Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    It looks like crap. As for those who seem to make the case this will save lots of lives, I doubt it. I've been following f1 since 1996 and I don't recall a single case when this piece of crap would have saved anybody.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    To prevent cheating.

To prevent cheating.

Good question. There's probably a technical answer behind that. The HANS system is supposed to ameliorate that.

Crash fencing and gravel traps. Maybe you want to return to a situation that allowed this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k

Good question. How come nobody has ever thought of putting a roof on the stands?

Drivers are paid to drive motor cars. Maybe you enjoy watching drivers die at the rate of one a fortnight.
    All those things I mentioned would make it safer .
    And , all of them would mean it was less enjoyable to watch .

And , just to be clear , I don't want to see anyone die .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Having the Halo won't bother me from tradition perspective... as long as the drivers don't find it too much of a PITA and vision affecting.
    From the few comments I've heard from the drivers I get the impression the majority would rather not have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Having the Halo won't bother me from tradition perspective... as long as the drivers don't find it too much of a PITA and vision affecting.
    From the few comments I've heard from the drivers I get the impression the majority would rather not have it?
    I think the effect on vision is the primary issue .
    I'd rather have them with a short windscreen than any bars that would affect how much they can see .

They already have very little peripheral vision .
    I think a bar along side the cockpit , instead of the solid surround would also be appropriate , so they can see better .

Indycar is doing research into the windshield idea , and seem to far better understand the parallax problem .

But , again , the rain and/or oil spray would introduce an extra surface , along with the existing visor , to keep clean .

With no disrespect intended to any we have lost , this is a solution to a rare problem , that has potential to make the sport potentially more dangerous for those participating in it .
    Taking away any amount of vision from someone driving a car at extreme speeds is just not safe .

It is stupid .

And , to , rather ironically , be pushed into this reaction by , seemingly , the liability of not having been seen to do something to improve safety from frontal impact , after an incident where a driver went under a piece of track equipment that neither the halo or any windscreen could have helped him survive , is somewhere beyond that .

Oh , and Zico , what's a PITA when it's not pocket bread ?

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Oh , and Zico , what's a PITA when it's not pocket bread ?
    It's where the pocket bread exits it's course.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    It's where the pocket bread exits it's course.
    That flew right over my head .

What a pain in the a$$ .
    Come on , tell me what it means .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    That flew right over my head .

What a pain in the a$$ .
    Come on , tell me what it means .

The correct medical terminology for a broad range of PITA ailments may range from gluteal to rectal or anal trauma.
    The term 'Ring sting' could potentially also fall into that category... although BDunnell on here would be better placed to explain it better. I think he was a doctor?

It's also a more commonly used term for 'major inconvenience'.

Regarding your reply to my earlier question... yeah, fair points well put. Would be hard to disagree even if I wanted to.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I'm not convinced this thing has been adequately tested. Only a few drivers have tried it out, and usually for just one run in one practice session. As Zico mentioned, the reports from the drivers have been mixed. It doesn't appear that it's been tested to the extent where they can be sure it won't cause a visibility problem for some driver in some situation. (We don't know how much simulator work has been done with it, I suppose.)

It's going to be a structural part of the car, so there won't be any going back if they get a couple of races into next season and find it's a problem. The real halos won't be easily removable in the way that the mock-ups are.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    All those things I mentioned would make it safer .
    And , all of them would mean it was less enjoyable to watch.
    I don't think it would make any difference at all to Joe Supermarket out there in TV land.

And , just to be clear , I don't want to see anyone die .
    I know.

Hyperbole is always the art of the incredulous in search of where the boundary lies.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

This thing will stop 17% of flying objects hitting the driver , apparently .
    Thus , we can extrapolate that these objects will still hit the driver 83% of the time .

Is that good enough , or is just good enough to say that they did something ?

Does it leave them with more than 83% of their vision ?

It doesn't seem 17% safer at all .