Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Did you have to remind me and make me feel bad about it? Anyways, I can't understand how anyone can enjoy killing.
    Eki, go on a hunting trip, kill something. cook it and then eat it and see how you feel then.

I've killed things before and eaten them. Only guinea fowl and pheasant though if I'm honest. But the feeling of satisfaction I got by killing and preparing my meal all by myself is something that will live with me forever.

As Richard Hammond of his adrenalin rush after doing the running of the bulls in Pamplona. "it's the caveman running from the sabre tooth tiger". That's the feeling people get when they hunt something. Just for the record I'm very very much against hunting something down just for it's skin or to mount it on your wall but to hunt something down to eat it is just fine by me. What right do people who walk into Sainsbury's or Tesco and pick up a steak have to criticise this boy without knowing if he went hunting for food or not. Do you eat eggs that come from battery hens where the hens are treated like **** and left to live in apalling conditions? Have you eaten Veal and do you know the conditions these poor animals live in just for you to have a tender cut of meat?

I've never heard so much self righteous twaddle in my life.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    My only question is what the hell are they going to do with it now? I mean they could eat it, but something of that size could never be esten in one go. You'd need an industrial size freezer or something
    Here they hunt moose which are way bigger than that (1400 pounds for you imperial people). People take to a butcher to get some parts to freeze and to make sausage. Some families do that and eat it through the whole year (and still give some away to friends).

I don't really see the difference between grabbind some steaks at the supermarket and going hunting yourself (besides the risk, but that's something else; I guess we won't criticize taking risks in a site where we talk about enjoying motorsport).
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Filming episode 18 of Bob called 'Richard, I am your father!' Bob's long lost son!
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkster
    I don't agree with killing stuff for the sake of it... I find it a bit disturbing really. I feel sorry for this huge pig.

people never learn
    Jim Raynor will be returning soon!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Did they have supermarkets where they could get meat specially produced to be eaten? For people who have that privilege I see no need to go hunt wild animals.
    I used to date this girl who didn't like the fact that I hunted. She would say things like the above. Sometimes it's hard for me not to laugh when people say things like this. But I have to wonder if people actually think about what they're saying before they say it sometimes.

When you say "meat specially produced to be eaten", do you mean manic depressive animals that commit suicide... or do you mean captive farm animals, shot so full of growth hormones and antibiotics that I'm amazed every human meat eater hasn't grown a third arm or developed cancer? Actual meat is not "produced". All of it comes from some two or four legged creature that either has his head bashed in, gets his throat cut or takes a bullet to the heart.

When Bessie is walking through the slaughter house and sees her old pal Marge take a knife to the neck, how is that any better than at least getting a running start, and in a boar's case, a "fighting" chance?

When I hunted, wild boars were my favorites too. Like the kid, I hunted with a pistol as well. So you pretty much had to get up close & personal to do the deed... sometimes crawling on your stomach to get within 15 or 20 yards. So if you screwed up or missed your shot, Mr. Russian Boar and his pals got their chance to eat you, instead of the other way around. Now, Mr. Javelina is a different sort of pig. He probably won't eat you... at least not all at once. He's more into chewing on you for a bit, and making you regret that you disturbed his nap... buried under the leaves that you stepped on. Barnyard hogs, on the other hand, have the guy, who they thought was their lifelong buddy, walk up to them and put a .22 hollowpoint into their brains. "Meat specially produced to be eaten", eh?

As big as that thing is, who knows what the meat will taste like. But I read the story somewhere else, and the family seemed to have every intention of eating it. My rule was, if I wasn't going to dress it out, I wouldn't shoot it. But wild boars in this area (and where the kid killed his hog) feed on acorns. Anyone who likes ham and sausage, none is any better than a wild boar fattened on acorns.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    My only question is what the hell are they going to do with it now? I mean they could eat it, but something of that size could never be esten in one go. You'd need an industrial size freezer or something
    In another article I read on this said the pig would be made into sausage, about 700 pounds of sausage. I don't have a problem with hunting, but a 11 year old walking around with a .50 caliber handgun does make me wonder how good an idea this is.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBell
    but a 11 year old walking around with a .50 caliber handgun does make me wonder how good an idea this is.
    Why? If using a handgun, one probably wouldn't hunt a wild boar with anything smaller than a .44 Magnum. The chest and vital organ area on boars is protected by a heavy layer of cartilage and gristle or scar tissue. I once saw a 12 gauge slug do nothing more than bounce off a large boar (maybe 350 pounds) at close range. To get this large, I imagine this hog would have had one helluva chest plate and would have laughed at a .44 Magnum... especially since the .50 didn't do much. I didn't read about where his shot placement was, but I believe I read that it took the kid 8 shots to bring this monster down. Unless you get under the chest plate, you're basically shooting something with a natural bullet proof vest.

This kid wasn't exactly "little" - he clearly hasn't missed too many meals. But I am somewhat surprised that he could handle a .50 caliber revolver. And that he shot it 8 times? That's quite a wrist busting handcannon for even a big adult male.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    mmmmmm... Sausages.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I used to date this girl who didn't like the fact that I hunted. She would say things like the above. Sometimes it's hard for me not to laugh when people say things like this. But I have to wonder if people actually think about what they're saying before they say it sometimes.

