PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Merger to Be Short-Lived?

994ever
10th February 2008, 19:30
Since most are agreed that the IRL has now become a copy of CART (albeit a somewhat inferior one) and CART was everything that Tony George said was wrong about ow racing and why he created the IRL, are we in for another split?

Will Mr. George see the one series that has been created and decide that he's going to create his own series again? What potential issues might arise in this "second split" seeing as Mr. George would be in charge of both series?

fan-veteran
10th February 2008, 19:51
Everything is possible in principle. Basically TG started his IRL in 1996 using his own IMS and another 2 ovals which were not part of the CART (Phoenix was but not in 1996 because switched to IRL). Then he added ovals from NASCAR. So it was more like founding of new series based around I500 than "a split". But these are oddments. I mean a businessman (or a wealthy person) can start his own series if he has money and a plan (and perhaps more, a track for example :) ).

Chaparral66
10th February 2008, 20:05
Since most are agreed that the IRL has now become a copy of CART (albeit a somewhat inferior one) and CART was everything that Tony George said was wrong about ow racing and why he created the IRL, are we in for another split?

Will Mr. George see the one series that has been created and decide that he's going to create his own series again? What potential issues might arise in this "second split" seeing as Mr. George would be in charge of both series?

Tony George won't break off from his beloved IRL to start yet another major league open wheel series. If anything, if the current crop of Champ Car teams don't like what's going on under King George, they may leave after a year or two and join either ALMS or Grand Am. Most of the positive buzz in non-NASCAR racing lately has been in sportscar racing, and teams like Fernandez, Andretti-Green, Rahal-Letterman, Cheever, and the newly un-retired Gil DeFerran have found a home with those two series. We also should take note, as TG should, that the fans aren't stupid; just because TG may have found a way to get open wheel racing under his control doesn't necessarily means the fans will come rushing back. I know I have said repeatedly in many other threads that this is the only way to get them back, but how the unification comes together is just as important as the fact of it happening at all. If people percieve that TG finally and obsessively got his way, that's not enough. All that means is that in a clash of rich egos, TG got it. If it were a thoroughly negotiated deal where each series had their series' legacy fairly represented, that would different, since it would be very clear that the interests of the fans of both series were carefully considered. Perception isn't everything with this situation, it's the only thing. The fans spoke loudly over the time of this split that they didn't like what was happening, and I think that could happen again.

Miatanut
10th February 2008, 21:12

The IRL was not created to create an oval racing series with "more of an American flavor". It was created to bring down CART. Period!

The only way there would be a new split is if the teams told Tony "We get a seat at the table or we walk." Hard to see that showdown happening until the teams got financially much healthier. If the manufacturers decided to return and join with the teams to get seats at table, that could speed things along. Tony will do anything he can to keep the rest of the schedule crippled so Indy is the only thing that matters.

I expect open wheel to be in the shadow of ALMS and GrandAm for years, since the manufacturers seem to be happy there.

Chaparral66
10th February 2008, 21:33
[quote="Miatanut"]The IRL was not created to create an oval racing series with "more of an American flavor". It was created to bring down CART. Period!

Tell 'em about it, Miatanut.