PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Walker interview???

Toymaker
10th February 2008, 21:48
Can anyone give us the link to the Derrick Walker interview on Indianapolis TV that shows his new Dallara in the background? AR1 is talking about this and I would like to see it to believe it.

nanders
10th February 2008, 21:53
Can anyone give us the link to the Derrick Walker interview on Indianapolis TV that shows his new Dallara in the background? AR1 is talking about this and I would like to see it to believe it.

Don't be surprised if AOWR news knocks Daytona off the front page on the Speed report tonight. maybe.

bblocker68
11th February 2008, 16:58
I missed Speed Report last night. Any news??

Henry Cutts
11th February 2008, 17:05
Autosport is reporting that Walker/TA looks like going to the IRL even if there is no merger:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65083

gofastandwynn
11th February 2008, 17:22
This is the transcript take from another website: Interview part 1

DF: Well the two sides are close to becoming one. IRL founder Tony George, Champcar owner, co-owner if you will, Kevin Kalkoven, the future of open wheel racing at stake this very hour. Remarkable and very honored to have Derrick Walker, champcar car owner and Robin, are you up late? Are you OK?
RM: Yeah, your not honored to have me, I'm just here filling, I'm a filler.
DF: Robin Miller from Speed.com. No your not, don't say that.
RM: All right, brother.
DF: So here we are it is approx. what time in Japan?
RM: It is approx. 1 o'clock in Jthe afternoon in Japan and they started their meeting this morning about 9:30 Tokyo time.
DF: Tony George IRL founder, Brian Barnhart the president, Terry Angsteht, Robert Clarke from Honda, what are they prospects here to finally get this thing together.
RM: My theory, I told Derrick what my theory was, my theory is I don't think they flew all the way the there on the Fcom(?). I think they have some kind of plan in place. And I think Honda can be hero here. Honda can get all kinds of great publicity. Honda's the one that made the decision to put open wheel racing back together after 12 years. And I think, Robert Clarke's been trying to put it togther himself for two years and Derrick's had a lot of conversations with him. So, you know I think we're still all hopeful that that's what happens and I think we'll all find out in the next 24 hours.
DF: You've been a guy, Derrick, thats always been wanting to see unification happen. Do you think this is the final straw here. Are we all the verge of this finally happening?
DW: Well until it happens I guess we don't know if it is.
DF: Like the boy that cried wolf?
DW: But, it certainly sounds like the closes.
DF: Yeah? You really think so?
DW: Yeah I think its the closes that we ever got to it. And it seems like there is a general willingness on the part of both sides to pull it all together. So lets hope it is.
DF: What do you make of Tony George's effort. And we got video of Tony. What do you make of his effort in all of this? Are you suprised that he is the one that has kind of thrown of this olive branch, right now.
DW: No not really, because if you look at the IRL, you know, it has established itself, but I think it needs to build the series up and it needs champcar involved. So it needs everybody back together again. When you look at the hay day of open wheel racing it when we're all one series. I think he needs it as much as champ car does really.
DF: No one's winning in this thing.
RM: Derrick's right. Look, champcar's, you know, they got 15, 16, 17 cars. The IRL's got 14, 15, 16 cars. Obviously Tony's spent a lot of money keeping the IRL going. Kalkoven and Forsthye have spent a fortune in the last four years keeping it going. And I think Kalkoven for one is not making money like Forsthye does any more. And I think Tony makes enough money off the Brickyard to keep the IRL going. I think Kalkoven said this is enough. I am tired of bleeding. And I think thats what kind of brought this thing to the floor right now. But I do think its going to make the Indianapolis 500 better. Its going to make bumping actually mean something again to make the race. And it will make the races better. You can have 24, 25 cars on a race. And you can actually see who the best driver is again instead of wondering.
