PDA

View Full Version : Honda, Toyota and Long Beach conundrum

ChicagocrewIRL
11th February 2008, 23:24
from ::::http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=txdaytona500openwheel&prov=st&type=lgns
Yahoo Sports newswire Feb 11, 2008
Article by Bruce Martin - PA SportsTicker Contributing Editor

"Jim Aust of Toyota Research and Development (TRD) was involved with both CART and IndyCar before the company left both and now has all of its emphasis on NASCAR.

However, Toyota still sponsors the Long Beach Grand Prix and would love to see all the teams in open wheel racing there this April.

'I'm sure there is a lot yet to be finalized but we're looking forward to that possibility that the two open-wheel series can get all the cars to be at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach in mid-April," Aust said. "That's important to us as a sponsor.' "

The above statement seems awfully odd considering Toyota is footing the bill for putting on an event where all the cars are powered by its most bitter automotive industry rival. I can see where Honda stands to benefit running in Long Beach, but how in the world does Toyota benefit ?

I can see the full page ads in the USA Today the following monday of the race....... HONDA WINS TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH

Jonesi
12th February 2008, 00:29
from ::::http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=txdaytona500openwheel&prov=st&type=lgns

"Jim Aust of Toyota Research and Development (TRD) was involved with both CART and IndyCar before the company left both and now has all of its emphasis on NASCAR.

However, Toyota still sponsors the Long Beach Grand Prix and would love to see all the teams in open wheel racing there this April.

'I'm sure there is a lot yet to be finalized but we're looking forward to that possibility that the two open-wheel series can get all the cars to be at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach in mid-April," Aust said. "That's important to us as a sponsor.' "

The above statement seems awfully odd considering Toyota is footing the bill for putting on an event where all the cars are powered by its most bitter automotive industry rival. I can see where Honda stands to benefit running in Long Beach, but how in the world does Toyota benefit ?

I can see the full page ads in the USA Today the following monday of the race....... HONDA WINS TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH

Toyota's Southern California car dealers started the sponsorship in '79, long before Toyota entered F1, Cart, etc. When Toyota announced they were withdrawing from CC, the dealers told Toyota they wanted to continue sponsoring LBGP. A lot of B2B promotion is done in the hospitality areas there. It's nice if there are Toyotas in the featured race and better if they win, but it's not a necessity at all.

!!WALDO!!
12th February 2008, 01:03
Here is to solution for 2008. Everyone goes to Homestead but the ICS goes to Japan and the CCWS goes to Long Beach with Dallara Hondas. Both races pay points so it helps the CCWS get into the points. It has happened before where two point races were held on the same day with equal points. So this could solve the problem, be cost effective and solve the two race deal.

EagleEye
12th February 2008, 01:45

The LBGP has been sponsored by Toyota for a long time. They actually were a title sponsor for the race prior to entering CART. Honda, Ford and Chevy days, so it is not odd at all.

Honda at one time sponsored the race in Laguna Seca, prior to Mazda buying the rights ot the track, and Toyota also sponsored the California 500.

No biggie at all.

ChicagocrewIRL
12th February 2008, 01:47
The LBGP has been sponsored by Toyota for a long time. They actually were a title sponsor for the race prior to entering CART. Honda, Ford and Chevy days, so it is not odd at all.

Honda at one time sponsored the race in Laguna Seca, prior to Mazda buying the rights ot the track, and Toyota also sponsored the California 500.

No biggie at all.

Right but at least all those events had Toyotas running in them vying for the hardware. Also, the absence of any other manufacturers other than Toyota's most bitter industry rival, makes this a unique and weird situation.