Page 113 of 263 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2630
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    You think driving a car for 10kms or 50kms with hundred of turns, the brain being used so much, the physical way the car moves is nothing... you're comparing a rally driver to a pilot. Of course they don't do much - push buttons, use their feet and hands. No need to be physically fit. Just hop in and take off!
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 1,091 Times in 489 Posts
    But why do you think racing drivers classify as athletes? Just because they are fit and their body has to endure physical stresswhich they don't directly generate themselves?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    But why do you think racing drivers classify as athletes? Just because they are fit and their body has to endure physical stresswhich they don't directly generate themselves?
    They don't turn the wheel or push the brake pedal themselves? Have you any idea how much force it takes to get an F1 car stopped for example?

Definition of an "athlete": a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

I'm with Matt on this. 100% these guys are athletes. Google 'Nismo Athlete' and you'll see this is the way Nissan refer to their works drivers.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    It's like arguing with NOT but siding with NOT but knowing others are wrong. haha
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
    If Chess is a Sport... Why Rally Racing or Rallyng doesn't?

May be because we have on minda the image of J KKK smoking a cigarrete before a SS
    Jesus Christ, Kris!!! (Not again)

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    They don't turn the wheel or push the brake pedal themselves? Have you any idea how much force it takes to get an F1 car stopped for example?

Definition of an "athlete": a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

I'm with Matt on this. 100% these guys are athletes. Google 'Nismo Athlete' and you'll see this is the way Nissan refer to their works drivers.
    I find it disappointing that you reduce the skill of a rallydriver to nothing more than physical agility, stamina and physical strength. I would say the skills of a rallydriver are things like coordination, balance, anticipation, risk-assement and intelligence. None of these things are captured in the word 'athlete'.

Quote Originally Posted by rayh_mx View Post
    If Chess is a Sport... Why Rally Racing or Rallyng doesn't?

May be because we have on minda the image of J KKK smoking a cigarrete before a SS
    Chess is not a sport it is a game. An extremely difficult game yes, but still a game.

Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1 View Post
    You think driving a car for 10kms or 50kms with hundred of turns, the brain being used so much, the physical way the car moves is nothing... you're comparing a rally driver to a pilot. Of course they don't do much - push buttons, use their feet and hands. No need to be physically fit. Just hop in and take off!
    In many languages, like Dutch and French for example, the word for racing drivers is actually 'pilot'.

Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    Chess is not a sport it is a game. An extremely difficult game yes, but still a game.
    Chess is considered an Olympic sport.

https://www.olympic.org/world-chess-federation
    Jesus Christ, Kris!!! (Not again)

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Is a great taxi driver, who knows the city without GPS, also an athlete? I'm with John on this one. Pushing pedals and turning a wheel don't make anyone an athlete, even if they spend rest of their time training.

Also there's professional athletes and athletes.
    Thanks Franky.....I seem to be having trouble making clear my question is a 2 part question IF this....then what is that?

If rally drivers are "athletes" then, what to call runners who run 1500m or sprint 100m, hurdlers, polevaulters, Tour de France or Giro D'Italia bicycle racers...

(And frankly I don't think anything of F1 or Formula Whatever drivers..From more than 50 years avoiding watching it it seems they and their fans are like an army of NOTs, and if one NOT is as annoying and lame as we all are familiar with what is thousands of them like? Zombie invasion! Go for head shots only!)

My metaphor to the Merikuhn rich fools wasting money while calling themselves "Professional Wawwy wacers" (try and think of the great cinematic charchter Elmer Fudd) that the pooofing up dilutes the reality...
    Saying "this guy here Häkki Hälarna is the best rally driver in the world" ought to be enough.....without making them to be "atletes" or what next? Saints?
    They aren't..

Except St. Jeanno of course...
    And here's proof so who can argue?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat