Page 19 of 138 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Liked 241 Times in 66 Posts
    Hello everyone, if all goes well my girlfriend and I are leaving next week for a Scandinavian road trip. We travel and sleep in a van, a Hyundai H1. Traditionally, I get to choose what to do on my birthday (29th of July). It has been a lifetime dream of mine to attend a WRC rally, so she hesitantly agreed to drive to Finland with me.

The plan is to leave on the 21st of July, drive through Denmark, the south of Sweden, take the ferry to Turku and drive up to Jyvaskyla. After the rally we would drive up, cross into Norway somehow and drive south again. I'm keen on driving to the Lofoten too, but I'm not sure if it's doable to sleep in a van there...

So here goes... I want to keep the miss happy and as there are lots of Scandinavians on the forum I'm asking the experts themselves! Any tips on places to go to on this trip, apart from Jyvaskyla of course? Beautiful cities, routes or things to do. Any festivals around that time? I read there's a real tradition of theatre in summer too.

My girlfriend is also very afraid it's going to rain a lot on the trip. Is there hope for some sunshine? Sorry for the offtopic!
    Ouninpohja!

2. Likes: AL14 (13th July 2017),Munkvy (13th July 2017)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    The plan is to leave on the 21st of July, drive through Denmark, the south of Sweden, take the ferry to Turku and drive up to Jyvaskyla. After the rally we would drive up, cross into Norway somehow and drive south again. I'm keen on driving to the Lofoten too, but I'm not sure if it's doable to sleep in a van there...
    Don't worry usually the last weekend of july is full of sunshine, this summer however is not so promising...

Which date you are driving from Turku to Jyväskylä? I have same plan on thursday 27th. Need to be working from morning and planning to take a bus at afternoon. Gimme a ride and I share you my wisdom and experience from my previous 28 years in Rally Finland. Also delighted to be your personal guide for 4h drive!

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    So, any speculations? My favourite is Latvala. The gravel pace of the Yaris seems to be there judging by the good results in Sardegna and Poland. Lappi could be fast as well, maybe even for a podium. Neuville has been strong, another podium contender. Ogier will have again as good a finish as he can, but running first will slow him down a bit. Tänak, Paddon, Suninen and Meeke will be fast and get stage wins but also are prone to mistakes. Hänninen could maybe be a bit quicker than his pace this year, but still far from podium. Evans, Sordo and Østberg probably a bit off the pace.

Liked 266 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    So, any speculations? My favourite is Latvala. The gravel pace of the Yaris seems to be there judging by the good results in Sardegna and Poland. Lappi could be fast as well, maybe even for a podium. Neuville has been strong, another podium contender. Ogier will have again as good a finish as he can, but running first will slow him down a bit. Tänak, Paddon, Suninen and Meeke will be fast and get stage wins but also are prone to mistakes. Hänninen could maybe be a bit quicker than his pace this year, but still far from podium. Evans, Sordo and Østberg probably a bit off the pace.
    My dream is top 3 all Finnish drivers. Latvala first Lappi 2nd and suninen 3rd.

Toyota boys have no test limit in Finland. Latvala is expecte to drive 4 days. Toyota will be fast. I think only neuville can fight with Toyota and meeke on friday if its dry.

6. Likes: AnttiL (13th July 2017),electroliquid (14th July 2017)
    Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    it will be Latvala vs Tänak, Finland vs Estonia like in 2003 when Märtin and Grönholm battled ...well this is just my hope

but in reality i think the same guys who were fast in poland will be here too. TOP4 of the championship will the fastest again with Ogier being slowest of them(due to road cleaning and not finding the right setup) and add Paddon and Meeke(if the car allows) into there as well.

Lappi and Suninen will shine but i dont think they will be high in overall....they may be local guys but this is a rally which needs much experience and punishes you right away when you make a little mistake.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

8. Likes: AnttiL (13th July 2017),electroliquid (14th July 2017)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    If it's dry, Lappi and Meeke will absolutely fly on Friday and it'll be really hard for anyone (namely Latvala and Neuville) to catch these two during Saturday and Sunday. I'll go with EP on my bets. If it's wet or if the starting positions are more equal for whatever reason, Latvala and Neuville will be hard to beat.

I hope all three Toyotas are able to post fastest stage times. Hänninen also has a very good starting position on Friday (pending the weather ofcourse) and he should go fast on Finnish roads.

One thing's for sure: it'll be hell of a race.
    Last edited by Allez Andruet; 13th July 2017 at 15:16.

10. Likes: AnttiL (13th July 2017)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    EPL and JML battle would be nice to see. Hanninen is also due for a decent result, but Nueville, Tanak and Ogier will all be fast. Meeke has the most pressure coming in to this event as last years winner and this years issues.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sindroms View Post
    As I understood Tuulilasi magazine is available now. Back in 2015 one of Finnish forumers gave here advice how it could be get in electronic version. Can I ask for the same this year?
    Thanks in advance!
    https://luettavaa.a-lehdet.fi/lehtit...318.1306665821

It´s that "DIGILEHTI" 4,90€
    You may have to google some words...
    but ordering is asking COUNTRY, so it´s possible to order.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Hello everyone, if all goes well my girlfriend and I are leaving next week for a Scandinavian road trip. We travel and sleep in a van, a Hyundai H1. Traditionally, I get to choose what to do on my birthday (29th of July). It has been a lifetime dream of mine to attend a WRC rally, so she hesitantly agreed to drive to Finland with me.

So here goes... I want to keep the miss happy and as there are lots of Scandinavians on the forum I'm asking the experts themselves! Any tips on places to go to on this trip, apart from Jyvaskyla of course? Beautiful cities, routes or things to do. Any festivals around that time? I read there's a real tradition of theatre in summer too.

My girlfriend is also very afraid it's going to rain a lot on the trip. Is there hope for some sunshine? Sorry for the offtopic!
    Which day and ferrycompany will you take to Turku? I´m having the ferry from Stockholm Tuesday night the 25th, at 20.15, Viking Line. From where do you start, i.e. where do you live?
    Weather seems to be quite good in Sweden the weekend before the rally. To far for prognosis rally week in Finland I guess.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Which day and ferrycompany will you take to Turku? I´m having the ferry from Stockholm Tuesday night the 25th, at 20.15, Viking Line. From where do you start, i.e. where do you live?
    Weather seems to be quite good in Sweden the weekend before the rally. To far for prognosis rally week in Finland I guess.
    ja ä förvirra..
    Why drive all the way down to Slussen for Finland båt when Kappelskär is just up the road from you...
    tokoti!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat