going anywhere other than to end up with it ending up as an argument.

Thank you.

And the other rubbish thread too.

ss_collins
14th February 2008, 23:10
I wonder if all this bickering and secrecy has something to do with the failure of SCSA. The fact is CAMSO V8 is cheaper and runs on ovals - possibly including the biggun at Mallory.

I wanted to go stock car racing - I was bored of open wheelers so I looked around - only CAMSO was a viable option, close racing, management who are very nice to get on with and most importantly the series has realistic pricing. I mean its the same cost as Formula Vee! SCSA was clearly in its death throes and had lost its way.

SCSA has a pile of cars in this country, I mean a load of the things, but why does nobody want to use them - because there are too many people trying to get a piece of SCSA - since its inception its been way overpriced. My advice would be to go and talk to Mallory set up a series running sprint races on the mile drop the BRSCC (and the prices), get your grids up to 25+ every meeting and then you can go back to the rock I bet you! And why not Lydden and Warneton - you can run there too?

You also need to get a lot of your guys to lose thier silly dreams above what it is. SCSA is not a pro series anymore so drop the aspirations to be one, its a club series and should operate like one. Reading this makes you guys look like bickering children - don't forget anyone can read it - and think how that looks.

Come on boys lets go racing.

bravheart
14th February 2008, 23:13
Awww look how its all ended up!!

Nick Brad
14th February 2008, 23:36
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think it costs to run in V8 Trophy these days?

racing59
14th February 2008, 23:45
Quick, close this thread before someone thinks about running around Wimbledon or Ipswich.....

Sam, we don't want to do CAMSO. If we did, we would have been talking to Roland.

There are 11 complete cars for sale, with 8 people viewing this week/coming week.

There are another 5 complete cars in a batch of 10 in total with spares etc... available in one job lot if you have the funds to buy them - and they would be a good deal, only that you have to take all or none.

The smart money is that a certain number are going abroad (AllStar V8's) to race on road courses.

There is increased media interest because they seem to "like" Stockcars at the moment - Speedcar is getting good press. Dario and his mates with the Good Ol' Boys, with Sky showing NASCAR, Motors showing ARCA. Remember that Motors is French, and the French have gone NASCAR mad (allegedly).

I feel that going to road courses now is the means to an end. That being that we end up being a multi-format series.

Our chassis, well, look at CoT. A straight up chassis that is used on road, short, speedway, and superspeedway. Teams have gone from 15 cars for the season, down to 5. There's talk that NASCAR are talking about going to fuel injection. Blimey! Add composite bodies, and you all know that the ASA was right in 1999 when the conceived this series.

We (the UK) got it wrong by trying to be NASCAR without any foundations, and throwing lots of money at it. Well it didn't work. Hey, that's life, CART didn't work either, and Gerry put a lot more money into that than he did Rockingham!

I'm happy if Duane's happy.

Have you ended up happy Duane?

racing59
14th February 2008, 23:48
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think it costs to run in V8 Trophy these days?

I think Sam's point regarding costs has validity. CAMSO race for free. The entries levied on the underclasses at Warneton pay for the V8's. Without the bangers, the crowds wouldn't go, and Roland would have to charge everyone. Though without the crowds, I'd say that Roland would shut the place and look for something else to do.

He's a showman at heart, and with no audience, there's no point putting on a show.

It's a fact that people love banger racing. Look at the BTCC.

Nick Brad
15th February 2008, 00:12
I realise CAMSO have lower running costs, but I still think too many people are harbouring ideas that the V8 Trophy cars cost an arm and a leg.

racing59
15th February 2008, 00:55
During the season..
Excluding damage and entry fee's (which also hurt), last year I bought:

Two sets of Avons (HAD to buy the second set because I trashed all four when I put it in the wall!)
500L of V-Power and two cases of Millers CVL (abt 70L ended up in my road car after the season ended)
20L of Pennzoil 5/30 synthetic
20L of GM 5/30 synthetic (much much cheaper!!)
Two brake discs (to replace ones which were well past their use by date!)
One hub (which I didn't need in the end)
Three wheel bearings & hub seals
Two sets of sparkplugs
One set of MSD leads (which melted after one run)
One clutch (because the original one was ancient and well worn/abused)
One head gasket,
One set of valves (only wanted one!)
One set of ARP head bolts
One fuel injector (which I didn't need)(it was a coil pack)

That's the lot.
No hotel bills, no ferry crossings, about 100L of UL for the motorhome running back & forth.

