Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mads Ostberg

Liked 149 Times in 33 Posts

Mads Ostberg

It's a shame that Mads isn't able to go faster than what he is currently showing.

It seems to me that he has the gift of driving, and the adequate balls, not even mentionning the experience...and car.
    I have a feeling that his pace notes are not precise enough. I am just looking at his driving and cannot understand his norwegian notes so not sure...but that's what it looks like to my eye anyway.

I mean by that:

1. the excessive sideways driving
    2. the lack of commitment on specific fast entry corners into dead slow ones (when it's blind only).

In my view these are signs of a good driver who is unsure about EXACTLY what the upcoming corners are like and/or the distances between them (exact racing lines and braking points).

Maybe a bit of coaching would do him good.

That's my two cents.

Any ideas?
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.com

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I agree, i think its a confidence thing which is a result of notes. Maybe a change in system isquired? Kris is showing the car still has the pace so I think Mads just needs to get the confidence back.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    In a previous era, without pace-notes, driving sideways was the safest way to get around corners – not knowing how much a corner tightened.
    Now with pace-notes, and stages repeated year on year – this shouldn’t happen. As already said; maybe Mads needs to rethink his pacenote system?
    And whilst sideways looks spectacular – it’s not the quickest way; circuit style driving seems to be the most efficient way to drive these cars.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

4. Likes: zoob (26th August 2014)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Probably he reached his limit and it is not good enough... no progress for some time now.

how many times have we seen a mediocre fast driver to change his notes or co driver and become a contender ?? i do not recall any case.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    In a previous era, without pace-notes, driving sideways was the safest way to get around corners – not knowing how much a corner tightened.
    Now with pace-notes, and stages repeated year on year – this shouldn’t happen. As already said; maybe Mads needs to rethink his pacenote system?
    And whilst sideways looks spectacular – it’s not the quickest way; circuit style driving seems to be the most efficient way to drive these cars.
    Which, in turn, is extremely boring to watch, unless one is impressed by the sight of a car cornering as if on rails. And to think people wonder why the sport is dying...

7. Likes: AndyRAC (26th August 2014),janvanvurpa (26th August 2014)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    Which, in turn, is extremely boring to watch, unless one is impressed by the sight of a car cornering as if on rails. And to think people wonder why the sport is dying...
    there is always drift championships and ghymkhana for people like you where you can see real drivers going sideways all the time.... not need to bother with rallying.

9. Likes: A FONDO (26th August 2014),makinen_fan (26th August 2014),zoob (26th August 2014)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    It's not boring for everybody, sideways look like somewhat struggling to me, it's not very entertentaining.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

11. Likes: A FONDO (26th August 2014)
    Liked 825 Times in 373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    Probably he reached his limit and it is not good enough... no progress for some time now.

how many times have we seen a mediocre fast driver to change his notes or co driver and become a contender ?? i do not recall any case.
    Not that he is a contender in WRC. But Maurin improved a lot since he drives with Klinger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousti View Post
    Not that he is a contender in WRC. But Maurin improved a lot since he drives with Klinger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
    Big time improvement since Klinger joined him. Sure, he'll never set the world on fire but he's middle league now compared to previous seasons when he was near the bottom of the league.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    But what is the solution? You can't un-invent technology. Do we give them more power and make them RWD? Encourage event organisers to stop using the same stages year on year? I won't even suggest getting rid of pace-notes....that's not going to happen.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???