Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
I would normally agree with you due to my regard for your usually very well thought through comments. But you neglect to factor in the financial hardship that the Lotus team endured this season. They were locked out of their garages at most races this season. Then there were those unusually high levels of driver errors this year that cost Lotus loads of possible points. Considering Maldonado alone, he was responsible for a large quantity of potential points for the team. Hence on paper, your argument would be sound, but under closer scrutiny and analysis, one would find the problem was not due to deficiency of performance of the car but other factors; financial or other, which has caused the Lotus team from realizing their true potential.

You have to remember that Grojean managed to put the Lotus on the podium this year, which l assure you was no easy feat, in the face of the mights of Ferrari and Williams.
There is a point in claims that Lotus chassis was better than appears in pure results sheet. However, considering, how well the Force India was going late in the season, I can't rate it above the FI. Also Lotus' development pace dropped off late in the year.

The issue with finances (or lack of them), is that they influence next year as well. Because 2016 car is largely developed during 2015. Financial hardship of 2015 means a bad car in 2016 - at best they can rectify it slightly with in-season development.

One of the best examples for this is the Brawn GP & Mercedes example. Brawn GP was a cash-strapped team in 2009, yet had a great car, because their car was developed during 2008, when Honda had lots of money. On the flipside the 2009 financial hardships meant that despite Mercedes' takeover the car was no match to RB/Ferrari/McLaren in 2010.