Due to damage -
One panhard rod.
One rear spoiler & gurney flap.
One good s/h rear end panel
One good s/h fuel cell can (Colin - HOW MUCH DO I OWE YOU!)
One great team of guys who pulled together to get the car fixed.

Adding it all up, the tyres and the fuel dwarf everything else.
Factor in the entry fees we were stitched with - and that dwarfs the lot.

racingrivalsDOT
15th February 2008, 02:44
My point is that Rockingham don't give a flying duck about car numbers and racing, all they care about is numbers through the gate. They are a business at the end of the day. If SCSA aren't pulling in the numbers (which let's face it, they aren't), then Rockingham said they would get rid and try something else. Which, true to word, they have now done.

If SCSA or any oval based stock car series is to return to Rockingham, there needs to be a proper business plan and the series has to be about more than just gettin x amount of cars on the grid. Duane, I am not criticising you, sorry if it seems that way. All I am saying is that we need to do something different, and the only thing different about the way you are running things is that the cars will be running around road courses. I'm not dissing you, I think you have pulled miracles to keep the series going at all.

All I want to do is look at the possibility of putting something else together, preferably with Duane and the SCSA guys involved. Nobody is saying don't do what you have planned for this year. Heck, once we had things set up, you could still even run it if that's what you care about. Everybody thinks that it's all about getting car numbers up, because the more cars we have, the better the racing. Wrong. What we need is an evenly matched field that will provide entertaining racing. What we need is a family day out to bring in the punters. And finally, when those punters come, Rockingham will be happy, more drivers will be able to attract sponsorship because of the fan numbers etc.

Tell you what, if you are not interested, that is fine. If you are, PM me for dates.

JovialJooles
15th February 2008, 03:42
I'm not sure Rockingham is the issue. They just hire out the track these days, they do not organise/promote any of the meetings. They haven't since 2005.

I would have thought that any gate receipts would go to the organising club, BRSCC. Therefore, it is the organising club that need to be won over. As long as Rockingham get their track hire fee, they'll be happy.

I could be wrong on this...

Duane
15th February 2008, 06:29
all i can say right now is that you , Racingdrivel, you are right, you are also about 6 months behind me, in some cases 18 months.

look at some of the older threads and you may get a sense of the Oval issue, i have more important issues to deal with at the moment.

Duane

Nick Brad
15th February 2008, 12:23
I'm not sure Rockingham is the issue. They just hire out the track these days, they do not organise/promote any of the meetings. They haven't since 2005.

I would have thought that any gate receipts would go to the organising club, BRSCC. Therefore, it is the organising club that need to be won over. As long as Rockingham get their track hire fee, they'll be happy.

I could be wrong on this...

No, you're not wrong, you're pretty much spot on.

fastbob
15th February 2008, 15:28
Racingrival..... i don't know how many times i've said it on this forum.... talk is cheap!!!

If you have such a good idea and you are so sure its the way to go why do you need people to PM you.... get on with it, let us know when the dates are and i'm sure we'll all be there to support you and your great NEW series!!!!!!!!

Henry Cutts
15th February 2008, 16:37
My point is that Rockingham don't give a flying duck about car numbers and racing, all they care about is numbers through the gate. They are a business at the end of the day. If SCSA aren't pulling in the numbers (which let's face it, they aren't), then Rockingham said they would get rid and try something else. Which, true to word, they have now done.

If SCSA or any oval based stock car series is to return to Rockingham, there needs to be a proper business plan and the series has to be about more than just gettin x amount of cars on the grid. Duane, I am not criticising you, sorry if it seems that way. All I am saying is that we need to do something different, and the only thing different about the way you are running things is that the cars will be running around road courses. I'm not dissing you, I think you have pulled miracles to keep the series going at all.