DF: You got, well both of you have been to Motegi obviously. They can come out looking like the hero.
DW: Sure. Absolutely.
DF: Can they not?
DW: Yeah.
DF: Will they bend?
DW: Um, I think they would be crazy not too. Because it good for racing. Its good for the track. Its good for Honda. I mean, this date is just a date. I mean there's are a lot people giving a lot of things to make this happen. So if the track moves the date, it a relatively simple thing.
DF: In your opinion what would it take for them to understand how big this is here in the states for them to move the race date?
DW: Well, I think they understand. I think the fact that everybody's flown there is a jester to sit down to do eyeball to eyeball. I think that is an important move in terms of demonstrating the willingness and the importance of this. So I think they get the message, I am sure.
DF: What kind of options are you hearing about Robin? If any.
RM: Well, I don't know. I haven't heard any options, but there's lots of options. There's early August and they would still be parts of the championship because the IRL season has to end Chicago. So they can do that. Or they can even say lets just take a year off in Motegi. Its not like its really important to the Japanese economy. They give away 30,000 tickets for God's sakes. And its two hours from Tokyo. Who cares. So that race, they only reason they have that race is because Honda owns it and its kind of the tradition we've got to do the right thing for Honda here. So hopefully Honda will do the right thing in this situation.
DF: Check out this quote that Kevin Kalkoven sent out on Friday afternoon once this thing all sort of debubbled if you will. Uh, "Unfortunately, leaks and media reports about a possible unification has significantly hampered discussions. Discussions are at a standstill we are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car." I read this as a bunch of bull.
RM: Well there was only one media report and that was mine and yours.
DF: Yeah
RM: And guess what. The guy that leaked it two year ago to Autoweek was Paul Gentollozi. Who just happens to be a Champcar owner. So this, and I talked to Kalkoven about five times on Wednesday and about six times on Thursday and he went from saying Gerry Forsthye and I are all for this to telling the Indianapolis Star its irreplible damaged because of this report. And then the next day he said well Japan's still on. It still really hinges on whether Motegi goes away. If it does we'll have a deal. If not we don't have a deal. I mean this guy can't even keep his lies straight. He's told so many in the last week, he's not sure what the truth is.
DF: You've dealt a lot with all the owners.
DW: Yeah, sure
DF: Forsthye, Gentollozi, Kalkoven. Who do you trust?
DW: Well I wouldn't go as far as Robin would.
DF: Let me put you on the spot here.
DW: No, I think they tried. They really tried hard to make the series right. And um, when you're dealing with this sensitive discussions the last thing you want is for it to be aired out in the media until its done. So its probably just an honest attempt to slow it all down and give it a chance. But I think they are trying real hard:
RM: Tell them you quote. You gave me a good quote.
DW: What?
RM: About that whole thing. When you said the other day. It was in my story. You said look give both sides credit for trying to do this thing. But also give them credit for finally coming to their senses and trying to put this thing together. Because enoughs enough.
DW: Well, come to their senses? You know, I think everyone has come to their senses. Lets face it. The IRL has come to the realization that its important as well.
DF: Tell you what were going to do. We are going to take a quick break here. Much more with Derrick and Robin Miller.

