Page 46 of 227 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    That makes sense, thanks a bunch!
    The larger pinion gear on one side would create a larger torque due to its larger radius.
    Correct.
    I am pleased it was useful.

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF View Post
    Nick, that’s a solution I’ve never seen before. Does such differential actually exist?

Audi has a nice looking solution for torque split. This crown gear differential has a torque split front/rear = 40/60. The rear axle is rotated with a bigger diameter/radius than the front axle and therefore get more torque.
    etc etc
    Very interesting also. Somehow I doubt the center diff on WRC cars are viscous couplings though. They intuitively seem like a big wear point (but I could be wrong).

Liked 1,462 Times in 835 Posts
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Just quotes from the Matton interview I posted a couple of days ago.

Liked 1,462 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Just quotes from the Matton interview I posted a couple of days ago.
    Just shows you how slow are Autosport with their news....
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

6. Likes: pantealex (7th July 2017)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Anyway on the topic of Meeke in Finland. No matter how he performs people will always point out that they were right and others were wrong.

If he does well
    - fans will say it shows he should have never been dropped
    - the other side will say it shows that getting dropped made him more stable

If he does bad
    - fans will say it's because of the pressure after he was dropped
    - opponents will say it shows it was right to drop him and that he has serious issues

But clearly for his future not only at Citroen but also in other teams It will be rather important. Worst he can do is push and crash along the way, even if it's from 1 min lead on last stage. That said driving carefully and ending 8th without any top positions probably won't help either. Anything above 6th (or more precisely after Neuville, Ogier, Latvala, Tanak, Paddon but before all the rest), should be ok. Top3 result beating 1-2 of those will be like a win.

8. Likes: itix (9th July 2017),lankey555 (6th July 2017),pantealex (7th July 2017),steve.mandzij (6th July 2017),[RMC]Pip (7th July 2017)
    Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    One the other hand, anything less than a dominant win (like 2016), will be a true measure of the deficit of the shortcomings of the car. If he does manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat... well... what do you say... he is a legend in Finland, or they have sorted the car? Suppose it depends on his advantage over his team mate. Still dont quite understand why Mikkelsen is not entered in Finland? It it truly because there was no car, or Mikkelsen really didnt want to do it? Still, I think the team needs to give a very clear public statment of what they want from Meeke, but at the minute it looks like they are pushing him for a win, to pull them out of the PR shithole.
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Anyway on the topic of Meeke in Finland. No matter how he performs people will always point out that they were right and others were wrong.

If he does well
    - fans will say it shows he should have never been dropped
    - the other side will say it shows that getting dropped made him more stable

If he does bad
    - fans will say it's because of the pressure after he was dropped
    - opponents will say it shows it was right to drop him and that he has serious issues

But clearly for his future not only at Citroen but also in other teams It will be rather important. Worst he can do is push and crash along the way, even if it's from 1 min lead on last stage. That said driving carefully and ending 8th without any top positions probably won't help either. Anything above 6th (or more precisely after Neuville, Ogier, Latvala, Tanak, Paddon but before all the rest), should be ok. Top3 result beating 1-2 of those will be like a win.

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    I agree. If he stays in the top 5 or even gets a 4th place which is would be better than any other Citroen driver has done as of yet he will look good.

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    One the other hand, anything less than a dominant win (like 2016), will be a true measure of the deficit of the shortcomings of the car. If he does manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat... well... what do you say... he is a legend in Finland, or they have sorted the car? Suppose it depends on his advantage over his team mate. Still dont quite understand why Mikkelsen is not entered in Finland? It it truly because there was no car, or Mikkelsen really didnt want to do it? Still, I think the team needs to give a very clear public statment of what they want from Meeke, but at the minute it looks like they are pushing him for a win, to pull them out of the PR shithole.
    For reality check last year he was driving as 10th on the road for 3 whole days. In Finland the differences are often rather small so even 0.1-0.2 s/km possible advantage makes a big difference. And yes due to results so far this year he will also have very good road position on friday, but on saturday it should get much more even.

The only thing Citroen does not want him to do is to crash (especially early in the rally). Anything above 6th is good, 3rd and better is very good. (off course depending whom you actually beat and how Breen does)

Historically Finland is prbly Mikkelsen's worst rally, second only to Sardinia. Last year he won 2 stages, and was 3rd, then Ogier had a brake problem and Mikkelsen had to clean the road for rest of Saturday... dropping 5 places. Before that he has one 4th place as best. So I don't think he was very eager to push for Finland start. Breen was 3rd last year in his first ever podium and therefore was a clear candidate to drive. So it was prbly mutual agreement. For Mikkelsen's career prospects it's much better to get a drive on tarmac in Germany, I think he is now eager to try other options than helping Citroen fix the car, seeing that drivers from all 3 other manufacturers are fighting for the title.
    Last edited by mknight; 6th July 2017 at 22:32.

Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    For reality check last year he was driving as 10th on the road for 3 whole days. In Finland the differences are often rather small so even 0.1-0.2 s/km possible advantage makes a big difference. And yes due to results so far this year he will also have very good road position on friday, but on saturday it should get much more even.
    Of all the gravel rallys this is the least, if any, advantage for road position. he was substantially faster than other driver around him. anyways, we will see.

The only thing Citroen does not want him to do is to crash (especially early in the rally). Anything above 6th is good, 3rd and better is very good. (off course depending whom you actually beat and how Breen does)
    My point is Citroen need to say that in the pre event presser. no?

Historically Finland is prbly Mikkelsen's worst rally, second only to Sardinia.
    right, so Poland was supposed to be his best.