All I want to do is look at the possibility of putting something else together, preferably with Duane and the SCSA guys involved. Nobody is saying don't do what you have planned for this year. Heck, once we had things set up, you could still even run it if that's what you care about. Everybody thinks that it's all about getting car numbers up, because the more cars we have, the better the racing. Wrong. What we need is an evenly matched field that will provide entertaining racing. What we need is a family day out to bring in the punters. And finally, when those punters come, Rockingham will be happy, more drivers will be able to attract sponsorship because of the fan numbers etc.

Tell you what, if you are not interested, that is fine. If you are, PM me for dates.

Give me 20+ drivers with 30k each and I will run the series for you!! In the mean time I will keep myself busy with a real (and improving) race series.

racingrivalsDOT
15th February 2008, 18:46
But you won't get the drivers without a product to sell. That's what I'm saying!

Nick Brad
15th February 2008, 18:51
But you won't get the drivers without a product to sell. That's what I'm saying!

You've got a genuine pm, appreciate it if you'd respond. ;)

pickup
15th February 2008, 19:33

You won't have a product to sell without guaranteeing a minimum number of drivers, so going round in circles (bit of a pun there) springs to mind.
You seem to be somebody that knows what they are talking about but everything you are saying has been discussed in depth on this forum over the last few months and all to no avail, nothing you are suggesting is new what the SCSA has at the present through lots of hard work is as good as it's going to get this year and hopefully something to build on for the future.

racingrivalsDOT
15th February 2008, 19:41
Look at it from Rockinghams point of view. Do they want twenty cars, or do they want 10000 people plus coming through the gates? I could race my mates on a bike round rockingham for all they care, all they want is the people through the gate. If we attracted crowds as a priority, with the aim of getting people in to Rockingham with the hope they may become regular visitors (like Pover did), we have more chance of getting Rockingham back than if we just turn up to race with twenty cars and no crowd. What revenue will 20 cars bring? How many people through the gate will 20 cars bring? Exactly, people through the gate and revenue is what we need, and that's what drivers and sponsors need to get money too. Lets come up with a plan to get people in, then worry about getting drivers.

Henry Cutts
15th February 2008, 19:59
plan to get people in, then worry about getting drivers.

But people come to see the drivers. If you have the money Rockingham will happily give you the dates then you can put your plan into operation. I’m assuming (feel free to pm me your plans) you want an all Rockingham series?
I personally think now the series is visiting other circuits it will start to grow. IF we can get some oval dates with the road courses next year we will finally have a championship that can grow (they really should have done this in 2001)

Nick Brad
15th February 2008, 20:09
We had a plan to get people in last year and then worried about getting drivers, but then we were shot down from every angle and Rockingham/Brscc/whoever kept coming up with excuses why all our new drivers couldn't actually race.
Rockingham is a business, therefore their primary concern is to make money or at least cover their losses like you say, but do they care how many people come through the gate? No, not one tiny bit for the simple fact all the drivers paid through the nose last year for the track time regardless of whether or not they actually got any of it, which lined Rockingham's pocket nicely.
They didn't actually pull the plug on us as I understand, why should they, they got their money so what do they care.

I was willing to give you a break which is why I asked you via pm for your plan, (this was without the knowledge of another single person,) however you're now saying,
Lets come up with a plan to get people in, then worry about getting drivers. which obviously means you haven't thought it through in any way and you want us to scrap the plans we've already got and have implemented, to rewrite the whole thing. I suggest you ring up the amigo's and offer your services to them for assistance with CCWS, you seem to be reading from the same book as they are.

Henry Cutts
15th February 2008, 20:14
We had a plan to get people in last year and then worried about getting drivers, but then we were shot down from every angle and Rockingham/Brscc/whoever kept coming up with excuses why all our new drivers couldn't actually race.
Rockingham is a business, therefore their primary concern is to make money or at least cover their losses like you say, but do they care how many people come through the gate? No, not one tiny bit for the simple fact all the drivers paid through the nose last year for the track time regardless of whether or not they actually got any of it, which lined Rockingham's pocket nicely.
They didn't actually pull the plug on us as I understand, why should they, they got their money so what do they care.

