Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,521 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    Are you suggesting that Europe has not the landscape, history or capacity to stage a dozen WRC calibre events?
    Are you still ignoring that an FIA World Championship can't be held only in Europe...? Do you honestly believe that new manufacturers will join your European Championship because the main thing keeping other manufacturers out of the WRC now are the costs associated with the events held outside of Europe?

This is such a pointless discussion...
    Last edited by the sniper; 30th August 2017 at 05:38.

2. Likes: Grundo Farb (30th August 2017)
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post

This is such a pointless discussion...
    Finally a sensible statement! Trying to have a reasoned non-pedantic discussion with Sollitt is like trying to pick Mercury up off a stainless steel bench.

Impossible.

The WRC needs variety and interest. I struggle to understand how Hyundai's young driver program only has Europeans in it. Was that because they could all drive there for an interview? Seems to have been a major factor. Irrespective there is a problem with the sport when at the pinnacle a Top Manufacturer has 8 of the most promising new drivers - from one continent....

4. Likes: the sniper (30th August 2017)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    A small piece in MN today with Yves Matton questioning WRC Promoter and saying the championship doesn't have a 'clear global view'. And that it needs someone to assess the value that each new rally brings to the table. Or reading between the lines - communicate that with the teams.

For what it's worth he said he'd have added New Zealand due to it's historical significance in the championship, and also the great scenery/pictures it provides.

Not really a lot of other news in MN. I think everyone is on holiday.

EDIT: Australia secures funding for another three years - https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...vernment-deal/
    Last edited by Simmi; 30th August 2017 at 10:05.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    I struggle to understand how Hyundai's young driver program only has Europeans in it. Was that because they could all drive there for an interview? Seems to have been a major factor. Irrespective there is a problem with the sport when at the pinnacle a Top Manufacturer has 8 of the most promising new drivers - from one continent....
    They are already running a Korean junior driver in R5. And that's going really great for them...

Genuine question through, which drivers from outside Europe deserved a place more than the guys they picked? Meaning they'd have to be competitive in WRC2 next year.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

7. Likes: pantealex (30th August 2017)
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    They are already running a Korean junior driver in R5. And that's going really great for them...

Genuine question through, which drivers from outside Europe deserved a place more than the guys they picked? Meaning they'd have to be competitive in WRC2 next year.
    Precisely my point. There are only European drivers exposed as the WRC never goes anywhere else. I could name 3 top drivers from Australia and New Zealand but you would never have heard of them. Why? because they aren't in a WRC feeder series. Does that mean they aren't as good? No.

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Rally Australia with government funding for three years...

How exciting.

Not! *rolls eyes*
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

10. Likes: AndyRAC (30th August 2017)
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    A shame Perth couldn't get the funding; a unique ball bearing surface, the Bunnings stages (now called something else) and an event which had a party atmosphere. Instead we get the current damp squib....marvellous...

and NZ can't get in the WRC.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: janvanvurpa (7th September 2017),steve.mandzij (30th August 2017)
    Liked 1,440 Times in 825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    A shame Perth couldn't get the funding; a unique ball bearing surface, the Bunnings stages (now called something else) and an event which had a party atmosphere. Instead we get the current damp squib....marvellous...

and NZ can't get in the WRC.
    Didn't they stop the funding of the event because of them wanting to save planet earth or something?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Do you honestly believe that new manufacturers will join your European Championship because the main thing keeping other manufacturers out of the WRC now are the costs associated with the events held outside of Europe?
    I'm suggesting it's a possibility. have you asked them?
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    Trying to have a reasoned non-pedantic discussion with Sollitt is like trying to pick Mercury up off a stainless steel bench. .
    Only if you're incapable of rational discussion. The only suggestion I have made is to apply an age old well proven principle that if you cut costs you will increase participation. It's a no brainer - a proven formula.
    The response ... spurious, emotive nonsense and misquotations.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.