When you say "meat specially produced to be eaten", do you mean manic depressive animals that commit suicide... or do you mean captive farm animals, shot so full of growth hormones and antibiotics that I'm amazed every human meat eater hasn't grown a third arm or developed cancer? Actual meat is not "produced". All of it comes from some two or four legged creature that either has his head bashed in, gets his throat cut or takes a bullet to the heart.

When Bessie is walking through the slaughter house and sees her old pal Marge take a knife to the neck, how is that any better than at least getting a running start, and in a boar's case, a "fighting" chance?

When I hunted, wild boars were my favorites too. Like the kid, I hunted with a pistol as well. So you pretty much had to get up close & personal to do the deed... sometimes crawling on your stomach to get within 15 or 20 yards. So if you screwed up or missed your shot, Mr. Russian Boar and his pals got their chance to eat you, instead of the other way around. Now, Mr. Javelina is a different sort of pig. He probably won't eat you... at least not all at once. He's more into chewing on you for a bit, and making you regret that you disturbed his nap... buried under the leaves that you stepped on. Barnyard hogs, on the other hand, have the guy, who they thought was their lifelong buddy, walk up to them and put a .22 hollowpoint into their brains. "Meat specially produced to be eaten", eh?

As big as that thing is, who knows what the meat will taste like. But I read the story somewhere else, and the family seemed to have every intention of eating it. My rule was, if I wasn't going to dress it out, I wouldn't shoot it. But wild boars in this area (and where the kid killed his hog) feed on acorns. Anyone who likes ham and sausage, none is any better than a wild boar fattened on acorns.

You forgot my favorite.

Sudden severe electric shock leading to death and or rupture of the heart, blood vessels in the brain and some other organs. I'll never forget the series of images of watching my uncle use his shock prod on a 350 lbs farm hog. Arguably this method is the most humane way to kill the animal as there is no need for fear or for the animal to be pinned and it is about 99.5% effective (better rate than most of the other methods). But believe me, there is nothing humane about mass agricultural food production.

I have no problem with hunting. Man has eliminated most of the natural predators as well as destabilized the habitat. We've seen tens of thousands of Deer literally starve to death over a period of 2 years sometimes passing on genetic defects to offspring due to overgrazing around here.

To all the anti-hunting people. The kid hunted a boar, a big boar at that. You have to have a lot of tracking skills, determination, bravery, and patience (boar will charge you and a boar that big isn't going down with one shot as soon as you pull the trigger the first time you have a reasonable chance of being mamed or worse). As for the validity of the story, I'm not a small person, and I am comfortable with guns from a shooting perspective, last time I fired a .50 cal handgun as a large adult male it had a wicked kick, the thought of firing off 8 quick rounds with accuracy surprises me.

I'm not a hunter but I have friends and family that are. People that hunt for the pure sport of it (trophy hunters that only want the trophy for instance) disgust me. I can respect people that hunt for the enjoyment and intend to fully utilize the animal. This family intends to use as much as the animal as possible, I'm sad to see such an impressive beast give up its life but this is the order of things as it were and I don't have a problem with it.

But really, too all the self righteous anti-hunting people that still eat meat, go to a slaughter house someday, it will change how you look at things.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior

When you say "meat specially produced to be eaten", do you mean manic depressive animals that commit suicide... or do you mean captive farm animals, shot so full of growth hormones and antibiotics that I'm amazed every human meat eater hasn't grown a third arm or developed cancer?
    No, I mean animals that are taken care for and fed for some time and then they take care and feed you for awhile. It's a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" deal (unfortunately farm animals aren't these days often taken that well care of since people want to maximize their profit). What have you done for wild animals except killed them so that they should feed you? Even if you kill wild animals for food, I don't think it's something to brag about. I don't see butchers on front page news bragging how they just killed the biggest cow ever.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    I would rather have seen a video of that pig alive than see a picture of the animal dead.

The problem I have with hunting is that:

A) In the western world it is NOT necessary to hunt your own food. We have evolved our civilisation well beyond that point. In a very real sense we "manufacture" our food by breeding animals for food. There are problems enough with inhumane animal farming without adding the slaughter of wild animals to the list.

B) The excuse that it takes great skill to track an animal does not override the fact that the animal does not need to be killed at the end of the hunt. You can do all the tracking and what-not and take a video or picture of the animal instead of shooting it. The hunter gets his "kill" along with proof and the animal gets to live. Why blow it's head off with a high powered weapon?

Sometimes wild animals need to be shot. Ferral animals are a problem the world over and these animals need to be culled as they damage the environment that they never should have been in, in the first place. But hunting and culling are two very different things. Sometimes hunters satisfy their bloodlust by combining the two and I have no problem with that, though I donlt understand this need to kill something.

In this case, that pig did not need to be shot. I'm sure the kid could have obtained all the pork sausages he could eat at the supermarket. I find it disturbing that a child is even in that position and has developed a lust for killing a such a young age.

Let me pose a question to all the pro-hunters. Do you agree with the Japanese whaling practices? I'm assuming that you do. After all, what's the difference between shooting a pig with a gun or shooting a whale with a harpoon?
    Forza Ferrari!!