I was willing to give you a break which is why I asked you via pm for your plan, (this was without the knowledge of another single person,) however you're now saying, which obviously means you haven't thought it through in any way and you want us to scrap the plans we've already got and have implemented, to rewrite the whole thing. I suggest you ring up the amigo's and offer your services to them for assistance with CCWS, you seem to be reading from the same book as they are.

If anyone wants to know how not to run a championship give Champ Car a call (They probably wont answer the phone)

racingrivalsDOT
15th February 2008, 20:26
Read what I have said. I am not saying abandon what you are doing. The fact Duane has kept the series going at all is amazing and you guys should support him. Ideally, we should be racing at Rockingham, Lausitz and Brands Hatch. That's what I'd like to see, but it's only my opinion. These cars are built for ovals, but I love road courses too. I just think we should focus on ovals with the odd road course round.

As for getting drivers after securing the other parts, there would be no point in lining up drivers etc. if the overall goal is not going to be achieved. Having a proper package would actually attract drivers and sponsors.

Henry Cutts
15th February 2008, 20:38
Read what I have said. I am not saying abandon what you are doing. The fact Duane has kept the series going at all is amazing and you guys should support him. Ideally, we should be racing at Rockingham, Lausitz and Brands Hatch. That's what I'd like to see, but it's only my opinion. These cars are built for ovals, but I love road courses too. I just think we should focus on ovals with the odd road course round.

As for getting drivers after securing the other parts, there would be no point in lining up drivers etc. if the overall goal is not going to be achieved. Having a proper package would actually attract drivers and sponsors.

We do support Duane, Ideally we should be racing at Rockingham, Eurospeedway and some road courses. But I can guarantee you all those option were looked into for this season. If you can put together a better calendar great, it would be better discussing it in October/November not February. I'm still waiting for my pm. I am looking for a job and I feel running you championship would suit me.

racing59
15th February 2008, 20:46
Racingdrivel, You keep saying WE like you're part of it, but YOU are not.

fastbob
15th February 2008, 21:13
Look at it from Rockinghams point of view. Do they want twenty cars, or do they want 10000 people plus coming through the gates? I could race my mates on a bike round rockingham for all they care, all they want is the people through the gate..

Have they told you that?

Perhaps they would be happy with people paying to use the track and not having to bother with 1st aider's, safety marshals for grandstands, people to clear up the litter afterwards, ticketing systems and big insurance bills!!.

It has been suggested in motor racing circles that eventually all club level racing will happen at closed gate events!

kjb
15th February 2008, 21:28
racingrivalsdot, its good to see you have a lot of enthusiasm, although a tad late in the day!

bravheart
15th February 2008, 21:28
racingrivalsDOT, Are you not the same person who:

1, Was Going to run your own 2car SCSA Team in 2005?

2, Raised the budget for a documentry to be made in 2005

3, Was Taking their Rookie test in 2006 to race a V8?

4, Hired Rockingham for a day in 2006 using the V8 2 seater?

Well?

kjb
15th February 2008, 21:31
to think "the pits" called me a TROLL a week or so ago! ha ha

Duane
15th February 2008, 21:38
I have been through Rockingham again this week with a view to needing a date this year, with a revised package, although they veiwed it on its merits they have no weekend dates availible at all this year, corperate days and the like (behind closed doors) take up most of the track time outside of the race weekends they are holding.

The Girls at Rockingham in the sales have done a great job to sell every weekend and days inbetween so that the circuit breaks even.

but that means they have done a too good of a job for us.

and Lausitz is 120,000 euro's for a weekends hire !!!!

Good luck racingdrivel.

Gasman#99
15th February 2008, 22:06
Hey, i think i have seen racingdrivel in a race car somewhere else, now where was it...........oh yes-euro cloud cuckoo land.
I think i will stick with Mandy running the series this year, haa haa

english4ever
16th February 2008, 01:35
racingrivalsDOT, Are you not the same person who:

1, Was Going to run your own 2car SCSA Team in 2005?

