Page 18 of 96 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 12,161 Times in 5,215 Posts
    All the Estonian newspapers going crazy (with crazy I mean it's the main article at the moment in the morning) today saying Tänak to Toyota is very likely. They all are actually quoting Finnish newspaper iltan-sanomat which has the original story.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 26th July 2017 at 08:51.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: AnttiL (26th July 2017),dimviii (26th July 2017),pantealex (26th July 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    All the Estonian newspapers going crazy (with crazy I mean it's the main article at the moment in the morning) today saying Tänak to Toyota is very likely. They all are actually quoting Finnish newspaper iltan-sanomat which has the original story.
    http://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000005303339.html

This article basically says they're using the 1+1 options for both Latvala and Lappi, and "an inside source" says Tänak is "the most probably choice for Toyota", and Hänninen continuing would be "as big a surprise as VW making a comeback"

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Tommi said yesterday in interview that he is lookin for new drivers, note he said drivers not driver
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

5. Likes: er88 (26th July 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Tommi said yesterday in interview that he is lookin for new drivers, note he said drivers not driver
    in which media? link?

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

This article basically says they're using the 1+1 options for both Latvala and Lappi, and "an inside source" says Tänak is "the most probably choice for Toyota", and Hänninen continuing would be "as big a surprise as VW making a comeback"
    Even if they signed someone I doubt it will be announced before later in the season. That said the article can be just speculation.

Anyway Tanak is (apart from Ogier) the most likely choice indeed. Very much also due to other reasons than speed (which using Ogier in same car is comparable):
    1. He developed the Fiesta and has very good knowledge of it.
    2. Being from just across the bay would be practical and welcome for both Toyota and him (dunno where Tanak lives now, but clearly his co-driver has newborn son in Estonia).

This is very much similar to Toyota picking Latvala over Mikkelsen even though Mikkelsen had much better 2016 in same car.

Ogier is probably not likely at Toyota due to Latvala (ref. Latvala's interview at end of 2016 where he said how he lost his confidence trying to match Ogier in everything). Now Latvala has shown he can still win rallies/fight for win. Also Ogier is not dominant and the only options he has left for next year (Citroen or M-Sport) are not likely to make him dominate based on recent results.

Anyway if Tanak at Toyota is true, it might have interesting implications:

- Ford is not coming back or bringing only limited money and Malcolm is letting Tanak go and getting a "cheap/paying" driver so he can keep Ogier
    - Ogier is going to Citroen (not so likely imo), and Malcolm is going for a "make money" year after using a lot of money on Ogier and development this year

8. Likes: AnttiL (26th July 2017)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

While it would be no surprise if Tänak is to join TGR, it must be said that the writer of this article, Janne Aittoniemi, is one of the (if not the) worst motorsport journalists in the history. Usually his stories are copied elsewhere and have absolutely zero dignity.

Hänninen said himself today in Finnish morning TV-show (YLE) that the next two rallies (Finland and Germany) will determine whether he'll drive next year or not. Ok... if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Latvala-Lappi-Tänak to be the TGR drivers for 2018. But is it going to be a three-car team next year as well...?

10. Likes: AnttiL (26th July 2017),pantealex (26th July 2017),Rally Power (26th July 2017)
    Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Latvala-Lappi-Tänak seems the ideal for Toyota from many points of view but it remains to be seen if it will happen. If it does it would be a really strong line-up, possibly the strongest.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Hänninen said himself today in Finnish morning TV-show (YLE) that the next two rallies (Finland and Germany) will determine whether he'll drive next year or not. Ok... if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Latvala-Lappi-Tänak to be the TGR drivers for 2018. But is it going to be a three-car team next year as well...?
    Reading between the lines it seems that Tommi has given Hanninen an ultimatum - clearly if he doesn't keep his TGR seat there isn't going to be an alternative. It is possible that a 4th car could materialise but I'd expect that to be earmarked for one of the Japanese drivers.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 5,528 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Ogier and Suninen in Ford is the most likely team. 3rd Evans

Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts
    M-Sport to fight to keep Ogier...
    https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...to-keep-ogier/

15. Likes: Andre Oliveira (26th July 2017)