gofastandwynn
11th February 2008, 17:23
Part 2

DF: Once again back on Sunday's sports extra. Derrick Walker, Robin Miller, we're talking about the impending or pending merger between the IRL and Champcar. They are meeting right now. They are probably having saki and sushi.
RM: Ha. Lots of saki.
DF: Open wheel fans in general have had a lot of saki during the last 13 years.
RM: Had a lot of sucky.
DF: How difficult, well first things first. You have been in champcar for 17 years.
DW: As a team owner.
DF: As a team owner. Um, are you suprised its taken this long before things have gotten to this point.
DW: I am. Not because of people needing to coming to some agreement. But I've been suprised both series have lasted alone. Seperately. Financially and abiable to any degree.
DF: I don't about viability?
DW: Well thats what has finally caught up with it. But you know I really thought that it wouldn't have last this long because of that reason rather than common sense.
DF: This is video from your shop on Friday. You had a Dallara. This is a Kent Baker machine that PJ Jones drove in the Indy 500 last year. Ok, so we have a Dallara and a quote unquote champcar shop. What do we make of this?
DW: Um, I would like to think we're one step of my other teammates in the champcar series. No, I have been working on an IRL program for sometime. So this was just part of our education. I asked the IRL if they knew somebody that had a car and would let us look at it. So Kent was good enough to let us have it. So we've been looking at it and trying to understand what its all about.
DF: Will you go to the IRL regardless, this year?
DW: Um, the only thing that stops me from being in the IRL and champcar. Or champcar and IRL is financial. You raise the money, your in open wheel racing. We race, not because I am red or white or political in any way. Um, so its really a financial one. We are working very hard on some sponsorship and hope to be able to pull it off.
DF: So if you get the finances you will be in both?
DW: Oh yeah, Absolutely.
DF: Take a look at Danica Patrick. Obviously, outside of Helio Castroneves she has kind of been the central figure in open wheel racing, Robin. Now there is a weight rule that's going to be instituded this year. And obviously, since Danica weighs 100 pounds soaking wet. Its going to effect her the most.
RM: Well, Derrick remembers when. I mean he had Gil De Ferran for a while and Gil's a pretty big guy. Paul Tracy use to moan and ***** all the time about the DaMatta weighed 110 pound and he weighed 190. We told him to quit eating ice cream and start doing some sit ups. But every major racing series in the world has a weight rule, I believe. And this will be the final one to add
DF: This is the last one. Lets hear from Brian Barnhart and Danica about this rule. Its going to be awful big headind into the Indycar series season.
BB: I don't this thing to be viewed as Danica rule. It is clearly not.
DF: Are you worried about that?
BB: No, I mean. No, but the fact that you mention that its the first person you thought of. That's what everyone is going to think.
DF: Right.
BB: And it clearly isn't. Its the direction the series is gone with a third of our events on road and street races. Its our obligation to provide as level of platform as possible.
DP: I mean they can do whatever they want. They are the ones that make the rules. But I still think that if it made a big enough difference that, you know, I obviously would have gone out and won a whole bunch of races. Qualified on pole every time. Obviously, I am losing what could be called an advantage. Um, but like I said if it made that big of a difference I would have done a whole lot of things that were in first place.
DF: Big deal? Or not a big deal?
DW: Yeah, particarly on the road courses. Less so on the ovals. But huge advantage on the road courses, yeah.
DF: Ok we got about a minute left or so. Are we talking about a merger tomorrow morning? Or are we gonna.
RM: Well I am going to stay up pretty late. Because the moment I get some kind of a text message or something. Because I keep sending Tony emails. What's going on. What happened? Um, and you know, its the biggest story in racing in the last decade. And its got to happen I hope. Because we can't go, you know this is interesting. Paul Newman has got a lot of interest but he's really concerned. I was talking to him the other day and he said well maybe we should wait a year. And I said why would you want to wait one more year and have to series that are going no where fast. No one pays attention to. This will be such a big story it will actually cut into some of NASCAR's PR this year. There is going to be one series and the Indy 500 might actually have some real bumping this year.
DF: Well the good ol boys were talking about this the other day during media day. About this merger. Its nice that open wheel racing has become tangable again.
DW: Yeah.
DF: Its got to happen know?
DW: Yeah. If it doesn't happen this time around it won't be long. I mean I would think it has to happen this time. Too late.
RM: Derrick and I are going to start our own series. Go ahead and tell them Derrick. Tell them!
DF: The Walker/Miller series?
RM: The Walker/Miller series. You got a go kart you are in.
DF: We got your first helmet right here. Derrick Walker, Robin Miller thank so much for coming in.
DW: Thank you
RM: You got it Davey.
DF: And braving the cold weather.

Chaparral66
11th February 2008, 17:43
I guess now we keep an eye on the Indy Star website.

seppefan
11th February 2008, 17:44
Many thanks

mikiec
11th February 2008, 21:41
Here's a link to an interview with RM on Speed TV.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1329255514/bctid1413070328

You'll need Flash to view it.

Breeze
11th February 2008, 23:13
What do I take from that interview. Robin Miller is a bitter, belligerent and undiplomatic man. Plus, I think he just might hate Kevin K.

Champcar4life
11th February 2008, 23:23

If it was on here local, then you can to check WTRH.com, WRTV.com, WISH TV.com, or Fox 59.com/Indianapolis, which are the local NBC, ABC and CBS networks, plus Fox, or also try the Indychannel.com

jimispeed
12th February 2008, 00:11
What do I take from that interview. Robin Miller is a bitter, belligerent and undiplomatic man. Plus, I think he just might hate Kevin K.

Ya'think???

Yeah, that was obvious. I didn't get the feeling that DW wanted to get out of Champcar like so many of whoever you are say though!!

Cart750hp
12th February 2008, 00:12
Reading that transcript, what happened to Derrick Walker's loyalty to CC? Didn't he suppose to say, "I am not going to IRL"?

Wonder what happened or what went on?

Chaparral66
12th February 2008, 00:18

Bitter? Belligerent? Undiplomatic? You gotta be kidding me. Please explain.

SoCalPVguy
12th February 2008, 00:58
Originally Posted by Breeze http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=424263#post424263)[/ What do I take from that interview. Robin Miller is a bitter, belligerent and undiplomatic man. Plus, I think he just might hate Kevin K.

I find your post insulting to Mr. Miller. He works every day under his given name for all to see and you write unfounded slanderous things about him using an anonymous psuedoname. I think we may have found Sanguin's new screen name.

Chaparral66
12th February 2008, 01:54
It's certainly ridiculous to say Robin Miller hates KK, or even TG. Miller the reporter just reports on their shananigans, while Miller the open wheel fan is frustrated at the incompetence both have shown over the time of the split. But hate? Who's got time to hate? Miller's got enough to do just trying to make sense of and keep up with this latest unification circus...