2, Raised the budget for a documentry to be made in 2005

3, Was Taking their Rookie test in 2006 to race a V8?

4, Hired Rockingham for a day in 2006 using the V8 2 seater?

Well?

RacingDRIVALS was the same person that announced he was going to run the cancer Clic Charity car to wasn't he??????????

Dude relax and let the people that know what they are doing run the show......

robbo43
16th February 2008, 02:15
Hey Guys,

You seem to be attacking a guy who has aspirations.

Was he a potential driver or series sponsor? Was the key to Ascar's success in his hands? Or was he just a fan with an idea that he realised he didn't have time to chase, and now that oval isn't on the card he's wishing he had helped a little more.

I got involved with a team for one race and apart for the team owner and a select few the rest of the crew seemed to want to follow their own agenda. That really turned me off. And so I decided to put other interests first.

To be a competitive motor racing team (let alone series) you need to be professional. What I witnessed on that weekend in 2006 was a bunch of schoolkids racing cars around an oval. And it only carries on in this post.

At the end of the day unless you are being paid to run the cars, or driving the car, or sponsor the car, other stuff is going to come first.

Anyhoo, I still reckon this year is going to be awesome for SCSA and will lay the foundation for a V8 racing series that will be taken seriously (both oval and track)

Cheers

Rob

racingrivalsDOT
16th February 2008, 03:31
yeah, there was a plan in place to run a car for CLIC. But what happened there? Was it my fault it fell through? Or was it somebody elses greed? CLIC ended up going with a team in another series and raised £150,000.

Do I need to help the series? no. Do I really need to drive in the series or run a car? no. I love oval racing and would love to see it work over here, but hey if it doesn't, America is only 8 hours on the plane!! Most of the PM's I have recieved seem to be telling me SCSA is a CLUB series. Obviously you guys are happy with that, fair play. Best of luck, but don't have a go at me for trying something new.

Henry Cutts
16th February 2008, 08:27
yeah, there was a plan in place to run a car for CLIC. But what happened there? Was it my fault it fell through? Or was it somebody elses greed? CLIC ended up going with a team in another series and raised £150,000.

Do I need to help the series? no. Do I really need to drive in the series or run a car? no. I love oval racing and would love to see it work over here, but hey if it doesn't, America is only 8 hours on the plane!! Most of the PM's I have recieved seem to be telling me SCSA is a CLUB series. Obviously you guys are happy with that, fair play. Best of luck, but don't have a go at me for trying something new.

Put together a viable business plan and funding and go to Rockingham/Eurospeedway/MSV later in the year when you have the dates let us know. They really would love to have your money.

I hope it works out

But as they say talk is cheap

Nick Brad
16th February 2008, 12:29

I believe it could well have been, yes. After all, your communication skills leave a lot to be desired. Do you even recall asking for a spotter last year for your ill fated team? Do you remember the guy who responded and said "yes, i'll do it, I have experience and it's for a good cause". That guy then proceeded to chase round sending you message after message and you didn't once respond and let him know what was going on. He had a choice, sit out on the sidelines for a year waiting to hear from you or make a deal with someone else. How do I know all this? Simple, I'm the guy you messed around. :mad:

Even so I thought, let's give him a chance, so I sent you a pm asking you what plans you had in mind, surprise surprise, no reply. I've had enough of you RacingDrivel, good day to you, i'll only concern myself with people who truely want to help the series in future.

Robbo43, we aren't attacking someone who simply had/has aspirations and didn't realise what it would take to fulfill them, this is a guy that shows up every year around this time bleating out the same stuff and never coming through with the goods. Duane is working very hard on making V8 Trophy work and simply cannot afford to waste time chasing other people's pipe dreams. This guy shows up and basically says we need to unite and make plans for the future, Duane's already done that and there's loads going on that I'm not even privy to atm, but it will all be announced when the time is right. I can understand why Duane would be unhappy and I really respect his restraint in the matter, how would you feel if someone came along and wrote off something you'd spent months achieving?

Abo
16th February 2008, 19:15
two cases of Millers

Pishead lol

Reynard
16th February 2008, 21:28
Watch yourself, Abo... ;)

Abo
16th February 2008, 21:59
woops

racing59
16th February 2008, 22:11
woops

Genuinely a Drafty comment.

