Threaded View

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Moral Championship Standings

As result of the Singapore GP thread. And the sense of injustice felt by staunch Lewis Hamilton fans over this season, with his misfortune. It's prompted me to discuss in finer detail, how much of a factor mechanical failures have been, without the trolling.

Personally, While it's unfortunate. I'm hardly moved by a mechanical failure anymore. The whole history of motorsport is full moments where cars have broken down, denying drivers wins or good results. It's as much a part of motorsport as speed and crashing. Motor racing at the top level is about the cars, not the drivers.I mean. The races and racing we take for granted (at the top level), in the early decades of motorsport, were born out of breaking cars.

You think when the Le Mans 24hr was initiated, they thought it was a race that would provide great racing and lots of passing?

To outsiders, oval racing is just some odd form of motorsport that happens in America. Oval racing developed prominence thanks to the significance of the Indy 500. The design of IMS and chosen length of the race wasn't by accident. It was meant to destroy cars.

Even our beloved Grand Prix racing. The highest level of motorsport. The bread and butter of motorsport fans around the world. Nowadays, GP racing is a relative series of short heats. Forget about the half race/half rally type events of 100+ years ago. The earliest Grand Prix "series" I know of, is the 1931 season. The total driving/running time of those races equates to roughly the same total of the 2014 season. The 1931 GP championship season compromised of...3 races!!!

But what I don't do, is acknowledge others feeling of emptiness, when a favoured driver is denied a win or good position. It's been a long time since Nigel Mansell raced. Specifically, it's been a long time since HHF broke down halfway through Nurburgring in 99, controlling the race, and close right in on the title fight he deserved to be in.

So I gone back and had a looedk at specific seasons. I've chosen a fair mathematical equation to work out a projected score. It can be debated if it's unfair. It's supposed to take into account the driver's season form, and any dnf that occurred too early in the race.

The equation is, to take the total score. Divided by the amount of races that did not end with a mechanical problem, or non-driver error (I'll refer to this as a "nde/dnf"). the multiplied by the amount of races in the season. The following are my findings.

Feel free to point out any glaring or contentious points. Feel free to criticise. Just to be clear, a Brownlow medal is the most prestigious individual award (Player of the season, Season MVP) for Australian football.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 1st October 2014 at 17:00.