Hybrid View

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    Your statistics are slightly faulty. The only true representation of compliance would be if all the cars were checked at the same time/place. There are too many other variables between tracks, elevation of same, set up of cars, etc. Otherwise it's let's see what we can get away with this weekend - after all there is only a one or two in (number of races this season) that we'll get caught.
    The numbers are valid, and personally I don't think they just randomly found cars out of spec. People can disagree if they want, but in almost 30 years with only 3 cars DQ'd over the issue, I think compliance is the norm.

Not that I disagree at all that true compliance can only be guaranteed if all cars are checked all the time. That is the case with any scrutineering, and always will be. Some of the more invasive procedures will all take time, and probably more money, for them to do this.

In the case of the plank checks, I would think they could come up with a way to make the inspections easier and quicker, but as usual get bogged down in the details and make it slower.

2. Likes: Bagwan (31st October 2023)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    The numbers are valid, and personally I don't think they just randomly found cars out of spec. People can disagree if they want, but in almost 30 years with only 3 cars DQ'd over the issue, I think compliance is the norm.

Not that I disagree at all that true compliance can only be guaranteed if all cars are checked all the time. That is the case with any scrutineering, and always will be. Some of the more invasive procedures will all take time, and probably more money, for them to do this.

In the case of the plank checks, I would think they could come up with a way to make the inspections easier and quicker, but as usual get bogged down in the details and make it slower.
    That is the answer they need .
    The titanium skid blocks should be mandated to be removeable in quick order so that they are easily measured .

It also should be noted that the excuse given was blaming the sprint race format for not allowing set-up time .

4. Likes: airshifter (31st October 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    That is the answer they need .
    The titanium skid blocks should be mandated to be removeable in quick order so that they are easily measured .

It also should be noted that the excuse given was blaming the sprint race format for not allowing set-up time .
    And in this case, I think "excuse" is the proper term. They have loads of data, and just got it wrong, or possibly intentionally pushed the setup too far.

Some sharp eyes on other forums have noted that Merc admits that they rarely run a full fuel load in practice sessions, where most teams do. Just this data point alone seems it would be fairly important in determining minimum ride height.

Either way, I don't think the inspection was random myself, at least not on the two cars found in violation.

6. Likes: Bagwan (1st November 2023)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    And in this case, I think "excuse" is the proper term. They have loads of data, and just got it wrong, or possibly intentionally pushed the setup too far.

Some sharp eyes on other forums have noted that Merc admits that they rarely run a full fuel load in practice sessions, where most teams do. Just this data point alone seems it would be fairly important in determining minimum ride height.

Either way, I don't think the inspection was random myself, at least not on the two cars found in violation.
    As I understand it , the cars first scrutinized were flagged for displaying a lot of sparking from the undertray .
    Once they found both to have failed the test , they chose two more and they both passed .

I believe it was explained during the Sky coverage .
    It was not random at all , but rather targeted , and logically so .

8. Likes: airshifter (1st November 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    As I understand it , the cars first scrutinized were flagged for displaying a lot of sparking from the undertray .
    Once they found both to have failed the test , they chose two more and they both passed .

I believe it was explained during the Sky coverage .
    It was not random at all , but rather targeted , and logically so .
    And if we look at the source of the Sky coverage as a valid source, then it completely changes the picture.

One could say that 100% of the flagged or suspected cars failed the test, and 100% of the non flagged cars tested passed the test.

By covering the front of the field, the knee jerk responses of the leaders not being checked was put to rest before even being stated.

I think they could change things to make checks easier, but it seems to me that they have a good grip on when violations might be taking place.

10. Likes: Bagwan (2nd November 2023)