As my friends from Deer Leap Holler would say...

A case of aaaaaaale, and a case of lager......

I must say that my latest rendition of Woodfordes Wherry is quite zschdrinkable.

Rob.

racing59
16th February 2008, 22:22
Hey Guys,

You seem to be attacking a guy who has aspirations.

No, this is a guy has failed to turn up for countless meetings. Someone so full of himself and his ideas, but someone who never comes up with anything other than what can only be described as a windup on the forum.

In internet forum circles, the activity is known as trolling, often by 13year-old oiks who use the sound "um" to begin every disjointed sentence.

I was going to ignore anything on this "subject", but I can't let this one go.

Ends.

Dave17
17th February 2008, 10:19
Why haven't the mods closed this thread, or is it legitimate trolling by RacingDrivals ;)

racing59
17th February 2008, 10:49
I have asked for it to be closed, yet it keeps going.....

Nick Brad
17th February 2008, 11:03
Well, whilst it's still open, maybe we can find out where the thread title came from?

After all, what did the content of the original post have to do with "SCSA Forum" apart from a brief couple of lines about where the thread should be placed. Maybe I'm just nit picking now though. :dozey:

kjb
17th February 2008, 12:29
well nick i thought about the thread being closed a while ago (after all the other posts were closed for far less a reason in my opinion) moderators are like bus's eh!!! if you know what i mean!

Reynard
17th February 2008, 13:00
I'm watching this thread, I assure you.

ready2rock
17th February 2008, 14:24
Reading all this, which is alot i must say, few things come to mind.
I used to come to every meeting in 2002/3/4, and loved it. Don't know really what happened after that but kept lurking on here and sometimes got the impression it was all going wrong.
BUT hearing the news about this year has actually got me wanting to come and watch again. Before, all the races were at Rockingham, which to be fair only attracted a local crowd. People from the extremities of the country weren't going to come to be fair were they?
Yet now, te series is effectively travelling the country. As it goes, and im sure the racing quality will be great, its going to attract followers. Every series does. If the grids now increase due to this, whats to say that the guys heading the championship can't then go back to Rockingham with a full grid of cars?
I think the Pick-ups ran a season with Oval and Circuit racing? Surely now the Ascars have started up on a run which could lead them onto the same thing.
Excuse me if im talking rubbish here, im only a fan of the series i don't know the ins and outs behind the scenes, but i personally think that those organising the series have made a step in completely the right direction. Well done to them and i for one look forward to making it to some meetings this year.

racing59
17th February 2008, 17:34
Look forward to seeing you.

Reynard - time for clunk click! Please.
(PS: what happened to the forum award prize certs?)

pickup
17th February 2008, 19:56
I think the Pick-ups ran a season with Oval and Circuit racing? Surely now the Ascars have started up on a run which could lead them onto the same thing.

We run Ovals and circuits every season!

The Pits!
17th February 2008, 20:56
to think "the pits" called ME a Troll a week or so ago! ha ha

Yes sorry about that :) racingrivalsdot is a much better example.....

........we all could learn a lot from him,

JovialJooles
17th February 2008, 22:39
Why haven't the mods closed this thread, or is it legitimate trolling by RacingDrivals ;)

It's the annual visit from racingrivalsDOT. Anyone who has been on this forum for a number of years is not going to take his posts seriously! Every year it is the same old same old.

For someone who supposedly has a plan for 'us' I find it amazing that even when it is pointed out - yet again - that Rockigham do not run the series and just charge a track fee, he keeps on using it as a part of his argument. Mind you, if he was serious in his plans, he would already know that wouldn't he? ;)

I thought his introduction of the 'we' was priceless! :rotflmao:

Why should I close a thread when I'm having so much fun? :D

The responses from everyone on here have clearly shown the history of racingrivalsDOT. I'm just surprised he keeps on going. :eek:

ready2rock
17th February 2008, 23:33
We run Ovals and circuits every season!

