Page 5 of 277 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 9,308 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Now Autosport knows that Greensmith, Cave and Ingram are selected, with 14 non-brits. https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...ai-wrc-scheme/
    Tom Cave must be favourite out of the Brits as he has already been driving an i20 this year.

Ingram (& Huttunen) has a chance to win the money for an R5 drive via the JERC.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    After Monte and Sweden they looked like by far the best car, same was true for most rallies and in Poland they got max points.
    Then came Finland and Germany, at both rallies they ended as the last manufacturer. In Finland that was probably not so unexpected but in Germany people (including me) thought they would dominate. Even without the mistakes the stagetimes didn't look much better than others, certainly not compared to Monte or Corsica.

Also before Monte their drive lineup was regarded as by far the best for manu title. Now what happens is that Paddon typically messes up on gravel rallies (where he is strongest) and Sordo messes tarmac rallies and brings safe points from gravel. On top of that they still have reliability issues.

Really wondering if some alarm bells are starting to sound at their HQ or they are thinking it's "bad luck".

Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    After Monte and Sweden they looked like by far the best car, same was true for most rallies and in Poland they got max points.
    Then came Finland and Germany, at both rallies they ended as the last manufacturer. In Finland that was probably not so unexpected but in Germany people (including me) thought they would dominate. Even without the mistakes the stagetimes didn't look much better than others, certainly not compared to Monte or Corsica.

Also before Monte their drive lineup was regarded as by far the best for manu title. Now what happens is that Paddon typically messes up on gravel rallies (where he is strongest) and Sordo messes tarmac rallies and brings safe points from gravel. On top of that they still have reliability issues.

Really wondering if some alarm bells are starting to sound at their HQ or they are thinking it's "bad luck".
    My opinion is that the Hyundai was the most 'sorted' and easiest to drive early in the season, but I saw somewhere that it doesn't rely so much on aero (Maybe the VW designer) like the others, and now that in particular the Ford and Toyota are getting the set up of their cars right, the Hyundai doesn't have the last 1 or 2 tenths in pure pace...
    I'm no expert and I'm only saying what I see, but those two cars seem to have a more solid rear end, the Ford seemed prone to understeer earlier in the season, but looks better recently.

4. Likes: Rally Power (20th August 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Yes Ogier wasn't happy with the turn-in on Ford until those new diffs before Portugal. Toyota supposedly changed a lot on engine and looks a bit more stable. Citroen supposedly changes a lot of things.

So might be that others are improving yes, even more reason for alarm bells to ring at Hyundai.

Yes I remember now about the new diffs in the Ford for Portugal...The Toyota engine still sounds a bit flat, but it does seem to go ok, and in the WRC+ commentary Julian Porter did say they had been taking some weight out of the car, so coupled with engine development it seems they are getting there, I think the Yaris has the best chassis balance.
    The Citroen is all over the place, when its got good traction it looks very good, but when the surface is slippery it looks positively evil.
    The Hyundai stills looks good, but the Ford and Toyota in particular just seem to have a bit extra, and even the Shitroen when its in its window...maybe thats where the Hyundai drivers mistakes are coming from, over driving...
    Might all be rubbish however and its just circumstance!

Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    I think the gap to M-Sport is because of the drivers form and consistency this year. Ogier is Ogier while Tänak and Evans have taken a step up as drivers. Tänak has added the consistency to his game while Evans has dared more. All three drivers have been very good this year.

Paddon's year has been rotten to say the least, Sordo is a solid points scorer but he hasn't produced anything special yet this year and besides Spain he probably won't. Neuville has been the main contributor but he's has also thrown away points, small mistakes with big consequences.

M-Sport has a flow going, when one falter the others are there to pick up a podium. The same can't be said about Hyundai.

8. Likes: A FONDO (26th August 2017),Rally Power (20th August 2017),Simmi (21st August 2017),[RMC]Pip (20th August 2017)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    I think the gap to M-Sport is because of the drivers form and consistency this year. Ogier is Ogier while Tänak and Evans have taken a step up as drivers. Tänak has added the consistency to his game while Evans has dared more. All three drivers have been very good this year.

Paddon's year has been rotten to say the least, Sordo is a solid points scorer but he hasn't produced anything special yet this year and besides Spain he probably won't. Neuville has been the main contributor but he's has also thrown away points, small mistakes with big consequences.

M-Sport has a flow going, when one falter the others are there to pick up a podium. The same can't be said about Hyundai.
    cant agree more

I don't deny the M-Sport guys have been driving well, but I just see a relative improvement in pace from them in general, and the car looks like its handling better than earlier in the season.
    You're right, Paddon has had a stinker and Poland aside its been a bit of a disaster for him. I hope it turns around as I like him and would like to see him get back to the level I think he is capable of. Sordo seems to have dropped away as the season has gone on, his speed was great early season but gradually that seems to have wained. He's never really been able to drive a whole rally at the top level, but his relative speed has fallen away. Neuville seems to have lost a bit of his edge too.
    As I said, it's just my ramblings but I think the others have caught up with Hyundais early season pace and in the case of Ford and Toyota maybe just sneaked ahead.

11. Likes: Rally Power (20th August 2017)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Most of the gravel rallies Paddon has had good speed and been let down by the car though - for sure he's had a bad season but you can't blame it all on him, pretty sure he's been let down by the car more times than driving mistakes.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Paddon had power steering failures in Sweden, Portugal and Argentina, a misfire in Mexico, and an electrical failure in Portugal. In Argentina and Monte he rolled the car and in Sardegna and Finland he clipped a wheel. In TDC and Germany he was just off the pace (with some punctures in Germany) and Poland was a clean run.

Sordo had a technical problem on the street stages in Mexico, broke a steering arm in Argentina and had engine problems in Sardegna. Germany was his first true driving error of the season and in Finland he was just off the pace.

Meanwhile, Neuville hasn't really had technical problems slowing him down.