PDA

View Full Version : Dp01 09 ?

seppefan
11th February 2008, 15:16
Where are all the old Lola's and Reynards from CART or ChampCar?

I wonder what will happen to the DP01's ?

Is their a race series in North Amecia where they can race?

clydekart
11th February 2008, 15:42
A Canadian should buy the DP01's and start an all Canadian series that would include Toronto,Calgary, Edmonton, Mosport, Montreal, Mt. Treblant, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and a couple more.

MAX_THRUST
11th February 2008, 16:08
All the old Reynards (alot of then any way) went to the Masters GP series, where they were modified to take a normally aspirated engine.... What the IRL should have done after the 96 season.

As for the Lola's who knows. It would be great to see all three race each other but it will never happen, not for at least another 20 years when they become historic racers.

Chris R
11th February 2008, 16:13
How many DP-01's are there anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 20-222 serviceable units out there..... So, while it might stink if you owned a couple of them - it is not like there are 100 of them that need somewhere to race.....

Best bet for the long haul is to let go of the DP-01- we hardly got to know it anyway. If the combined series expects to prosper it is going to have to come up with a new formula that allows a little more design creativity anyway. I hope the Indycar of 2010 looks nothing much like either the Dallara or DP-01 - a real fresh start......

Also, for what it is worth - if you really want both chassis and engines it would seem to me an equivalency formula would be pretty effective for a year or so anyway.....

BobGarage
11th February 2008, 16:19
How many DP-01's are there anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 20-222 serviceable units out there.....

there were 29 at last count. (plus the original test car that moreno ran)

conquest have ordered another one, but from reports I've read its unclear whether that is a used one or a brand new one.

cartpix
11th February 2008, 16:25
What happened to all the Swifts, when Reynard became the chassis of choice. They just become "old race cars". It's a fact of life, in racing. There was a time when you could buy a D-Type Jag, for a song. Many other million dollar (today) cars, were available cheap.

Jeff

bblocker68
11th February 2008, 16:32
Use the DP-09's (or make a DP-10) for 2010 and retro-fit the Dp-01's to adhere to the new specs.

I have a feeling I'm going to be repeating this quite allot.

dataman1
11th February 2008, 16:45
I read comments about old chassis being brought back into service. Does anyone really know how long a carbon fiber tub can sit around and still have racing integrity (i.e. handle high speed oval crashes)? I know some old chassis are raced in road course events but I don't recall hearing of any in oval racing.

Can the old tub integrity be checked? Look for old damage, cracks, etc..?

Chris R
11th February 2008, 16:53
We need to let go of the old cars - 2009 or 2010 needs to see a completely new concept on AOWR - some have suggested high tech front engine car - or a rear engine car with less downforce but more power. Whatever it is, it needs to be different than what either series is running now while still paying homage to the history of AOWR.

The formula for 2009/2010 on should be something along these lines:
- all cars must meet certain safety/crash test standards
- all cars must have a wheelbase and track in a certain range
- all cars must fit in a specific-size box (you can control a lot this way)
- all cars must meet a fuel economy standard (and a pretty tight one at that). and all cars must run on series supplied fuel...
- all teams are limited to a set number of car related personnel (they can have as many PR sorts as they like) at races and test sessions (if you control how many people can work on a car you indirectly control lots of other really expensive things)...
-all teams must be able to pack everything they need to run their cars in a pre-defined amount of space (also an indirect way to control costs)

Otherwise, turn-em loose and see what happens..... it'll be way more interesting than anything we have seen in a while.....