Well i was kinda right :)

I know the pick ups have great racing, and i think they are with the Dunlop Festival this year? (maybe at Rockingham i cant remember) but either way i'll be glad to see them again, the racing always was great :D

fastbob
18th February 2008, 07:17
Why should I close a thread when I'm having so much fun? :D

i don't think it would be right for the forum to be moderated by general consensus.... the mods should not be pressurised,it is at their discretion!!!

JovialJooles
18th February 2008, 08:39

to think "the pits" called me a TROLL a week or so ago! ha ha

I'd hardly call it Trolling.

Muppetry, yes...

but not trolling. :D

I have asked for it to be closed, yet it keeps going.....

Look forward to seeing you.

Reynard - time for clunk click! Please.
(PS: what happened to the forum award prize certs?)

As for closing the thread; I think Fastbob has already worked that one out. :p

Henry Cutts
18th February 2008, 08:52
You cant close the thread, I am still waiting for the fool-proof business plan that will make me millions!

JovialJooles
18th February 2008, 08:59
You cant close the thread, I am still waiting for the fool-proof business plan that will make me millions!

:cool: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

racing59
18th February 2008, 19:02

As your team owner, you may have 10% of it.

I shall have the rest for, perhaps, a new pair of trousers, as I am allowed at least one new pair each year.

And maybe some more runny yellow paint....

Gasman#99
18th February 2008, 19:15
You mean you can buy that funny yellow paint in tins rob, i can see it now, NEW ambrosia rice pudding paint-available in canary yellow at a diy shop near you now.

Henry Cutts
18th February 2008, 19:30
As your team owner, you may have 10% of it.

I shall have the rest for, perhaps, a new pair of trousers, as I am allowed at least one new pair each year.

I just knew I should have read the small print on that contract!
Do we have a back half of a car to paint yet?

kjb
18th February 2008, 19:49
i may have his chassis repaired shortly mate!

Henry Cutts
18th February 2008, 20:07

Thanks, Only 40 days to go! Don’t forget we need at least 2 weeks to get the right amount of paint slapped on to get the runs perfect.

racing59
18th February 2008, 20:17

(Sound FX.... hammers, saws, grinders, jacking, AC/DC loud on stereo)

Ahhh ripper!

shuz7
19th February 2008, 08:38
I'll get the kids to paint the car this year.

Nick Brad
19th February 2008, 09:26
Does that mean they'll look like Bart and Lisa Simpson at the first round when all the paint won't come off? ;)

racing59
19th February 2008, 18:51
Aye caramba!

Tiesse
21st February 2008, 07:22
After a few weeks away from the forum, I have just sat & read through this complete thread.

To the casual observer who has no idea of who racingdrivals is & the history behind some of the comments, it would be easy to look upon the thread as bullying.

If you guys feel so strongly about him, then don't reply.

As a casual observer myself, it initially looked as though he had genuine good intentions, however as this thread has delevoped, without knowing what has gone on behind the scenes with this guy it reflects badly on the rest of you (in my uninformed opinion).

Regarding closing the thread, I agree, it is not for anyone to request a thread to be closed, that is what the moderators are there for!

Dave17
22nd February 2008, 09:31
Regarding closing the thread, I agree, it is not for anyone to request a thread to be closed, that is what the moderators are there for!

Did anyone not notice the smily in my post........JEZ!

Tiesse
22nd February 2008, 10:38
Did anyone not notice the smily in my post........JEZ!

Did you not notice it is not only you who posted the comments! Also, unless you are directing your post to someone called Jez, I guess you meant to post JEEZ! ;)

Hopefully you take this post in the jovial manner it was intended! (Just realised that I am using far too many exclamation marks!!!!!)

All my previous post was pointing out was that I personally didn't enjoy the way that the thread had developed. I don't generally post that much in winter months here due to my chosen winter sport following of ice hockey & dip in to catch up on what is happening now & again (rather than most days during the summer).

The point I was making was that I had just sat & read through the whole thread whilst catching up on what was the latest news & generally didn't find the nature of the thread to my personal liking. That included the requests to close the thread, sorry if I missed your comments as being tongue in cheek.JEEZ! ;)