Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Kvyat or Di Resta are the only sensible options to me. Kubica at 90% is not enough. Needs to be 99%. I hope either Kvyat or Paul get the drive. Kubica’s time has come and gone.
    Even at under 100% he is probably better than the others. They got chances and didn't really set the world afire. Kubica should be back if only for a few races to see how he goes.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Even at under 100% he is probably better than the others. They got chances and didn't really set the world afire. Kubica should be back if only for a few races to see how he goes.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with you on this one. But this is the heart talking. From the head, Williams have drifted from a strong 3rd place in the constructors championship to 5th over the last two seasons. This must have had some financial impact to this illustrious multi-world champion privateer team. I think their mindset would be to get back to 3rd place again next season or the one after. Hence they don't have the luxury of experimenting with drivers to see if they could deliver or not. They need a guaranteed option of a driver that is definitely a sure thing to deliver strong high point scoring drives every weekend next season and also able to mentor the fast developing Lance Stroll.

When you look at it from this perspective, then it quickly becomes clear that the Kubica option may be shaky with the likes of Kyvat becoming available. I think Williams have looked at Di Resta's simulator data and have seen that they probably need more, so he is not looking like a real option at the moment. Sirotkin and his millions will not guarantee Williams a move back to 3rd place, hence l don't see this happening either. Werhlein with a Mercedes reduction in Engine price etc is a real option, because l think he can perform as well as Ocon, Verstapenn and Sainz in the Williams.

Kyvat is looking like a realistic option, but has he recovered from being dumped by Redbull. His head went into a spin over the last two seasons which resulted in number of crashes. A change of team would be good for him. But his crash record would be a worry for Williams. I think the Williams environment would be ideal for Kyvat, it would calm him down which would allow Williams to get the best that he can offer out of him.

The other very important factor is age. Picking a driver with a longer shelf life gives Williams an opportunity to grow with a consistent driver lineup that could offer Williams a long period of service. Kyvat and Werhlein are in their twenties and the ideal profile for Williams. Di Resta and Kyvat are in their thirties which in recent F1 era, is close to the Use By date for drivers. They only have a very few years in them. In essence, Williams would be swapping one retiring thirty something for another.

To be honest, l think Kubica would show some impressive performances but can he sustain it over a 21 race season. That nobody knows. It is a huge gamble which will be very famous if it happens and succeeds. But the more l think about it, the clearer it become that it most likely would not happen.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th December 2017 at 09:32.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with you on this one. But this is the heart talking. From the head, Williams have drifted from a strong 3rd place in the constructors championship to 5th over the last two seasons. This must have had some financial impact to this illustrious multi-world champion privateer team. I think their mindset would be to get back to 3rd place again next season or the one after. Hence they don't have the luxury of experimenting with drivers to see if they could deliver or not. They need a guaranteed option of a driver that is definitely a sure thing to deliver strong high point scoring drives every weekend next season and also able to mentor the fast developing Lance Stroll.

When you look at it from this perspective, then it quickly becomes clear that the Kubica option may be shaky with the likes of Kyvat becoming available. I think Williams have looked at Di Resta's simulator data and have seen that they probably need more, so he is not looking like a real option at the moment. Sirotkin and his millions will not guarantee Williams a move back to 3rd place, hence l don't see this happening either. Werhlein with a Mercedes reduction in Engine price etc is a real option, because l think he can perform as well as Ocon, Verstapenn and Sainz in the Williams.

Kyvat is looking like a realistic option, but has he recovered from being dumped by Redbull. His head went into a spin over the last two seasons which resulted in number of crashes. A change of team would be good for him. But his crash record would be a worry for Williams. I think the Williams environment would be ideal for Kyvat, it would calm him down which would allow Williams to get the best that he can offer out of him.

The other very important factor is age. Picking a driver with a longer shelf life gives Williams an opportunity to grow with a consistent driver lineup that could offer Williams a long period of service. Kyvat and Werhlein are in their twenties and the ideal profile for Williams. Di Resta and Kyvat are in their thirties which in recent F1 era, is close to the Use By date for drivers. They only have a very few years in them. In essence, Williams would be swapping one retiring thirty something for another.

To be honest, l think Kubica would show some impressive performances but can he sustain it over a 21 race season. That nobody knows. It is a huge gamble which will be very famous if it happens and succeeds. But the more l think about it, the clearer it become that it most likely would not happen.

The grapevine is suggesting that Williams is going with Sirotkin afterall. Apparently, he outperformed Kubica during the last test, which is reassuring. But if Mercedes really want to get Werhlein that drive, the postponement of the Williams decision suggest they have a real opportunity to put Werhlein in that seat. The question is, do Mercedes see a future with Werhlein?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 8th January 2018 at 19:18.
    William Shakespeare

Has anyone heard anything about this seat yet?
    William Shakespeare

Kyvat has been signed by Ferrari as their development driver. I think Williams has missed a trick here. But l am sure he would rather be racing.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 11th January 2018 at 16:50.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    It's all but confirmed that Sirotkin will get the drive - at least this what all the media outlets are reporting.
    PlanetF1 - http://www.planetf1.com/news/william...rotkin-report/
    + with Kvyat as a Ferrari development driver Skysports says:
    "But he was still one of the frontrunners for the Williams drive, which is now set to be taken by countryman Sergey Sirotkin. The 22-year-old appears to have beaten off competition from Robert Kubica to replace Felipe Massa."

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Williams have lost the last semblance of a respected F1 team with the signing of a 2nd pay driver. It is sad and shameful.

8. Likes: Jarek Z (16th January 2018)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about this seat yet?
    Yes. Sirotkin gets the second seat in Williams.

Robert Kubica signed as Williams reserve and development driver:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...ve-driver.html

https://www.facebook.com/WilliamsF1T...9776025753040/

http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Sad and shameful perhaps, but a never ending sign of a team on it's way down and out. I expect a smaller grid in the next few years.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

11. Likes: truefan72 (16th January 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Sirotkin. Since he outperformed Kubica at a Williams test, he can't be all that bad... either that or Robert is past it, but in either case, I believe Williams' decision to be correct. Let's see.

13. Likes: andyone (16th January 2018)