PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Singapore Grand Prix???

SuperAguri
12th January 2007, 19:08
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news/2007/01/12/singapore_gp_looking_more_likely/

Maybe another street race as early as next season?

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 19:48
Tilke is setting up the circuit too...intersting.

SuperAguri
12th January 2007, 20:36
I hope he doesn't go to desperate measure to ensure miles of runoff :D

schmenke
12th January 2007, 20:49
I assume that Singapore does not have anti-tobacco sponsorship laws? ;)

I've never been fond of street circuits. They typically make for poor television viewing :mark:

SuperAguri
12th January 2007, 21:59
Better in touring car racing in my opinion, Monaco, despite being prestigious, is way too impractical for modern Formula 1

And I wouldn't have thought the tobacco laws meant much, I thought the FIA banned tobacco advertising from Formula 1?

schmenke
12th January 2007, 22:02
...I thought the FIA banned tobacco advertising from Formula 1?

Have they already? I didn't realise that.

SuperAguri
12th January 2007, 22:05
That's why they Mild Seven and BAT pulled out I think, Philip Green has somehow managed to keep the Ferraris adorned in Marlboro

Ian McC
14th January 2007, 00:49
I've never been fond of street circuits. They typically make for poor television viewing :mark:

Not to mention poor overtaking.

msaxman
14th January 2007, 04:41
That's why they Mild Seven and BAT pulled out I think, Philip Green has somehow managed to keep the Ferraris adorned in Marlboro

he is able to because he only uses their colors, not their name or logo.

millencolin
14th January 2007, 15:10
i hope so... nothing beats a good ol street race (now you can see the inner champcar fan coming out)!!! plus its near my timezone, perhaps live coverage during the day?

Ranger
14th January 2007, 23:19
perhaps live coverage during the day?

Dream on :p : - Look at Shanghai and Suzuka last year - 7 and 8.5 hours of TV coverage delay respectively.

millencolin
15th January 2007, 00:33
Dream on :p : - Look at Shanghai and Suzuka last year - 7 and 8.5 hours of TV coverage delay respectively.

hence the key word perhaps

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2007, 07:26
I hope he doesn't go to desperate measure to ensure miles of runoff :D

Well, with the way Singapore is run, the Autocratic sort of dude who runs the place has the power to do what he wants does he not? Tilke with no runoff is like a day without rain, a good day I figure.

I hate Tilke tracks as a rule, and modern f1 designs just suck, but hey, maybe when forced to, he will get it right.

Tilke's dream street circuit would start with a bulldozer....

Ranger
15th January 2007, 09:32
I hate Tilke tracks as a rule, and modern f1 designs just suck, but hey, maybe when forced to, he will get it right.

Before anything else, have a look at the Istanbul Park track and the races they have produced over the past 2 years.

Ranger
17th January 2007, 08:37
Night race? (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17948.html)

ArrowsFA1
17th January 2007, 10:25
Tilke's dream street circuit would start with a bulldozer....
Here's one he's done for the Grand Prix Masters Race of Bucarest in May.

ShiftingGears
17th January 2007, 10:53
I don't expect anything other than a flat circuit with no flow from Tilke. The visibility issues if it is a night race will be interesting, though, that is unless Bernies gonna suck out Singapores electricity grid for the race.