Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    I believe the last new front engine car to appear for qualifying in the Indy 500 was the 1969 Jack Adams Airplanes Special. It was a front engine AWD turbine vehicle. Al Miller practiced in the car but it failed to qualify.
    It was also the last turbine car to be entered in the 500. And to be totally accurate, I believe it did technically qualify the way they play it at Indy and was then bumped from the field by a faster car. At Indy if you complete a qualifying run, you are considered qualified until at least 33 cars turn in a faster time at which point you are considered as bumped (disqualified from the starting lineup).
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 3rd April 2016 at 21:29.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

2. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    In a manner of speaking, the first and last time a midget racing car won a Formula 1 World Championship race was Lee Wallard's "stretched midget" in which he won the 1951 Indianapolis 500.
    Regarding non-championship races-Roger Ward, in his 1.7 liter Kurtis-Offenhauser midget, beat Chuck Daigh, driving a 2.5 liter Maserati 250F Formula 1 car, (and everyone else) in the 1959 Lime Rock open race.

59FormLibreLimeRock.jpg Click to enlarge
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 3rd April 2016 at 22:39.

4. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    First driver killed while leading a World Championship race: Bill Vukovich-1955 Indianapolis 500 (he's the one who goes over the fence and flips violently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjCm-23pL8
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 3rd April 2016 at 23:59.

6. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Regarding non-championship races-Roger Ward, in his 1.7 liter Kurtis-Offenhauser midget, beat Chuck Daigh, driving a 2.5 liter Maserati 250F Formula 1 car, (and everyone else) in the 1959 Lime Rock open race.

59FormLibreLimeRock.jpg Click to enlarge
    I didn't realize that 1959 was such a banner year for Ward. He won at Indy, the Lime rock F Libre race and appeared at the USGP all in the same year. Such a shame he didn't have access to a proper Cooper or something similar for Sebring, he would have acquitted himself well. His only other F1 outing wasn't till 1963 at Watkins Glen in a Lotus-BRM. By then he was 42 and the car wasn't that competitive, he qualified 17th and was a DNF.

8. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    The lasts of front wheel drive:

The last Formula 1 "legal" front wheel drive car to race in a World Championship event was the Blue Crown Spark Plug Special, a Deidt Offenhauser driven by Tony Bettenhausen in the 1952 Indianapolis 500; finishing 24th after starting 30th. Bettenhausen was only driving the car after crashing his primary car in practice.

The last front drive car to run in a World Championship race was the Novi Governor Special, a Kurtis Novi driven by Duke Nalon in the 1953 Indianapolis 500. It was not a legal Formula 1 car because it had a 3 liter supercharged engine - twice the size F1 allowed for blown engines. Nalon finished 11th after starting 26th.

The last front wheel drive car to attempt to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 was in 1967 when the race was no longer on the World Championship schedule. It was the Wynn's Spit-Fire, a Mickey Thompson machine with an MT DOHC Chevrolet engine. The car was driven by Gary Congdon in practice but it failed to qualify.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 4th April 2016 at 04:03.

10. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    The first Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders was Harry Schell's V2 JAP engined Cooper that he ran in the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix.

The last Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders (running in three World Championship Grand Prix events) was the 1971 Lotus 56 with a Pratt & Whitney turbine engine.

12. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    The last Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders (running in three World Championship Grand Prix events) was the 1971 Lotus 56 with a Pratt & Whitney turbine engine.
    I think it also might, in a fashion, be the last Indy car to run in a Formula 1 race.

The first Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders was Harry Schell's V2 JAP engined Cooper that he ran in the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix.
    In addition to being the first instance of an American running in a World Championshhip event, I believe it was the first and last time that a push rod engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix.

15. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    In addition to being the first instance of an American running in a World Championshhip event, I believe it was the first and last time that a push rod engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix.
    From 1950-1960 the Indianapolis 500 was a World Championsip points event and in 1950 and 1952 Cummins Diesel ran I-6 push rod engines in that event but they were 401 cu. in. (6.6 liter) blown monsters that could only run there under special rules and were not "legal" Formula 1 cars. Jimmy Jackson's car in 1950 had a roots supercharger and Freddie Agabashian's mount in 1952 was turbocharged-the first tubocharged racing car I think. I believe it's safe to say that they were the biggest engines to ever compete in a World Championship event.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 5th April 2016 at 00:13.

17. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Harry Schell wangled an entry for the Monaco GP, but set no practice time. His Cooper-Jap starting from the back thus was the first Cooper to start a F1 WC race, as well as the first rear engined entry, even though the car was definitely not a F1 car. All for naught as he failed to complete a lap being involved in a 9 car pile up on lap 1. Because he had no practice time, it is difficult to assess his lap times, but he would have been quite a bit off the pace.

19. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022),Stan Reid (5th April 2016)